The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jim Benning to sign Milan Lucic to 7 year, $49 million contract on July 1, 2016

Benning should be fired and never allowed in BC again if that contract happens. In no way should Lucic be making more money than the Sedins. The Sedins are much older and haven't fallen off the way that Lucic has at a younger age. 5M for 2 years is all he's worth at this point.

Benning should be fired and never allowed in BC again if that contract happens. In no way should Lucic be making more money than the Sedins. The Sedins are much older and haven't fallen off the way that Lucic has at a younger age. 5M for 2 years is all he's worth at this point.

Seeing how Lucic's game doesn't drop off when the playoffs roll around (it can be argued his game actually elevates to another level when the playoffs kick off), and he's still clipping along at >0.5 points per game, I'd say he's easily worth as much as the Sedins.

Do you honestly think having Brandon Prust and Derek Dorsett makes it a "safer working environment" for any kids that are about come up? Two middleweights aren't going to cut it. You still need heavyweights who can play the game. Lucic is still one of those guys.

You know who else is going to create a "safe working environment"? The kids themselves. Horvat, Gaunce, Virtanen, Grenier and quite possibly Jensen will be more than able to take care of themselves. If we believe what Benning is telling us, Pedan is another youngster who will take care of the soft old players on the roster. Truth of the matter is, it's not the young players that need protection...it's the soft old core that needs protection.

• 2 weeks later...

After what happened in the handshake line with Montreal and frankly, every other goonish thing he has done, I would hate to see Benning give a pile of money to Lucic and I would hate for him to play for the team i cheer for.

After what happened in the handshake line with Montreal and frankly, every other goonish thing he has done, I would hate to see Benning give a pile of money to Lucic and I would hate for him to play for the team i cheer for.

Well it won't be your decision to make.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vey (Triplets line)

Lucic-Sutter-Virtanen

Now all we need Is défense. I think Vrbata Will Be gone to free up Cap for looch.

No doubt, I would love to see this lineup now. At first I was skeptical about Looch, but now with the Sutter trade we have the speedy, forechecking center that is needed to play with him. We need some nasty in our lineup, if the Sedins play for another 4-5 years we could really make some noise, if we get some D like you said.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vey (Triplets line)

Lucic-Sutter-Virtanen

Now all we need Is défense. I think Vrbata Will Be gone to free up Cap for looch.

Lucic would not be a third liner. And there's no way Vey is a second liner in the league. C'mon man!

Lucic / Horvat / Virtanen

Don't care if they play 1st line or 3rd. It even has some speed up the middle and definitely down the right side.

Mature playing weight 235 / 222 / 225 lbs? Someone could complain its missing a key play maker, or Horvat should be in different role? I don't care...

That would be such an imposing, physical line! :towel:

If possible I want JB to sign a left wing and a right wing in FA next year. With the cap space we'll be getting through Vrbata and Hamhuis (trade deadline preferably). We may have enough to fit in a defenceman but i would focus more on the wingers. In the 2016-2017 season this could be a really good lineup.

Lucic-Horvat-Okposo

Sedin-Sedin-Baerchi

Higgins-Vey-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado

Hutton-Biega

Miller

Markstrom

A better lineup and prospects/picks aquired from the deadline

If possible I want JB to sign a left wing and a right wing in FA next year. With the cap space we'll be getting through Vrbata and Hamhuis (trade deadline preferably). We may have enough to fit in a defenceman but i would focus more on the wingers. In the 2016-2017 season this could be a really good lineup.

Lucic-Horvat-Okposo

Sedin-Sedin-Baerchi

Higgins-Vey-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado

Hutton-Biega

Miller

Markstrom

A better lineup and prospects/picks aquired from the deadline

What happened to Sutter? That's a terrible looking defense too.

What happened to Sutter? That's a terrible looking defense too.

The defence probably wont be that bad as the young guys have progressed corrado imo will be a top 4 soon and sbisa arguably already is along with his steady improvement it likely wont be that bad a defence. And why would we need sutter when vey will likely be ready for a top 9 role so traded for picks and prospects. Vey has shown that while rising through the ranks he always improves his second year in leagues as he gets more used to it. And if vey doesnt work then you keep sutter.

The defence probably wont be that bad as the young guys have progressed corrado imo will be a top 4 soon and sbisa arguably already is along with his steady improvement it likely wont be that bad a defence. And why would we need sutter when vey will likely be ready for a top 9 role so traded for picks and prospects. Vey has shown that while rising through the ranks he always improves his second year in leagues as he gets more used to it. And if vey doesnt work then you keep sutter.

Hutton and Biega would get murdered. You don't throw 2 rookies together like that.

LOL even if Vey manages to play decent center minutes, no way in hell does he make Sutter expendable. JB is about to sign him up long term cause of defensive prowess.

If Vrbata and Higgins do come off the books next year....

I would target Erriksson, Backes,Brouwer, Lucic,Helm, and Grabner as my top forward targets who either add plenty of speed and maybe some scoring or guys with size who could really beef up the Canucks.

On d it would probably be going after a guy like Byfuglien, Yandle, or Franson.

If the Canucks can land two or three of these guys it would really take some pressure off having to make trades and giving young players time to develop another year.

Next years lineup potentially:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Brouwer

Helm-Sutter-Hansen

Kenins-Vey-Dorsett

Grenier,

D

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Sbisa-Corrado

Bartowski, Biega/Weber or other depth d guy with experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Unless he absolutely lights it up in LA like no other since Neely there's no damned chance he gets $7 million per year

And if benning offers him anything more than $5 million he's on frigging glue. He's worth $5 million tops for his production and I'd be loathe to sign him for more than 2-3 years at a stretch in case he gets complacent.

The idea with a UFA is to outbid others, not land a nice fair deal. If we get him, it won't be on some 'fair' deal.

Archived