The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The other side to Benning's expensive 4th line

clee

I can't see the sense of putting them on the same line. These are guys who can play. They are solid defensively and will create room for their line mates. I would put them on separate lines. This will allow them to put together 4 solid lines.

Sedin's Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Burrows

Baertschi Sutter Dorsett

Prust Vey Hansen

Higgins Virtanen

We start like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Higgins - Vey - Prust

and by xmas look like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Kenins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Higgins traded and Grenier in the press box with?

That works too

It's awesome to know that we finally have some options.

We start like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Higgins - Vey - Prust

and by xmas look like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Kenins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Higgins traded and Grenier in the press box with?

I don't think they would keep Grenier up and then sit him in the press box. Benning wants the prospects to succeed and develop their skills so he is either playing in the lineup or honing his skills in Utica.

You actually think LA, Anaheim or for that matter Calgary and San Jose are scared of the tomato can twins in Dorsette or Prust.

Prust and Dorsett can play 3rd line minutes and they fight. I'd take these guys over a Bollig or John Scott anyday.

The Sedins will have a much better chance of having a great year because teams will be busy spending energy on the likes of Prust, Dorsett, Sutter and Bartkowski. This jolt of energy will be complemented by the youth movement that includes Horvat and maybe one of Bernier, Virtanen or McCann.

I wouldn't have to want to deal with the newly found grit the Canucks have. It could get ugly.

And imagine if Lucic is signed next year in free agency....

Grit isn't something that can just sit on the bench as a fourth line winger. Grit is needed up and down the lineup and is a general philosophy in how you play. Benning's unifying theme to this offseason has been about adding grit and speed. Reason he took Virtanen over the soft pretty boys like Ehlers and Nylander. Bonino for Sutter was very much about this. Problem is these trades often don't look good on the basic and sometimes advanced stats. Yes Bonino scores more but does he bring more, does he fit the philosophy of the team?

By bringing grit through all the lines it opens rooms for the smaller skill players to work. Hopefully we will also see some players who are willing to go to the net, we have been lacking those for a frustratingly long time.

This team is being built for the kids coming up not the vets. I don't think the trades this summer have been good value trades but they definitely fit a philosophy.

This lineup though is going to have a lot of trouble scoring. They are even more dependent this year on the Sedins, Burrows and Vrbata then they were last year, and they are a year older. If some of the skilled youth struggles to score at the NHL level it will be really hard to see how this team will score enough to be competitive without otherworldly goaltending which seems unlikely as well.

I think Sutter, Horvat, Virtanen and Baer are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Sutter isn't playing behind Cosby and Malkin this year and has a legitimate shot at being the 2nd line centre with decent wingers. I don't see Horvat taking a step back and Virtanen has the skill and body to have a year like Horvat did last year. Baer has the skill and speed to help out. I cant wait for the puck to drop.

A kick to the nuts doesnt sound so bad when you read this lineup.

I don't understand how people think this line up is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH worse than 2nd in the division and 8th in the league

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Burrows

Dorsett Horvat Kenins

Kassian Richardson Hansen

the benning nonsense about character and grit blah blah blah... answer me when the sedins get shut down because they play against the best defensive players on the other team who's going to score.

the canucks have one line that is a proven NHL scoring line thats it when the team went to the finals it was with speed and skill they could outscore there problems. great we got guys with character and 8 career goals in 10 nhl seasons.

vrbata and the sedins and sometimes burrows are the only legit top 6 players on this team edler is the only d-man that would crack most teams top 3

so of twelve forwards vancouvers got 3 maybe 4 top six of the d van's got 1 of 7 top three d men.

the players benning has brought in this offseason have been extremely expensive in trade valve and they do little to nothing to help the fact that after the top line there isn't a goal scorer or even a threat to score on the team.

there are some young guys coming up and its good to have spots but putting pressure for the svens and jakes to be the secondary scoring is ridiculous just ask edmonton how thats worked out.

if its a rebuild then rebuild don't lie about getting "character" guys and downgrading the entire team and try to sell this disaster as a competitive retool because it simply isn't.

stock pile picks and and rebuild don't toss them in for even more third liners.

currently dave nonis would love this club its full of overpaid third and fourth liners just like the pathetic team he put together here

the benning nonsense about character and grit blah blah blah... answer me when the sedins get shut down because they play against the best defensive players on the other team who's going to score.

Sedins have been shut down once, that was against Boston, they had 1.

1 Series

Just one, where they got hard shut down.

They are just under a point per game in the play-offs... The problem was lack of secondary scoring, not the Sedins. How long is it going to take people to figure this out.

Also, how is Tanev not a bonafide #2 D-man? He's 25 and a defensive stud.

I don't think they would keep Grenier up and then sit him in the press box. Benning wants the prospects to succeed and develop their skills so he is either playing in the lineup or honing his skills in Utica.

True but Genier would get in for whoever of the bubble players had a bad game the game before ( Baer, Kenins, Prust, etc.)

as well as be there already when someone gets injured, which is almost always the case anyway.

Although last year we were fairly healthy most of the year.

Montreal signed Prust to a 2.5 million cap hit way back in 2012, when the cap was significantly less. And yet, it was generally viewed as an astute signing.

So how is picking up the last year of it, when he hasn't really shown signs of regression, such a terrible thing?

Montreal signed Prust to a 2.5 million cap hit way back in 2012, when the cap was significantly less. And yet, it was generally viewed as an astute signing.

So how is picking up the last year of it, when he hasn't really shown signs of regression, such a terrible thing?

because it wasn't a Canucks contract...

Luongos 5.33M Cap hit is actually terrific, the only problem with it is if he retires... Luongo easily could have a cap hit like Lundqvist, Price, or Holtby. On the Panthers, he's a bargain at 5.33M.

There have been many complaints about Dorsett's 2.65M and Prust's $2.5M contract. However, I argue that Benning knows what he is doing.

Benning has been trying to create a team with more grit, heart, passion, and energy. He wants a "team" effort. In order to achieve that, you need to use a cap structure which has less spread between your star players and your fighters.

In the Gillis era, fighters were paid minimal. What is there to fight for if you're earning $850K? You need to reward toughness and those who stick up for their teamates. When the team is being paid with more balance, I argue that those in the bottom 6 feel that they are worth more, hence they will contribute more. I'm not saying you overpay every 4th line fighter, such as Sestito, but when they play with grit, passion, and energy, you need to reward that. This will breed the right culture.

Think about it. Why did Dorsett text Benning to thank him for Prust? That is a clear indication that our team lacks the toughness and "team effort".

Of course, by paying your 4th line more, you have less $ for star players. So the tradeoff for teamwork, grit, heart, passion, and energy (Prust) is ultimately skill (Kassian).

I'm not saying what Benning is doing is 100% correct, I'm just asking you to consider the other side of an expensive 4th line.

They were so soft during this past playoffs it was pathetic.

Archived