The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

American dentist slaughters Lion

riffraff

Eric and Donald get trampled by a herd of camels if daddy wins presidency and invades Iraq again??

Just kidding. They'd get to sit in their mansions.

I don't know Anything about the trump boys or even this jackass who killed the lion but it seems to me that people who's lifestyles are the most out of touch with nature are the ones who &^@# it up the most.

It also seems to often go hand in hand with a sense of entitlement and lack of regard for others. People completely absorbed in things like $$ and power. People who generally make me cringe, as they have no focus outside themselves or sense of right/wrong.

It's a challenge that computer simulations don't bring.

It doesn't sound all that challenging.

The guides do all the work. He just sat there until they lured the lion out and shot a spotlight on it. Apparently the bow he used didn't even kill it either. They had to use a gun after.

Don't call it a sport. Sport would imply there's some kind of skill involved. Pretty sure i could pick up a crossbow and point it at an animal if I wanted to.

The guides do all the work. He just sat there until they lured the lion out and shot a spotlight on it. Apparently the bow he used didn't even kill it either. They had to use a gun after.

Don't call it a sport. Sport would imply there's some kind of skill involved. Pretty sure i could pick up a crossbow and point it at an animal if I wanted to.

It wasn't immediately after that they shot him.....they walked away and left him suffering. Who can do that?

It also seems to often go hand in hand with a sense of entitlement and lack of regard for others. People completely absorbed in things like $$ and power. People who generally make me cringe, as they have no focus outside themselves or sense of right/wrong.

Sociopaths?

It wasn't immediately after that they shot him.....they walked away and left him suffering. Who can do that?

I guess... they can??

If you do all the tracking yourself, then you can call it sport. If not, then that's just plain lazy and insulting to the animal.

I'd heard he beheaded the lion, too. If that's true, it's trophy hunting for sure, but it was done so badly that it may as well be called straight-up cold-blooded killing.

Here is a different opinion on the subject ... from Zimbabweans.

From Yahoo News

"What lion?" Zimbabweans ask, amid global Cecil circus https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-142232231.html

HARARE (Reuters) - As social media exploded with outrage this week at the killing of Cecil the lion, the untimely passing of the celebrated predator at the hands of an American dentist went largely unnoticed in the animal's native Zimbabwe.

"What lion?" acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira asked in response to a request for comment about Cecil, who was at that moment topping global news bulletins and generating reams of abuse for his killer on websites in the United States and Europe.

The government has still given no formal response, and on Thursday the papers that chose to run the latest twist in the Cecil saga tucked it away on inside pages.

One title had to rely on foreign news agency copy because it failed to send a reporter to the court appearance of two locals involved.

In contrast, the previous evening 200 people stood in protest outside the suburban Minneapolis dental practice of 55-year-old Walter Palmer, calling for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges of taking part in an illegal hunt.

Local police are also investigating death threats against Palmer, whose location is not known. Because many of the threats were online, police are having difficulty determining their origins and credibility.

Palmer, a lifelong big game hunter, has admitted killing Cecil with a bow and arrow on July 1 near Zimbabwe's Hwange national park, but said he had hired professional local guides with the required hunting permits and believed the hunt was legal.

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80 percent and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a 'First World Problem'.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?" As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that needs to be controlled or killed.

The world of Palmer, who paid $50,000 to kill 13-year-old Cecil, is a very different one from that inhabited by millions of rural Africans who are more than occasionally victims of wild animal attacks.

According to CrocBITE, a database, from January 2008 to October 2013, there were more than 460 recorded attacks by Nile crocodiles, most of them fatal. That tally is almost certainly a massive underrepresentation.

"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the centre of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange."

From Yahoo News - https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-142232231.html

HARARE (Reuters) - As social media exploded with outrage this week at the killing of Cecil the lion, the untimely passing of the celebrated predator at the hands of an American dentist went largely unnoticed in the animal's native Zimbabwe.

"What lion?" acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira asked in response to a request for comment about Cecil, who was at that moment topping global news bulletins and generating reams of abuse for his killer on websites in the United States and Europe.

The government has still given no formal response, and on Thursday the papers that chose to run the latest twist in the Cecil saga tucked it away on inside pages.

One title had to rely on foreign news agency copy because it failed to send a reporter to the court appearance of two locals involved.

In contrast, the previous evening 200 people stood in protest outside the suburban Minneapolis dental practice of 55-year-old Walter Palmer, calling for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges of taking part in an illegal hunt.

Local police are also investigating death threats against Palmer, whose location is not known. Because many of the threats were online, police are having difficulty determining their origins and credibility.

Palmer, a lifelong big game hunter, has admitted killing Cecil with a bow and arrow on July 1 near Zimbabwe's Hwange national park, but said he had hired professional local guides with the required hunting permits and believed the hunt was legal.

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80 percent and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a 'First World Problem'.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that needs to be controlled or killed.

The world of Palmer, who paid $50,000 to kill 13-year-old Cecil, is a very different one from that inhabited by millions of rural Africans who are more than occasionally victims of wild animal attacks.

According to CrocBITE, a database, from January 2008 to October 2013, there were more than 460 recorded attacks by Nile crocodiles, most of them fatal. That tally is almost certainly a massive underrepresentation.

"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the centre of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange."

LOL

#firstworldproblems

Owned.

Glad to hear the Zimbabweans now want him extradited. Although I'd like the UK to ask for those responsible for killing white UK tourists back in the 90s/00s to be extradited. If you want to punish crime, start at home.

From Yahoo News

"What lion?" Zimbabweans ask, amid global Cecil circus https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-142232231.html

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?" As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that needs to be controlled or killed.

a first worlder goes into the third world and kills something that is both a source of academic/scientific research and tourist interest and that is considered a first world problem?

Cecil, by all accounts, was a dominant-yet-friendly animal who drew crowds with his friendliness and size. crowds = money. His ability to thrive and maintain two prides = research interest in conservation = more money

That a first worlder can saunter into the third world and buy his way into a morally dubious act and walk out is, to me, the definition of a third world problem.

The first world problem is how people sit around stuffing their faces with meat all day while pretending to care about animal treatment because a majestic lion was killed

From Yahoo News

What I took from this is, these people need more awareness to what is happening to these animals.

Maybe they're used to seeing lions and disregard them, but are they aware that these animals' population is very low and heading towards extinction if we continue to not care?

We are concerned because I do not want a future where the only time my kids and their kids and so on, can only see these amazing creatures in old documentaries and picture books like we do now with mammoths, dinosaurs, dodo birds, and all other extinct animals.

From Yahoo News

"What lion?" Zimbabweans ask, amid global Cecil circus

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-142232231.html

Two Separate issues that I mentioned in an earlier post but didn't get into.

One:

The economic environment of the locals put in a position to take a wealthy hunters money.

Two:

Trophy killing.

Sub issues:

Africans being killed by lions/elephants in their respective villages. While that's tough, some of us live in or have lived in communities where people, especially children Taken by predatory animals, mainly Cougars.

And then there is Glassjaw baiting posters with his "meat eaters shouldn't pretend to care if an animal is killed for sport equation"

Personally I don't see the connection between a mounted lion head and providing your family with food. But apparently glass jaws meat is murder thread wasnt enough.

a first worlder goes into the third world and kills something that is both a source of academic/scientific research and tourist interest and that is considered a first world problem?

Cecil, by all accounts, was a dominant-yet-friendly animal who drew crowds with his friendliness and size. crowds = money. His ability to thrive and maintain two prides = research interest in conservation = more money

That a first worlder can saunter into the third world and buy his way into a morally dubious act and walk out is, to me, the definition of a third world problem.

The first world problem is how people sit around stuffing their faces with meat all day while pretending to care about animal treatment because a majestic lion was killed

Maybe you should try reading the article again...

third world problems consist of huge unemployment rates, starvation and being trampled to death by elephants or eaten by lions...

when they have no jobs, no food, no clean water, live with dangerous animals, you really think they care if a lion gets shot?

What I took from this is, these people need more awareness to what is happening to these animals.

Maybe they're used to seeing lions and disregard them, but are they aware that these animals' population is very low and heading towards extinction if we continue to not care?

We are concerned because I do not want a future where the only time my kids and their kids and so on, can only see these amazing creatures in old documentaries and picture books like we do now with mammoths, dinosaurs, dodo birds, and all other extinct animals.

I suppose caged in a jail that's only purpose is to provide entertainment is a better second to extinction...

third world problems consist of huge unemployment rates, starvation and being trampled to death by elephants or eaten by lions...

when they have no jobs, no food, no clean water, live with dangerous animals, you really think they care if a lion gets shot?

i said it's not a "first world problem" to have a moral or emotional issue with negligent, ignorant first world citizens go into a third world country and snipe off the resources from its fastest growing industry: tourism. the tourist industry which is, by the way, hinged on the existence of wildlife like Cecil. it is a very complex issue, whether some retweeters realize it or not

where or why do you think i misunderstood the article? because i believe that negligent/ignorant first worlders mistreating the third world has an impact on the culture and economy of that third world nation? -- this is not at all a first world problem, it's simply a world/inter-cultural problem

And then there is Glassjaw baiting posters with his "meat eaters shouldn't pretend to care if an animal is killed for sport equation"

Personally I don't see the connection between a mounted lion head and providing your family with food. But apparently glass jaws meat is murder thread wasnt enough.

the connection between an animal's body being mounted on a wall as opposed to being mounted over a grill is that both instances require murdering the animal

the real marvel is how people are able to divide the two morally

They need to share my hipster PETA sensibilities.

Y1KHzPE.jpg

Cecil the lion? Shot by a Minnesotan dentist with a bow and arrow. Maurius the giraffe? Fed to his fellow inmates in a Copenhagen zoo. Knut the polar bear? Died of stress in front of 600 Berliners. Give an animal a name, and its fate is sealed. If the ultimate sin in biological science is anthropomorphy, we sure are guilty. By naming a wild animal, it is instantly appropriated, and demeaned. It becomes acculturated, part of our human discourse. Cecil’s end was in sight as soon as he was christened; he became a target as sure as if someone had drawn a bull’s eye on his rump. Gloriously maned he might have been, but he was emasculated by his name, much as Clarence the cross-eyed lion, of the 1960s TV series Daktari, or even the dolorous Parsley the Lion, of The Herbs, were.

It all began – as far as Judeo-Christianity is concerned – with Genesis and its God-given dominion. Carl Linnaeus, who attempted to classify all fauna in his taxonomy of the 18th century, merely became the surrogate god of the Enlightenment. Once named, an organism becomes the subject of manipulation as much as conservation. The irony is, of course, that among animals with their own sense of culture – such as primates, elephants, and cetaceans – it seems names may be just as popular. We know now, for instance, that bottlenose dolphins have signature whistles by which they identify themselves. Captive dolphins separated from fellow pod members still recognise their peers’ whistles after 20 years apart.

Actually, whales and dolphins bear the worst burden, to my mind. Moby Dick? Doomed to be hunted with a name like that. Look at what his cousins were lumbered with: the right whale, because it was the right whale to catch; the humpback whale, named after its supposed hunch; and Moby’s own species, the sperm whale, so-called because whalers thought that the oil that spurted out of the leviathan’s head was its semen.

Personalising an animal belittles a magnificent beast by reducing it to a pet. In acquiring his name, Cecil became an overgrown tabby. Reduced to an individual, the next step was extinction. Did the last passenger pigeon to be shot have a name? Was the final great auk given a soubriquet? Surely the saddest of all named animals was the last Tasmanian thylacine, named Benjamin (she wasn’t even male). A chimerical cross between a hyena, a tiger and a kangaroo, she whimpered her last on the concrete floor of Hobart zoo in 1936. Likewise, poor Cecil’s fate seems an omen of an age in which every animal will be named, tagged and tracked, left to roam dwindling reserves, forlornly forever at our beck and call.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2015/jul/29/cecil-the-lion-doomed-name

Cecil the lion? Shot by a Minnesotan dentist with a bow and arrow. Maurius the giraffe? Fed to his fellow inmates in a Copenhagen zoo. Knut the polar bear? Died of stress in front of 600 Berliners. Give an animal a name, and its fate is sealed. If the ultimate sin in biological science is anthropomorphy, we sure are guilty. By naming a wild animal, it is instantly appropriated, and demeaned. It becomes acculturated, part of our human discourse. Cecil’s end was in sight as soon as he was christened; he became a target as sure as if someone had drawn a bull’s eye on his rump. Gloriously maned he might have been, but he was emasculated by his name, much as Clarence the cross-eyed lion, of the 1960s TV series Daktari, or even the dolorous Parsley the Lion, of The Herbs, were.

It all began – as far as Judeo-Christianity is concerned – with Genesis and its God-given dominion. Carl Linnaeus, who attempted to classify all fauna in his taxonomy of the 18th century, merely became the surrogate god of the Enlightenment. Once named, an organism becomes the subject of manipulation as much as conservation. The irony is, of course, that among animals with their own sense of culture – such as primates, elephants, and cetaceans – it seems names may be just as popular. We know now, for instance, that bottlenose dolphins have signature whistles by which they identify themselves. Captive dolphins separated from fellow pod members still recognise their peers’ whistles after 20 years apart.

Actually, whales and dolphins bear the worst burden, to my mind. Moby Dick? Doomed to be hunted with a name like that. Look at what his cousins were lumbered with: the right whale, because it was the right whale to catch; the humpback whale, named after its supposed hunch; and Moby’s own species, the sperm whale, so-called because whalers thought that the oil that spurted out of the leviathan’s head was its semen.

Personalising an animal belittles a magnificent beast by reducing it to a pet. In acquiring his name, Cecil became an overgrown tabby. Reduced to an individual, the next step was extinction. Did the last passenger pigeon to be shot have a name? Was the final great auk given a soubriquet? Surely the saddest of all named animals was the last Tasmanian thylacine, named Benjamin (she wasn’t even male). A chimerical cross between a hyena, a tiger and a kangaroo, she whimpered her last on the concrete floor of Hobart zoo in 1936. Likewise, poor Cecil’s fate seems an omen of an age in which every animal will be named, tagged and tracked, left to roam dwindling reserves, forlornly forever at our beck and call.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2015/jul/29/cecil-the-lion-doomed-name

Africa's anonymous animals are still poached and always have been.

This writer is just cashing in on the time.

Yawn.

I don't see why people are so upset by this. Man likes hunting, kills a lion, goes home. People acting like he went on a killing spree and killed every lion in the world. Sure you're super advanced and modern and evolved but sometimes you just enjoy things for no good reason, ruining the guys dental practise and home are just stupid.

I don't see why people are so upset by this. Man likes hunting, kills a lion, goes home. People acting like he went on a killing spree and killed every lion in the world. Sure you're super advanced and modern and evolved but sometimes you just enjoy things for no good reason, ruining the guys dental practise and home are just stupid.

It was the way he killed it..totally against the law and inhumane..thats what people are upset about

He hires two guides who lure a lion which has become a known attraction at a game preserve out of the area by dragging meat behind a truck and let this floon shoot it with a bow and arrow and doesnt kill it and they let it suffer for 40hrs before they find it and put it out of its misery and proceed to cut its head off and skin it..not to mention hack off the radio transmitter it was wearing and being monitored.

As far as Im concerned he did go on a killing spree and deserves all the crap he is getting right now..there really is no way to justify this at all./

Archived