The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

I don't know why management hasn't called up Subban. We can't score a goal and he has been one of the best offensive defencemen in the AHL. I don't care if his defence isn't great, you gotta play him so he can learn. I know everyone likes Stetcher and so do I but this is a guy I'd rather give an opportunity over Stetcher. He puts up numbers simple as that.

26 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

I don't know why management hasn't called up Subban. We can't score a goal and he has been one of the best offensive defencemen in the AHL. I don't care if his defence isn't great, you gotta play him so he can learn. I know everyone likes Stetcher and so do I but this is a guy I'd rather give an opportunity over Stetcher. He puts up numbers simple as that.

This team is allergic to offensive prospects. They've made that obvious for quite awhile now.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And have they really put much effort into developing them?

Grabner was a good example of a player that just needed a bit more coaching. But who needs a pure goal scorer, it's not like this team lacks scoring or anything.

Yes, quite the illustrious career he went on to after first being traded, then waived :rolleyes:

Grabner's problem was a lack of effort.

Perhaps, the vast majority of guys we 'ruined' were simply not good enough for any assortment of reasons...

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yes, quite the illustrious career he went on to after first being traded, then waived :rolleyes:

Grabner's problem was a lack of effort.

Perhaps, the vast majority of guys we 'ruined' were simply not good enough for any assortment of reasons...

So every player we draft just isn't good enough, or has there been something lacking in our system?

Grabner had three 15+ goal seasons (soon to be 4). Knock him all you want but that's alot more success than most of our prospects over the last 10 years.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So every player we draft just isn't good enough, or has there been something lacking in our system?

Grabner had three 15+ goal seasons. Knock him all you want but that's alot more success than most of our prospects over the last 10 years.

Combination of things. Sub-par to mediocre drafting, mediocre development (poor when we got stuck with the Wolves), spending futures on contending, players dying. All of those things contributed to a hole in our prospect/development pool.

Grabner was a less successful NHL'er than Raymond who he was competing with when with us and that's largely on him and his lack of effort to change that.

Fortunately most of that has largely been remedied but we're only just starting to see the benefits from it now.

I love that you're complaining about how poorly we develop players while complaining about us developing Subban without a hint of irony...

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Combination of things. Sub-par to mediocre drafting, mediocre development (poor when we got stuck with the Wolves), spending futures on contending, players dying. All of those things contributed to a hole in our prospect/development pool.

Grabner was a less successful NHL'er than Raymond who he was competing with when with us and never that's largely on him and his lack of effort to change that.

Fortunately most have that has largely been remedied but we're only just starting to see the benefits from it now.

I love that you're complaining about how poorly we develop players while complaining about us developing Subban without a hint of irony...

I'm not sure we can say it has been remedied yet since we have yet to see actual results. When this team drafts AND develops at least one impact scorer who produces in the NHL, then we can say we're getting somewhere.

I'm not complaining about us developing players, I'm pointing out a very obvious problem. And Subban appears to be developing fine, never said anything about that. What opportunity he actually gets at the next level, if any, remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I'm not complaining about us developing players

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

And have they really put much effort into developing them?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Subban just has to keep establishing himself in every game. He has some flaws but you cannot coach compete level and desire to win, which I think he has in abundance.

His second year of pro hockey let him keep learning. Some players have longer roads to break in and I think that'll help him build character.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You mean like Larsen is doing? :shock:

This. I mean how much more of a liability can Subban be compared to Larsen. Not much. Though I do think the best thing for Subban is to spend almost all this year in Utica but hopefully he gets at least one call up.

38 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

This. I mean how much more of a liability can Subban be compared to Larsen. Not much. Though I do think the best thing for Subban is to spend almost all this year in Utica but hopefully he gets at least one call up.

A lot. Larsen's a metric crap ton better in his own end. Both get exposed against size/physicality. Subban's likely slightly better at O (though that's TBD at this level.

Just let the poor kid develop and make it or not.

Seriously, can we just lock this thread from any posts other than updates? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Why don't we convert him to forward? Or try him out there? Hasn't he played forward before or am I thinking of someone else...

I feel like we'd get a lot of backlash from other fanbases for doing this.

Using a similar argument, we should move the Sedins to defence because they'd have a great breakout pass

4 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

I feel like we'd get a lot of backlash from other fanbases for doing this.

Using a similar argument, we should move the Sedins to defence because they'd have a great breakout pass

The reason I brought up the idea was that there's a very low likelihood of Subban making our defense. He's not gonna beat out our top 6, Juolevi, Stecher, Tryamkin, Biega are ahead of him, and well, he's just not good defensively. It's obvious he's a very good offensive player, why not let him try playing forward? As dumb as it seems, that might be the only way Subban ever makes this team.

Archived