The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

American dentist slaughters Lion

riffraff

He claimed he did not know it was a famous lion. So aside from the right or wrong of trophy hunting, there is always another side to the story.

From the Washington Post:

A Minnesota dentist accused of hunting and killing Cecil, a famous lion in Zimbabwe, said Tuesday that he “had no idea the lion I took was a known, local favorite” and that he may have been misled by hunting guides.

“I hired several professional guides, and they secured all proper permits,” reads a statement from Walter Palmer to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted.”

“I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt," the statement read. "I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

He claimed he did not know it was a famous lion. So aside from the right or wrong of trophy hunting, there is always another side to the story.

Here you go:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/07/28/american-dentist-says-he-regrets-killing-cecil-the-lion-believed-zimbabwe-hunt-was-legal/

We'll never know if the guy was purposely skirting the local laws, or if he really was misled by the local guides. I certainly wouldn't put it past a guide to do something illegal for a big payday...

As you say, the debate for me really comes down to the morality (or lack thereof) of trophy hunting.

People who hunt like this make me sick.

Is it honestly any different from some redneck hunting In the woods?

They may not directly pay to kill a captive animal, but they still have to pay hunting licenses and permits to hunt in various places.

Also Apparently lions are not endangered, but vulnerable on the conservation scale.

So they're close..

he has been guilty of breaching laws in the past. Hiding behind any ambiguity in lawns there is one, to commit an act such as this is appalling.

Saying it's unfortunate is understatement, that the guides are in the position where it would be nearly impossible for them to turn a payday away for this purpose. A whole other issue. And even more gross that a person would exploit that.

Is it honestly any different from some redneck hunting In the woods?

They may not directly pay to kill a captive animal, but they still have to pay hunting licenses and permits to hunt in various places.

Also Apparently lions are not endangered, but vulnerable on the conservation scale.

So they're close..

Still only vulnerable? Come on humans pick up the pace!

So what's the point of trophy hunting?

Showing off the dead trophy on the wall.. Or displaying a dead carpet..

Long story short no purpose, but to fufuil some void in life.

Similarly to someone who drives big trucks to and from to work, but has no need for one..

Last summer I went on a road trip to the Badlands and stopped at a gas station off of the I 94 in Minnesota that had a bunch of stuffed animals from all over the world. The city that this guy is from is near the I 94 so I think that it could have been his collection.

Archived