The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canadian Election - Liberals Win Majority

DonLever

Oh man, what a week for the Conservative party. Check out these three Toronto candidates. Err. Former candidates.

Conservatives turf GTA candidates over urination incident, prank calls
Jerry Bance's dismissal came Monday just as party leader Stephen Harper was departing Ottawa to head to ridings in Scarborough and Mississauga for campaign events.
The Conservative party stumbled into the GTA Monday as it was forced to boot two of its Toronto candidates, one for prank calls reportedly involving his faking orgasms and mocking mentally disabled people, another for being caught on videotape urinating in a mug when he was on a contract call as a repairman.
A party source told the Star that Toronto-Danforth candidate Tim Dutaud was dismissed Monday morning, as the party had determined that reports on social media of his activities were accurate.
The Conservative party also dismissed Jerry Bance, candidate for Scarborough-Rouge Park, on Monday, just as leader Stephen Harper was departing Ottawa to head to ridings in Scarborough and Mississauga for campaign events.
“There's an expectation that candidates are truthful and complete when going through the candidate screening process, and that wasn't the case,” Conservative spokesman Kory Teneycke said of the situation with Bance.
Asked about the dismissal of the two candidates, Harper answered briefly. “What this says is we keep the highest standards for candidates and these two individuals are no longer candidates.”
“You will see new candidates,” he later added.
Dutaud's LinkedIn profile states he worked at CBC television in “production” from 1995 to February 2001, then worked as a radio host with “score media group” for nine years. His online profile says he was a real estate sales representative from 2013 to now, and became the Conservative candidate for Toronto-Danforth in February 2015.
Bance, the former candidate for Scarborough-Rouge Park, had previously run and lost twice in 2008 and 2006 for the Conservatives. He owns an appliance repair company called XPress Appliance Service, according to the CBC.
In an email to the Star on Monday, Bance said he was “truly sorry” and that he had resigned from the campaign Monday morning. He cited health reasons for the incident.
“A 30 second decision made three years ago can really change one’s life. I had a health situation and needed to make an emergency decision, ironically to save myself from embarrassment back then,” he said. “It was a lapse in judgment, which I deeply regret today.”
When the urination incident was originally broadcast in a March 2012 episode of Marketplace, the CBC did not identify him either as a past candidate or by his last name.
The CBC identified him Sunday, reporting that Bance was caught by hidden camera when he was called to a home to repair a sink. He was videotaped while urinating in a mug and emptying it down the sink drain.
A statement from Bance released by the Conservative campaign Sunday night also said he "deeply regrets" his actions on the day he was caught on the hidden cameras.
Teneycke told the Star that Bance never disclosed the incident during routine party screening, which also includes a general question about whether the candidate is aware of anything that could arise to embarrass the party, as well as standard media reviews. He noted the CBC never disclosed Bance's last name in the original report in 2012. But when confronted with the CBC story Sunday, Bance did not dispute the allegation.
“We were unaware of this incident, it didn't come up in a candidate interview,” said Teneycke. “There's no dispute as to whether it was him or not.
“When questioned on it, he indicated that was in fact him. Surprise,” said Teneycke wryly.
Teneycke would not say whose decision it was, only that “He's no longer a candidate. People can read into that what they will.” He said “a decision was taken this morning.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/07/jerry-bance-no-longer-conservative-candidate-in-scarborough-rouge-park-after-urination-incident.html

And I just came across this story about another GTA candidate that will be axed within 24 hours of this post. It's long and done in an investigative kind of format, so I'll post just the highlights, but there is plenty of deleted stuff that was found through Google cache and other means. Check it out for sure. It's worth a good laugh. Especially in light on Cons trumpeting their "high standards" after removing the two idiots above.

Is Conservative candidate Toyin Dada, hiding history of religious extremism?

Summary: Conservative Party candidate for Etobicoke-North, Toyin Dada, appears to have hidden or not disclosed two important parts of her past: (1) her participation with a homophobic Christian group in their protest at Toronto’s Gay Pride parade; & (2) her history of anti-abortion militancy, including protesting at abortion clinics.

screen-shot-2015-08-21-at-3-50-51-am.png

To conclude, what are the facts?
The Conservative candidate for Etobicoke-North, Toyin Dada participated in a protest at Toronto’s Gay Pride event in 2013.
She was there with a group called the Christ’s Forgiveness Ministries, whose preachers can be heard berating and insulting the parade attendees.
She or someone with access to her social media accounts hid this information, even deleting the Google + post pictured above in the last few days.
She has made bigoted comments about other religions.
She also has protested outside of abortion clinics and at universities.
She has liked or made comments comparing abortion to murder, slavery, the holocaust, and genocide.
She bought a website called genocideincanada.com – a website she renewed just a few days after she began her campaign for the Tory candidacy. A website one might conclude would be used to promote her anti-choice agenda.

Her mocking the Baha'i (Can't paste image from the blog, but this is to the actual Facebook post)

https://rjjago.wordpress.com/2015/08/23/is-conservative-candidate-toyin-dada-hiding-history-of-religious-extremism/

Three candidates in Toronto. That... can't be good. It can only be fantastic!! :lol:

The Conservative party stumbled into the GTA Monday as it was forced to boot two of its Toronto candidates, one for prank calls reportedly involving his faking orgasms and mocking mentally disabled people, another for being caught on videotape urinating in a mug when he was on a contract call as a repairman.

So.... a plumber / handyman was running as a federal conservative MP?

I don't get mixed in with politics but I read that article and was wondering, If the Conservatives want to protect the people in Syria, Iraq, etc. from the "barbarism of ISIS" then why would they have no interest in bringing over refugees?

Makes no sense.

The governed plans to bring 10,000 over in the next 3 years.

Oh man, what a week for the Conservative party. Check out these three Toronto candidates. Err. Former candidates.

Conservatives turf GTA candidates over urination incident, prank calls

Jerry Bance's dismissal came Monday just as party leader Stephen Harper was departing Ottawa to head to ridings in Scarborough and Mississauga for campaign events.

A party source told the Star that Toronto-Danforth candidate Tim Dutaud was dismissed Monday morning, as the party had determined that reports on social media of his activities were accurate.

The Conservative party also dismissed Jerry Bance, candidate for Scarborough-Rouge Park, on Monday, just as leader Stephen Harper was departing Ottawa to head to ridings in Scarborough and Mississauga for campaign events.

“There's an expectation that candidates are truthful and complete when going through the candidate screening process, and that wasn't the case,” Conservative spokesman Kory Teneycke said of the situation with Bance.

Asked about the dismissal of the two candidates, Harper answered briefly. “What this says is we keep the highest standards for candidates and these two individuals are no longer candidates.”

“You will see new candidates,” he later added.

Dutaud's LinkedIn profile states he worked at CBC television in “production” from 1995 to February 2001, then worked as a radio host with “score media group” for nine years. His online profile says he was a real estate sales representative from 2013 to now, and became the Conservative candidate for Toronto-Danforth in February 2015.

Bance, the former candidate for Scarborough-Rouge Park, had previously run and lost twice in 2008 and 2006 for the Conservatives. He owns an appliance repair company called XPress Appliance Service, according to the CBC.

In an email to the Star on Monday, Bance said he was “truly sorry” and that he had resigned from the campaign Monday morning. He cited health reasons for the incident.

“A 30 second decision made three years ago can really change one’s life. I had a health situation and needed to make an emergency decision, ironically to save myself from embarrassment back then,” he said. “It was a lapse in judgment, which I deeply regret today.”

When the urination incident was originally broadcast in a March 2012 episode of Marketplace, the CBC did not identify him either as a past candidate or by his last name.

The CBC identified him Sunday, reporting that Bance was caught by hidden camera when he was called to a home to repair a sink. He was videotaped while urinating in a mug and emptying it down the sink drain.

A statement from Bance released by the Conservative campaign Sunday night also said he "deeply regrets" his actions on the day he was caught on the hidden cameras.

Teneycke told the Star that Bance never disclosed the incident during routine party screening, which also includes a general question about whether the candidate is aware of anything that could arise to embarrass the party, as well as standard media reviews. He noted the CBC never disclosed Bance's last name in the original report in 2012. But when confronted with the CBC story Sunday, Bance did not dispute the allegation.

“We were unaware of this incident, it didn't come up in a candidate interview,” said Teneycke. “There's no dispute as to whether it was him or not.

“When questioned on it, he indicated that was in fact him. Surprise,” said Teneycke wryly.

Teneycke would not say whose decision it was, only that “He's no longer a candidate. People can read into that what they will.” He said “a decision was taken this morning.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/07/jerry-bance-no-longer-conservative-candidate-in-scarborough-rouge-park-after-urination-incident.html

And I just came across this story about another GTA candidate that will be axed within 24 hours of this post. It's long and done in an investigative kind of format, so I'll post just the highlights, but there is plenty of deleted stuff that was found through Google cache and other means. Check it out for sure. It's worth a good laugh. Especially in light on Cons trumpeting their "high standards" after removing the two idiots above.

Is Conservative candidate Toyin Dada, hiding history of religious extremism?

Summary: Conservative Party candidate for Etobicoke-North, Toyin Dada, appears to have hidden or not disclosed two important parts of her past: (1) her participation with a homophobic Christian group in their protest at Toronto’s Gay Pride parade; & (2) her history of anti-abortion militancy, including protesting at abortion clinics.

screen-shot-2015-08-21-at-3-50-51-am.png

To conclude, what are the facts?

The Conservative candidate for Etobicoke-North, Toyin Dada participated in a protest at Toronto’s Gay Pride event in 2013.

She was there with a group called the Christ’s Forgiveness Ministries, whose preachers can be heard berating and insulting the parade attendees.

She or someone with access to her social media accounts hid this information, even deleting the Google + post pictured above in the last few days.

She has made bigoted comments about other religions.

She also has protested outside of abortion clinics and at universities.

She has liked or made comments comparing abortion to murder, slavery, the holocaust, and genocide.

She bought a website called genocideincanada.com – a website she renewed just a few days after she began her campaign for the Tory candidacy. A website one might conclude would be used to promote her anti-choice agenda.

Her mocking the Baha'i (Can't paste image from the blog, but this is to the actual Facebook post)

https://rjjago.wordpress.com/2015/08/23/is-conservative-candidate-toyin-dada-hiding-history-of-religious-extremism/

Three candidates in Toronto. That... can't be good. It can only be fantastic!! :lol:

Pissing in a mug?!!!! That's drywaller level.

Drug test: you're doing it wrong.

pissing in someone's coffee cup sounds like something LaBamba would do

It's funny you mentioned that, when I was a young roughneck I hated my driller so when he ask me to make him a coffee while we tripped pipe I T-bagged the rim. I remember him saying, "at least you can make good coffee, but other than that you're useless".

Meanwhile he was drinking bag.

I got great satisfaction from this.

Support for Conservatives dips on response to migrant crisis, poll shows

Support for the Conservative Party declined on the long weekend after a week that saw Leader Stephen Harper on the defensive over the economy and the governments response to the international migrant crisis, a new poll shows.

The Nanos survey conducted for The Globe and Mail and CTV News suggests many Canadians switched their voting intentions in recent days. The three-day sample puts support for the NDP at 32.7 per cent nationally (up 2.3 percentage points from a week ago), followed by the Liberals at 30.8 per cent (up 0.6 percentage points). Support for the Conservatives has slipped to 26.2 per cent (a 2.3-percentage-point drop).

With six weeks remaining until the Oct. 19 vote, Labour Day marked the start of heightened campaigning by political parties. Long weekends are considered to be key moments during election campaigns because friends and family come together to discuss politics, which can influence voting intentions.

The shift away from the Conservatives is such that pollster Nik Nanos says the campaign is looking as if it could be a two-way race for power between the NDP and the Liberals.

Whats gone well for the Conservative campaign so far? Not much, said Mr. Nanos, who believes the issue of Syrian refugees was the trigger for the partys recent decrease in popularity.

The one thing [that is] different about the Syrian refugee crisis is theres an emotional, personal angle to this, he said.

The NDP is leading in Quebec and British Columbia, while the Liberals are ahead in Atlantic Canada and Ontario.

The Conservatives are the first choice among Prairie voters.

Mr. Nanos said the Conservative numbers are likely due to the combined impact of three weeks spent responding to the Mike Duffy trial, followed by last weeks news that Canada experienced a technical recession in the first half of 2015 and then the unfolding refugee crisis.

There is more troubling news for the Conservatives in the Nanos poll in terms of opportunity for growth.

The proportion of Canadians who would consider voting Conservative has decreased to 36.1 per cent. In contrast, 52.5 per cent of those surveyed would consider voting for the NDP and 49.2 per cent would consider voting for the Liberals.

The survey marks the first of what will be a daily release of polling data conducted by Nanos through to voting day. The first release is based on a three-day rolling average of 1,200 voters, with 400 voters surveyed each day from Sept. 4-6. The margin of error is plus or minus 2.8 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Nanos was not in the field Monday. The daily polling will resume Tuesday.

The Conservatives made the decision to launch an unusually lengthy 78-day campaign by starting on Aug. 2. However, until now, only the Tories have been running a full, traditional campaign with a chartered plane.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau displayed his partys campaign plane Monday and NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair will unveil the NDP plane Tuesday. Canadians can expect to see a higher volume of campaign ads after Labour Day as parties ramp up their advertising spending.

The next major scheduled event in the campaign will be the Sept. 17 English language leaders debate on the economy in Calgary, which will be hosted by The Globe and Mail.

Labour Day did not provide much of a fresh start for Mr. Harper. The Conservatives dropped two Toronto-area candidates on Monday one, Scarborough-Rouge Park candidate Jerry Bance, because he was caught in a 2012 video urinating into a coffee cup and then emptying it into the sink of a client while working as a repairman. The other, Toronto-Danforth candidate Tim Dutaud, was dismissed over online videos in which he made prank calls, including one in which he pretended to have a mental disability and another in which he faked an orgasm.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/support-for-conservatives-dips-on-response-to-migrant-crisis-poll-shows/article26246364/

While the Conservatives attempt their damage control on their botched handling of the Syrian Refugee Crisis, they've been slipping. Predictably. You don't want to be a Tin Man during election time, and nobody's feeling ISIS.

I wouldn't count the Conservatives out just yet, what with all their riding rigging and interference with the election process. However, the Liberals are in 2nd place and climbing. People like JT's potshots taken at the party in power after that photo went around.

I see the Liberals as a 'business as usual' alternative for Canada. At least he's not Harper, and a lot more centralist, but a lot of Conservative policies would be followed.

It's funny you mentioned that, when I was a young roughneck I hated my driller so when he ask me to make him a coffee while we tripped pipe I T-bagged the rim. I remember him saying, "at least you can make good coffee, but other than that you're useless".

Meanwhile he was drinking bag.

I got great satisfaction from this.

If true, you belong in jail.

Archived