The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you are exactly right. Send him down for a month or two and bring him up for a couple of games. Gaunce isn't scoring a lot but he is getting TOI and not hurting the club. He needs NHL exposure and is getting it. Virtanen likely benefits from exposure to a dif coach.  

Your different coach is a good point.  Maybe JB is not sending JV down, because there is a coaching change coming on the big club, and the win last night only postponed the inevitable?

On 01/11/2016 at 2:09 AM, DeNiro said:

True, but again Stecher has had an extra year of development to work out the flaws in his game.

I don't think college development equals minor pro development.I do wish that Subban was better defensively, though, because we could sure use a guy who can create goals on our D and run our PP - though I don't know how much that PP would improve so long as the Sedins play catch around the periphery - killing off every opportunity - it does like their style has been neutralized by other teams extensive scouting.

I feel like he is never going to get a fair shot with the Canucks Stecher is way better defensively than Subban and plays more physical and seems capable of a considerable level of offence 30-40 points like Ben Hutton that Jordan Subban can provide but with much more risky plays.

Plus 2 small guys can't be on the same d core. Hard enough to sneak one under 6 foot guy on the d but 2? Not happening.

Obviously the Canucks are hoping to showcase Subban to put in a package provided his defensive awareness improves enough to get a quality asset back for him or in a package with another player.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Obviously the Canucks are hoping to showcase Subban to put in a package provided his defensive awareness improves enough to get a quality asset back for him or in a package with another player.

Obviously? Wish I had your crystal ball so I can see what else Canucks management is doing

23 minutes ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Obviously? Wish I had your crystal ball so I can see what else Canucks management is doing

Maybe it is not "obvious" in the literal sense but if you connect the dots that's how it is going. Stecher has already taken Subban's future spot on the Canucks and is better than him defensively so much that Subban's offensive upside might not make up for his lack of d-zone awareness.

It would make sense for the Canucks to trade one of their few young assets in Subban who may be attractive to another team due to his age and offensive upside.

Virtanen, Subban and the Canucks first rounder next year for Tyson Barrie would be pretty nice and give the Canucks a legit 1st pair offensive d-man.

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Plus 2 small guys can't be on the same d core. Hard enough to sneak one under 6 foot guy on the d but 2? Not happening.

Tyson Barrie is 5'10 190 lbs

Jordan Subban 5'9 175 lbs.. and also 4 years younger. Hardly much smaller.

While I like Barrie, and his offence speaks for him self. He isn't a great dman.

I know plus minus isn't a great stat but -16 last year. And -8 through 13 games this year.

That's a terrible trade, considering it's looking like we'll be in the lottery again. 

8 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I feel like he is never going to get a fair shot with the Canucks Stecher is way better defensively than Subban and plays more physical and seems capable of a considerable level of offence 30-40 points like Ben Hutton that Jordan Subban can provide but with much more risky plays.

I don't agree that two small guys can't be on the same d core even if ones a 7 they'd definitely work will our big D.

hutton-guddy 

Joulevi -tryamkin 

Pedan-Subban

brisebois

10 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I don't agree that two small guys can't be on the same d core even if ones a 7 they'd definitely work will our big D.

hutton-guddy 

Joulevi -tryamkin 

Pedan-Subban

brisebois

You don't like Stecher, or is he trade bait?

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Maybe it is not "obvious" in the literal sense but if you connect the dots that's how it is going. Stecher has already taken Subban's future spot on the Canucks and is better than him defensively so much that Subban's offensive upside might not make up for his lack of d-zone awareness.

It would make sense for the Canucks to trade one of their few young assets in Subban who may be attractive to another team due to his age and offensive upside.

Virtanen, Subban and the Canucks first rounder next year for Tyson Barrie would be pretty nice and give the Canucks a legit 1st pair offensive d-man.

Pass. Stecher is going to be our Barrie that can actually play defense. Colorado has no need for Subban. 

Subban to New Jersey inexchange for a 2nd or 3rd rounder depending on how he finishes the season? 

5 hours ago, Virtanen The Great said:

While I like Barrie, and his offence speaks for him self. He isn't a great dman.

I know plus minus isn't a great stat but -16 last year. And -8 through 13 games this year.

That's a terrible trade, considering it's looking like we'll be in the lottery again. 

The Canucks are gonna suck anyway Barrie is a BC boy and would make coming to the games actually exciting being a legit 40 plus oint offensive d man the Canucks have not had since Ehrhoff. He offsets the loss of Subvan who is not getting a chance here anyways.

I don't get how else you can improve the team shirt term and long term business adding a guy like Tyson Barrie to spark the power play and add some much needed offence from the back end.

5 hours ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Barrie unlike Subban is actually proven plays bigger than his size and is not as big a liability in his own zone as Subban is.

Or we could sit tight and hope Stecher becomes a poor man's Tyson Barrie.

By the way the Canucks first rounder would be for next year not this year's guaranteed top 10 pick.

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Barrie unlike Subban is actually proven plays bigger than his size and is not as big a liability in his own zone as Subban is.

Or we could sit tight and hope Stecher becomes a poor man's Tyson Barrie.

By the way the Canucks first rounder would be for next year not this year's guaranteed top 10 pick.

Yes, let's trade first round picks since Canucks have so much high-end offensive talent in their forward prospects.

3 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Yes, let's trade first round picks since Canucks have so much high-end offensive talent in their forward prospects.

You gotta trade something of value to get a good player back.

Thats how it usually works. If you don't want a top scoring offensive d-man something the Canucks need BTW, you can instead try to acquire someone like Sam Reinhart or take your pick.

21 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'm not so sure I agree. I could see steering away from 2 smaller guys on 1 pairing, but don't see why 2 smaller dmen couldn't be on the same team. We've already got some bigger bodies around to help pair them with and help isolate them...Gudbranson, Tryamkin, and Edler. There are different types of small guys. Just because a guy is small doesn't mean he can't handle the physical play or is a weakling. 

Archived