The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jim Benning to sign Milan Lucic to 7 year, $49 million contract on July 1, 2016

I would love to see Lucic on the Canucks but man, a 7 year $49M deal? You've got to be insane to give Lucic that.

Is it?

That's what it costs to have him on any team, it becomes a good deal. Having Lucic on your team is better than not having Lucic on your team.

A seven year term is scary and I don't think a team run by Benning or a player like Lucic would handicap the Canucks like that. If there's already an understanding between the two by de facto of a blatantly obvious eventuality, the term will probably be shorter.

I also think the league is finally starting to manage finances a bit better. No one team jumped the gun and paid insane prices for relatively fine players this UFA season. "Big" names are still available almost a week into free agency.

Times are changing and term is a bit shorter. What will never change is, having "THE prototypical power forward in the game today" on your team drastically improves your team's chances of winning the Cup.

I would personally be fine with seven chances at the Cup with Lucic on the Canucks. $7,000,000/yr at 34 years old. I'm fine with that.

Is it?

That's what it costs to have him on any team, it becomes a good deal. Having Lucic on your team is better than not having Lucic on your team.

A seven year term is scary and I don't think a team run by Benning or a player like Lucic would handicap the Canucks like that. If there's already an understanding between the two by de facto of a blatantly obvious eventuality, the term will probably be shorter.

I also think the league is finally starting to manage finances a bit better. No one team jumped the gun and paid insane prices for relatively fine players this UFA season. "Big" names are still available almost a week into free agency.

Times are changing and term is a bit shorter. What will never change is, having "THE prototypical power forward in the game today" on your team drastically improves your team's chances of winning the Cup.

I would personally be fine with seven chances at the Cup with Lucic on the Canucks. $7,000,000/yr at 34 years old. I'm fine with that.

You definitely make some good points, and I do agree with a lot of what you're saying. My only real problem is, Lucic has only got more than 50 points three times (62, 61, and 59). In the shortened season he had 27 points in 46 games. Maybe he could've got 23 more points if it was a full season? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, so he's notched more than 50 points four times (I'm including the shortened season (giving the benefit here)) and so I feel like it would be very foolish (my opinion anyways) to give him $7M per.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want Lucic, by all means I think he would be an amazing Canuck (or hopefully he would be) but that's way too much money for a guy who can't consistently put up 50+ points. Ideally first line players should be able to put out 60-70+ points every season, or close to. I would say $5-5.5M, maybe $5.75M would be the best case scenario to grab a guy like Lucic.

Here's to wishful thinking anyways!

Yup that's my price too, and depending what he shows this year in LA. Play him with the Sedins as their contract runs out at the same time, then we can decide what to do with him.

Good point. That was the same problem / mistake that Benning made when he signed Miller. Lack was already on the books until the end of 2015-16 and would have to have been renewed at a much bigger number before Miller's 3 year contract came up so there would be overlap and a difficult cap situation.

Notice how he renewed Markstrom at 2 years so that both Markstrom's and Miller's contracts would be due at the same time. He's going to have to make a decision then but the decision will be based solely on merit and not affected by a contract.

I'd rather not have Lucic but at least synchronise the big contracts. If he gave Lucic a longer term, he may not be able to resign the Sedins even if he wanted to.

I think at the deadline we will trade any from 2 to 5 players and Benning will give younger guys play time.I just think we will see us sigings in two to 3 years when we have more young guys on the team!One to replace Vrbata or Hamhuis is all I can see us doing!

Is it?

Who would you say was the prototypical power winger with Chicago or Tampa Bay this year?

He had 8 more points than Chris Higgins last season with 4 more GP. We complain about paying Higgins 2.5 million. Lucic is obviously a completely different player with his physical element, but one could argue the same about Higgins defensive play.

He is not a player worth 7 million, maybe a few years ago he was. He is a 3.5 million dollar player skill wise who is worth 5 million because he is big, hits, and fights.

I would do 6 years 5 million per, which is good pay for a solid 2nd line player. He is not a franchise level talent.

Good point. That was the same problem / mistake that Benning made when he signed Miller. Lack was already on the books until the end of 2015-16 and would have to have been renewed at a much bigger number before Miller's 3 year contract came up so there would be overlap and a difficult cap situation.

Notice how he renewed Markstrom at 2 years so that both Markstrom's and Miller's contracts would be due at the same time. He's going to have to make a decision then but the decision will be based solely on merit and not affected by a contract.

I'd rather not have Lucic but at least synchronise the big contracts. If he gave Lucic a longer term, he may not be able to resign the Sedins even if he wanted to.

Don't see that happening. They will transition back to Sweden at the end of these contracts. The final pieces of the old "core" gone.

Benning should be fired and never allowed in BC again if that contract happens. In no way should Lucic be making more money than the Sedins. The Sedins are much older and haven't fallen off the way that Lucic has at a younger age. 5M for 2 years is all he's worth at this point.

Archived