The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is it the Canucks are being written off before the puck drops?

knucklehead91

Because realism is hard. It requires intelligence and experience. Pessimism is easy and any old idiot can practice it.

The Canucks made a solid move swapping Bieksa out and Bartkowski in. No one was playing well with Kevin last year and so expect that not only Bartkowski to look better than him (since he is already a legitimate top 4 D man) but Sbisa to look better with a different partner as well. Tanev and Hamhuis are a top 2, if not the best, D pairing in the league. Add in Clendening and Corrado and further development from Weber, and we have a solid D core.

Up front we've gotten rid of an inconsistent and perpetually injured player in Kass for Prust. For anyone who questions whether compete level can make a serious difference on a team, look no further than what Dorsett did last year. Our first line is still one of the best in the league, with the Sedins still top 10 scoring leaders. A second line that will match the speed and skill of Baertschi with Bonino's defensive skill and Vrbata's sniping ability should create some serious goals. Bo Horvat will have a full summer of training under his belt which should work wonders. The same goes for Vey and Kenins. The exact bottom 6 lines are still up in the air, given that Grenier and Gaunce could push for spots, but with Higgins and Hansen back in bottom 6 positions, it's fair to say we will have a really solid bottom of our roster.

Finally, we've got Markstrom coming into his own in net. There is a serious chance he could outplay Miller this year given his size and help from Rollie. People complaining that players were added to the rosters of other teams in our division are just distracted by shiny things signed on July 1. When prospect development is taken into account, no other team has such a high number of players who will be able to seriously improve their performance versus last year. Development is what makes winning teams, not overpriced UFAs.

I'm not sure why you're being so hard on Desi, he's right. It's a long shot, especially will the improvement in our conference.

I know, my apologies to Desi. Him and Janis have been the most vocal about trading everything away for futures. And while that's what should be done (for the most part), it shouldn't be done in a season. There hearts are in the right place and I will cheer along with them for the Canucks anytime as they are true fans...just please please please stop complaining about the vets on this team.

edit:

But it is better than a long shot for the Canucks to make the playoffs. I don't see them regressing too much and you never know what will happen with internal improvement. And whose to say our conference vastly improved. What if the dysfunction continues in LA,? And they haven't really found a solution for their defense. If St. Louis gets off to a slow start Hitch could be the first coach fired, then who knows what could happen. Can Dubnyk repeat last years success? Calgary was a statistical enigma all year, does that catch up with them? Not every move these teams made will pan out. Yeah, the Canucks could have a stinker of a season but it's entirely possible they place 2nd in the Pacific again too.

we got knocked out in the first round by CALGARY !!! I dont think that most fans consider that good enough . Im guessing the majority would rather see a retool slash rebuild , then another season of playoff mediocrity ( if you could even call it that )

most of the teams we compete with got better . I can't say I believe we did .

perhaps some are writing the Canucks off , perhaps its a little wishful thinking for others .

OILERS,FLAMES, AVS, DALLAS AND LA GOT BETTER. DUCKS ARE STILL GOOD

FLAMES LOOK LIKE A PLAYOFF TEAM, SO ASK YOURSELF THE TOP 8 STANDINGS IN THE WEST. JUST ASK YOURSELF SITTING THERE AND BE HONEST.

CHICAGO, MINNESOTA, ANAHEIM, CALGARY, STLOUS, WILL MOST LIKELY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, SO THAT LEAVES THE WILD CARD RACE BETWEEN LA, DALLAS, AVLANCHE, NASHVILLE AND MAYBE OILERS. SO ASK YOURSELF THIS HONEST QUESTION DO YOU SEE DALLAS OR LA MISSING THE PLAYOFFS? OH YES I FORGOT TO MENTION WINNIPEG, THE POINT IS TEAMS AROUND GOT BETTER AND WE DIDN'T IMPROVE.

To answer your question, yes. I'd bold it (your question), but...

And what about the CAPITALS?

Our relatively unchanged core (esp the forwards) hasn't done anything in the playoffs for a few seasons now, our team may compete for stretches through the regular season but our strengths are shut down in playoff hockey (the Sedin's and of course the weak PP).

We've only won like 3 playoff games since 2011?..and one year missed the playoffs entirely!(83 points)

Our team has a dark cloud in the post season, for any of a number of reasons,ie injuries/refs/lack of secondary scoring etc etc.

I loved our compete level in 2011 but that team and father time has closed that window.

Because realism is hard. It requires intelligence and experience. Pessimism is easy and any old idiot can practice it.

Actually, being blind and oblivious to the truth is much more convenient than being a pessimist.

Pessimism actually requires a little more work -_-

An example would be religion.

Easy to be a believer and just follow like a sheep.

Requires a bit more work to be the naysayer since you have to preach against that.

Let the league sleep on us... We're show em all. What I'm surprised about is the number of Vancouver fans that write us off.

Very few are writing the Canucks off from a playoff berth.

Many are writing the Canucks off from actually being a legitimate cup contender.

Something so many have trouble differentiating.

Actually, being blind and oblivious to the truth is much more convenient than being a pessimist.

Pessimism actually requires a little more work -_-

An example would be religion.

Easy to be a believer and just follow like a sheep.

Requires a bit more work to be the naysayer since you have to preach against that.

And how much "work" does it take to be a defeatist?

Because there is a vocal minority who ruin the experience for the rest of us by being overly negative on social media furthering the fallacy that canucks fans are immature whiners.

Last year they said we would be in the running for McDavid, and wouldn't sniff the playoffs. This year, the same thing.

I wish CDC mods would clean house and get rid of these trolls but since they drum up controversy and attract traffic it is doubtful.

And how much "work" does it take to be a defeatist?

A lot more than to be clueless.

Should I walk you through?

1. Assess the situation

2. Accept where your placement is compared to your competitors

3. Measure the odds and calculate the probability

4. Form a plan to properly place yourself among the competition

5. Execute

For you to think accepting a loss is a "loser mentality" shows how clueless you are, to competitive sport, as well as to this world in general.

If you accept your loss, and quit, sure, you may have a point.

However, if you admit the loss, but only to take a step back and re-plan everything so you can improve and re-challenge, that truly defines "winner mentality".

Winners in life aren't called winners because they win at everything. They are called winners because they overcome defeat.

Why are people writing off the Canucks?

1. PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF CHANGE
  2. A couple of teams are ahead of the Canucks in terms of their rebuild and are starting to see improvements before the Canucks (Calgary for one, and they have the depth to afford to give up a first round pick etc for Hamilton)

What about it?:

1. Don't freak out, we'll catch up
  2. Just because other teams have made some splashy moves doesn't mean that we should alter our plan. If we do, we'll screw it up :frantic: Be cool.

A lot more than to be clueless.

Clueless response wadr.

You've attempted above to equate "realism" or 'optimism', depending on what SamJamIam is truly aiming for - with "being blind and oblivious to truth."

What takes less work than engaging with what people are saying - is the kind of strawman game you are playing.

Which you followed up with another strawman in response to a simple question.

What loss are you accepting? The point here is a question of the possibilities next year.

The irony in your commentary is the flip-flopping to "overcome defeat." You don't get there with defeatism ironically. No one ever has. If you're looking for a "winning mentality" you may want to opt for neither the blind sheep nor the defeatist.

Pessimism, defeatism - are not distinguishable from blindness and obliviousness to truth. Either viewpoint - "religious" or pessimistic can be the result of "following like sheep".

"Very few", "many", "so many have trouble differentiating".... You seem to have really surveyed the CDC demographic, but you haven't really made a single point regarding the team - instead, all you've really done is puffed up your chest with abstractions that say essentially nothing.

i bet most of these people writing the team off are only recent fans who grew up from the nazzy bert era onward. Try following this team in the 80's to present day and you realize everything is a cycle. We had our chance from 09 to 11, didnt get er done and now we have to wait a bit. What is the big deal if they do well next year, just as long as they compete and dont get embarrased by a team full of teenagers.

Archived