The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning will NOT attempt to re-sign Hamhuis or Vrbata this summer

Warhippy

I honestly see them keeping Hamhuis. Hes the kind of guy you keep as you bring in the young guys, plus hes still an excellent dman.

Hammer is still excellent and is probably my favorite Canuck. But I favor trading him at the deadline and re-signing him in the summer of 2016.

Give him a shot at winning a Cup with a contending team (Anaheim anyone?), get a first round pick, then sign him in the summer and let him be the veteran D guy as the team builds to become a contender again in the 2 or 3 (or maybe 4) years.

For sure, a sniper like Vrbata with 8 career playoff goals will definitly be an asset that all contenders will fight over. A proven playoff performer like that will command a huge premium, you think?

A team has to get to the playoffs and then there is playoff positioning.

Maybe later this summer for both. Wait until like August 1 or so then pull the trigger. It will be an unfavourable move unless they get what they need.

Hammer is still excellent and is probably my favorite Canuck. But I favor trading him at the deadline and re-signing him in the summer of 2016.

Give him a shot at winning a Cup with a contending team (Anaheim anyone?), get a first round pick, then sign him in the summer and let him be the veteran D guy as the team builds to become a contender again in the 2 or 3 (or maybe 4) years.

While this is by far the best option, it's not terribly likely to happen. If it was certain to work out, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

FINALLY Benning does something smart for once involving trades. He is advertising these 2 players beforehand. Now all the contenders will imagine what their team will look like with the addition of Hamhuis, or Vrbata. And the calls will come when trade deadline nears.

That certainly is the other way of looking at it. The only issue I have with that line of thinking is does it hurt the team in the short term, knowing those guys are trade bait.

That certainly is the other way of looking at it. The only issue I have with that line of thinking is does it hurt the team in the short term, knowing those guys are trade bait.

how, all he said was that they WOULDN'T be resigned THIS SUMMER. they can still be resigned during the year/at the end of the season

I have to wonder how often that happens. I can't recall it ever really working out.

Why is this ever a factor? Lots of good/great players never get a sniff. He and Bieksa are not Ray Bourque and even then I don't think the Bs owed Bourque anything.

how, all he said was that they WOULDN'T be resigned THIS SUMMER. they can still be resigned during the year/at the end of the season

You must not have read my earlier post. I was playing devils advocate in this one.

If I read his quote properly he didn't even quite say that either lol.

Best case scenario is we trade them both at the TD for late 1st round pick from contenders, then Hamhuis pulls a Vermette and re sign with us in the summer. Lol

I came here to say this! Is it possible this can happen? He does have his whole family here and his ownership of his junior team ( kamloops blazer i think??)

Nashville lost Hamhuis in his prime and Ryan Suter in his prime for absolutely nothing.

It happens.

So sad but true. Hammer knows not all players hoist the cup. Of course all want that opportunity. I think he would be ok with getting paid staying in his home province and mentoring some youngin's.... not a bad day job :P

He has a full year to re-sign hamhuis OR vrbata.....since they still have 1 year left on their contracts, I don't really see the need to re-sign them RIGHT NOW. And it doesn't matter if he tells the world, once TD comes around, teams making that final playoff push WILL trade for these types of players regardless of their term.

Is reading comprehension still a thing in school??

It doesn't say he will not attempt to re-sign them PERIOD, it just says THIS SUMMER.......

JEEZUS....

Is it for you? I havent read a single post where the poster doesnt understand that.

You must not have read my earlier post. I was playing devils advocate in this one.

If I read his quote properly he didn't even quite say that either lol.

I was more targeted at the general public than a specific poster

I would start shopping them now. Benning has already said that he will not resign them so why wait? You stand a better chance of getting a decent return now than you will when everyone knows that you will be a seller.

You mean like buying low and selling high? You know, the most overused statement in business.

I would start shopping them now. Benning has already said that he will not resign them so why wait? You stand a better chance of getting a decent return now than you will when everyone knows that you will be a seller.

Francesco Aquilini

Archived