The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report)Baertschi will not accept qualifying offer

jono2009

If I'm the Canucks I'm using Grigorenko's one way, one year $675k contract as a benchmark in these negotiations.

If it's a two year bump it to $850k and three year to $1.1mil, or thereabouts.

There are too many similarities in their respective situations to not use it as a comparable, IMHO.

I think the three year contract is the way to go.

If he's given minutes in the top 6 he's going to put up points. Then we'll end up paying him alot more next summer.

I think the three year contract is the way to go.

If he's given minutes in the top 6 he's going to put up points. Then we'll end up paying him alot more next summer.

I think it's probably the least likely scenario for both parties though I'd be happy up to $1.3 mil per for three.

I suspect that the team will get him for two at just around a mil.

As many of the young Canucks like Vey, Corrado and Clendening, Baertschi would be perfect for a short-term, 1 or 2 year at 1-2M bridge contract. He's done nothing so far at the NHL level to earn any more. You don't get paid 2-3M for being an AHL star.

Benning should be comparing his next contracts to those he just dished out to players his same age and similar position on this team, and Vey is as close as it gets on the Canucks.

People keep saying "he's done nothing at the NHL leveL" but that's not quite true. He's got 30 points in 69 games (Horvat had 25 in 69 this year) over 4 seasons, including 2 goals in the 3 games he played with the Canucks after the trade. That counts for something, and certainly his AHL experience is a predictor so counts somewhat as well.

I'm certainly not expecting we break the bank to sign him, but they aren't looking for basically the qualifying offer but with an extra year or two either.

If I'm the Canucks I'm using Grigorenko's one way, one year $675k contract as a benchmark in these negotiations.

If it's a two year bump it to $850k and three year to $1.1mil, or thereabouts.

There are too many similarities in their respective situations to not use it as a comparable, IMHO.

He had a cap hit of $894K on his last deal (with $925K NHL salary in the first two years due to the signing bonus, the first year of which was during his contract slide to explain the $832.5K salary in this final year) so he'd likely be getting an increase on that I'd think. If a 2-year deal was going to offer less money than the QO, I'd think he'd take the QO and see what he can do from there.

In CDC world, 2 recent contracts make a trend. What about Vey or Vrbata? Those were "his guys" too. And not many people seem to be griping about Bartkowski's contract given the term.

It's almost like you've omitted the majority of JB's signings just to fit your narrative. Hmmmm....

Well, I'd just say that giving Vey a one way contract fits my narrative perfectly. Vrbata is 34, he's everybody's guy.

Well, I'd just say that giving Vey a one way contract fits my narrative perfectly. Vrbata is 34, he's everybody's guy.

What difference does his one way deal really make? If they try to send him the minors he won't clear waivers and will be off the books anyway. And you're kidding yourself if you think a team won't grab Vey for free. His $1m for 1 year is a peanuts contract.

What difference does his one way deal really make?

A lot of CDCers learned about hockey through EA sports. In the fantasy world a player can be sent down to the AHL without clearing waivers as long as he is on a 2 way contract. Most people don't realize that the only thing a 2 way contract does is save the owner money if a player isn't in the NHL.

This thread is the ugly side of needing to know everything. So many assumptions being made about someone's character.

What is happening is fairly standard. His agent is looking out for his client by trying to get the best deal possible. That's it. All reports say Baertschi is in Vancouver and training with teammates. This isn't a NFL type hold out where he wants more signing bonus or something like that.

Not sure if it's been posted as I checked, but apparently it'll take a 'few weeks' before Baertschi signs.

Yeah, it was posted 4 days ago when it came out. Pretty hard to find any information on the Canucks that was missed after a day has passed, let alone 4.

a0e39ab4915fd39d858209947729b472.png

Not sure if it's been posted as I checked, but apparently it'll take a 'few weeks' before Baertschi signs.

I am really puzzled by the comment about "cap issues". What cap issues can possibly arise that make a delay of a few weeks important? The Canucks have plenty of room to sign Baertschi for a million or so. And how will anything change in a few weeks. Team are limited in how far over the cap they can do during the summer but the Canucks are nowhere near that limit unless they are about to sign an expensive free agent.

The main constraint is just that the team needs to be down to the Cap by opening day. How does a delay in signing Baertschi help anything?

Or does the reference to the Cap just mean that they are still negotiating?

I am really puzzled by the comment about "cap issues". What cap issues can possibly arise that make a delay of a few weeks important? The Canucks have plenty of room to sign Baertschi for a million or so. And how will anything change in a few weeks. Team are limited in how far over the cap they can do during the summer but the Canucks are nowhere near that limit unless they are about to sign an expensive free agent.

The main constraint is just that the team needs to be down to the Cap by opening day. How does a delay in signing Baertschi help anything?

I imagine one of Hansen, Higgins, or Prust is moved before the season starts.

Lots of moving pieces still out there re: the UFA market...

What difference does his one way deal really make? If they try to send him the minors he won't clear waivers and will be off the books anyway. And you're kidding yourself if you think a team won't grab Vey for free. His $1m for 1 year is a peanuts contract.

What would be a team's motivation to pick up an unproven Vey on a one way contract on waivers? A year ago when he was an unproven commodity with perceived NHL upside - sure. But after spending a full season demonstrating night in, night out that he isn't NHL material I can't see why another team would feel compelled to tidy up a Benning mistake for him. Where are they going to use him exactly? He is a player without a defined role at the NHL level. Sure, he might be effective on the wing, but a team can't assume he would succeed without even the smallest sample size to assess. If he can't play center in your bottom six, what are you going to do with him exactly?

I imagine one of Hansen, Higgins, or Prust is moved before the season starts.

If prust was going to be flipped it would have been done right away. Benning identified him as a player he wants and aquired him. Someone would have to knock Benning socks off to pry him away before the season even starts.

You dont get it do you. Why would they sign Prust only to trade him before the season starts. Think!!!!

They didn't sign Prust... They traded Kassian for him...it's not unheard of to have players be traded twice in the same off season

Read???

If prust was going to be flipped it would have been done right away. Benning identified him as a player he wants and aquired him. Someone would have to knock Benning socks off to pry him away before the season even starts.

Fair enough, just the only players I imagine would be on the block at this point.

It's only a matter of time before Bearcheese signs and starts his wonderful new career as a Vancouver Canuck. Of this I have no doubt. Skilled player with wonderful puck skills and while Calgary gave up on him early, they are loaded with all sorts of similar talent themselves. Both teams will ensure that their young top-6 talent gets all the opportunities they need to succeed in the NHL, because the growth of the business depends on it.

Archived