The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bo ready to be a 2C?

Ron_Burgundy

Look at the playmaking and the skill level, especially on that last play. That is no bottom-6 forward, and I think he's going to really surprise us how good he'll be and the points he'll put up.

STUD

Considering foot speed was considered one of Horvat's weaknesses at one point, he sure does have some decent wheels.

I think what people need to remember is that after the 1st line, whatever line a player is on basically just a label under WD's strategy. Willie won't hesitate for a moment to put the 4th line out more than the 2nd if he likes what he sees. Even if Bo were to start the season on the 4th line again, I think his ice time would only trail the 1st line among forwards.

Good point. And probably worth clarifying that, for me at least, when I talk about #2C I'm referring to performance not the lineup chart. Can Horvat perform like the centres ranked #31-60 in the NHL? I think he might crack the top-60 this season (not necessarily in points, although that's quite possible, but being among the sixty best overall centres in the NHL).

It doesn't matter where his name appears on the lineup chart for game one of 2015-16. It's where he ranks among his peers at his position by season's end. And I think Horvat will make the most of his opportunities and could develop into a legitimate #2C this year.

That said, it would be a mistake for the coaches to pencil Horvat in as the #2C (and Desjardins won't make this mistake). On paper, Bo starts the season ranked below Bonino. And his performance determines his minutes and the roles he's given. A few years back, Kesler was considered our #3C, according to the lineup chart, yet he regularly played the highest minutes among the forwards and was often arguably the most important player in the lineup. This is where Horvat seems to be trending IMO, and he might well finish this season as the most valuable forward, after the twins, on the team (which would certainly make him our #2C).

No. Stick on the 3rd/4th line. Too bad. Could have a #1 RW to play with the Sedins in Nichushkin but oh well. He's a solid player but 50 point 2C is max i see him as. Bonino is much better than Horvat in this league right now.

You really know your hockey dude...

No. Stick on the 3rd/4th line. Too bad. Could have a #1 RW to play with the Sedins in Nichushkin but oh well. He's a solid player but 50 point 2C is max i see him as. Bonino is much better than Horvat in this league right now.

This isnt about nichushkin lol bonino is about equal with horvat.

Only being realistic friend. Nichushkin has much more elite offensive ability

Offense doesn't win in the playoffs. Plenty of talented teams have been shut down. Two way centers like Toews win you cups. Not Nichushkin's.

Good point. And probably worth clarifying that, for me at least, when I talk about #2C I'm referring to performance not the lineup chart. Can Horvat perform like the centres ranked #31-60 in the NHL? I think he might crack the top-60 this season (not necessarily in points, although that's quite possible, but being among the sixty best overall centres in the NHL).

It doesn't matter where his name appears on the lineup chart for game one of 2015-16. It's where he ranks among his peers at his position by season's end. And I think Horvat will make the most of his opportunities and could develop into a legitimate #2C this year.

That said, it would be a mistake for the coaches to pencil Horvat in as the #2C (and Desjardins won't make this mistake). On paper, Bo starts the season ranked below Bonino. And his performance determines his minutes and the roles he's given. A few years back, Kesler was considered our #3C, according to the lineup chart, yet he regularly played the highest minutes among the forwards and was often arguably the most important player in the lineup. This is where Horvat seems to be trending IMO, and he might well finish this season as the most valuable forward, after the twins, on the team (which would certainly make him our #2C).

Ah, that makes sense. If that's how you're defining it though, nothing but time will tell. It would be interesting to revisit this thread in April 2016.

Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have a Toews or an Ovechkin? Tarasenko or Bergeron? Not saying that Horvat or Nichushkin are going to turn out like those players but I would much rather have a good Canadian boy (who could become a captain) that plays elite 2-way hockey and could put up around 60 points then a dynamic but lazy russian winger who could put up 80-90+ points.

Well?

Lets forget what you call it, the line... 3rd? 2knd, does not matter.

I'd like to see Horvat playing with Burrows and Hansen. Would be an awesome defensive line.

And Bonino playing with blazing speedsters, who can also snipe, in Virtanen & Baertschi. Put them out to score, and Horvat's out as the match up line.

The match ups will determine who gets more minutes.

Danny Hank Vrbata

Burrows Bo Hansen

Baertschi Bonino Virtanen

Higgins Vey Dorsett

Well?

Lets forget what you call it, the line... 3rd? 2knd, does not matter.

I'd like to see Horvat playing with Burrows and Hansen. Would be an awesome defensive line.

And Bonino playing with blazing speedsters, who can also snipe, in Virtanen & Baertschi. Put them out to score, and Horvat's out as the match up line.

The match ups will determine who gets more minutes.

Danny Hank Vrbata

Burrows Bo Hansen

Baertschi Bonino Virtanen

Higgins Vey Dorsett

Prust in for Higgins and Cassels in for Vey by mid season...actually Higgy will probably be in Virtanen's spot and Virt will be another year along.

Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have a Toews or an Ovechkin? Tarasenko or Bergeron? Not saying that Horvat or Nichushkin are going to turn out like those players but I would much rather have a good Canadian boy (who could become a captain) that plays elite 2-way hockey and could put up around 60 points then a dynamic but lazy russian winger who could put up 80-90+ points.

Ovechkin >> Toews. Two way forwards get overrated. However i do like horvat more than Nichushkin and I think he will be the better player.

Would definitely take Ovi over Toews. Put Ovechkin on the Hawks and they win just as many cups imo. Would have to swap a winger for a decent center though.

Don't get me wrong Toews is a great player, but I hate how everyone makes it seem like he singlehandedly wins cups. They've had Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Saad, Buff, Hjalmarsson, TT, Bolland, and tons of other good players during their cup wins.

Expectations should be third line center. He improved greatly as the year went on but he'll need to continue that in the first few months to take the 2nd line spot. His scoring rate is very likely to drop next year so he'll need to improve his offensive zone time and shot quality in order to get offense needed for the 2nd line spot.

A 50 point player that can shut down the other team's best lines and win key faceoffs.

That's what Horvat is going to be. And i take that, a shutdown potential Selke C, than a potential Rocket Richard Winger.

Horvat got one less goal playing on the 4th line

Archived