The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report)Baertschi will not accept qualifying offer

jono2009

If I'm JB, I'd sign Baertschi to the same deal as Kenins...one year one way at $600K. Baertschi did as much as Kenins to deserve a one way deal, and Baertschi did as much as Kenins did to be paid $600K.

Drafting matters. If this was the case, why don't you just re negotiate your top pick contracts and watch them go running. Good thing you're not JB.

I'm beginning to see why Calgary cut bait with him. Benning should have done a little more homework on this headcase.

I cannot believe you would say something like that. "Headcase." Why is someone a head case when he asks for a raise. Did you consider yourself a head case when you asked for your first raise?

Drafting matters. If this was the case, why don't you just re negotiate your top pick contracts and watch them go running. Good thing you're not JB.

Last time I checked, Baertschi wasn't drafted by the Canucks. He's an acquired asset who's worth keeping and giving a legit shot at making the opening day roster, but it has to be done within reason.

Last time I checked, Baertschi has done little to warrant a long term, one-way ELC+1 contract. Kid wants a one way deal. Give it to him...but expect him to make concessions on his part to get the one way deal. Give him the opportunity to earn a long term deal next summer after he's shown that he has what it takes to be a permanent fixture on the Canucks roster.

Until then, why would you offer him anything more? Oh right, because he was a Canucks draft pick.

I cannot believe you would say something like that. "Headcase." Why is someone a head case when he asks for a raise. Did you consider yourself a head ase when you asked for your first raise?

Personally, I don't think he's asking for a raise on the AAV of his ELC+1 contract. By the sounds of it, he's looking for a one way deal, which shouldn't be considered a risk from the Canucks' perspective.

Give him his one-way contract, but give it to him under the condition he takes lesser AAV than his ELC. Give him a year to prove that he's deserving of a long term higher AAV contract.

The qualifying offer is the minimum raise the team can offer to retain the players rights. Very few rfa's actually accept that offer. It simply buys the team time to negotiate. This is nothing new.

Don't really see why a one way deal would be a stumbling block. If he needs to be sent down to the ahl he be very unlikely to clear waivers and would be off our books anyway.

NEWS 1130 Sports

@NEWS1130Sports 3h

Hearing that #Canucks forward Sven Baertschi will not accept his qualifying offer. Hearing Baertschi wants a 1 way contract.

So is this just all rumour and conjecture. Do you have a reference that we can rely on or is the media playing with you.

Panic city once again. The media drop a tidbit rumour and the trolling starts. Go figure that CDC

Personally, I don't think he's asking for a raise on the AAV of his ELC+1 contract. By the sounds of it, he's looking for a one way deal, which shouldn't be considered a risk from the Canucks' perspective.

Give him his one-way contract, but give it to him under the condition he takes lesser AAV than his ELC. Give him a year to prove that he's deserving of a long term higher AAV contract.

Agree. This is not a panic situation, but guys like Blunt make it one

Agree. This is not a panic situation, but guys like Blunt make it one

Drama queens will be drama queens...

Don't know why some panties get all bunched up when said player exercises his rights and said team exercises their rights. Anyways, I'm sure a deal will get done.

Did you see Benning shake his head and roll his eyes at some of the Canucks season ticket members at the Summit? Imagine the head shake, eye rolling and laughing of his @$$ off if he ever visited this site. At least for us, this is great entertainment.

The qualifying offer is the minimum raise the team can offer to retain the players rights. Very few rfa's actually accept that offer. It simply buys the team time to negotiate. This is nothing new.

Don't really see why a one way deal would be a stumbling block. If he needs to be sent down to the ahl he be very unlikely to clear waivers and would be off our books anyway.

Exactly. I doubt that the 1-way, 2-way clause is even an issue. 1-way, 2-way is about salary in different Leagues. There is no way he makes it through waivers, therefore a 2-way does not affect us in any way. He is probably looking for term.

Exactly. I doubt that the 1-way, 2-way clause is even an issue. 1-way, 2-way is about salary in different Leagues. There is no way he makes it through waivers, therefore a 2-way does not affect us in any way. He is probably looking for term.

You could easily be right about 1 vs 2 way not being the issue. A couple of weeks ago there was a thread on here started by a quote from News 1130 that Baertschi's agent was looking for a longer term. I'm not sure of the credibility of the source. The thread is at http://forum.canucks.com/topic/370435-report-baertschi-looking-for-a-longer-term-deal/

Burke is a smart dude, that's why I am a little nervous about this trade. However he is younger then kassian and has a lot to prove.

The guy who traded RJ Umberger for Martin Rucinsky?

He has been known to make bad trades himself.

Burke is a smart dude, that's why I am a little nervous about this trade. However he is younger then kassian and has a lot to prove.

The impression I got was that Baertschi didn't fit the player profile that Burkie wanted. He saw him as second fiddle to Gaudreau.

1 way vs 2 way shouldn't be an issue because Baer wouldn't clear waivers anyways. Term is likely the issue because Benning is trying to sign everybody to 1 year deals. I expect that's why he let Ritchie go after he said that he was going to try and keep him.

As to the delay, does anybody know where Baer is summering? If he is yodeling up a mountain is Switzerland, the logistics of negotiation may be more complicated.

The impression I got was that Baertschi didn't fit the player profile that Burkie wanted. He saw him as second fiddle to Gaudreau.

That's pretty much how I saw it too. If you've already got a player like Gaudreau, there's not much room in the lineup for another player like him in your top 6.

Archived