The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Global co-ordinated effort to flood the system with as much cash as needed.

but as more bad news trickles in over coming days don't you think markets will just fall again?

Edited by Shift-4

Just some thoughts here. They have to bail out small businesses along with everything else or the moral hazard being created here will result in a further divide between rich and poor and result in a class war.

I hope they have thought this through and have a rock solid plan.

We are now in chartered waters.

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Just some thoughts here. They have to bail out small businesses along with everything else or the moral hazard being created here will result in a further divide between rich and poor and result in a class war.

Bail out the little guys. :lol:

42 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Various government sill throw money at the problem.  That money will go to business.  Business will buy back shares in their companies.  They will lay off workers regardless during this or outright fire them.  Those unemployed workers will then be forced to look to the government for money.  They will get at best 50% maybe 70% of their wages.  They will also be enticed and petitioned to borrow and spend more by the government and low interest rates in a bid to keep things moving.

Honestly man this is how it all ends.  Our money going to big business.  Big business using that money to pad their books.  people being forced to ask for handouts.  The told spend or else.

I said a few days ago that regardless of lower rates, people are far too over leveraged.  We're already seeing mandatory layoffs and closures.  People in BC will be forced to wait 3-6 weeks before government assistance.  It's how the foundations fall

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Various government sill throw money at the problem.  That money will go to business.  Business will buy back shares in their companies.  They will lay off workers regardless during this or outright fire them.  Those unemployed workers will then be forced to look to the government for money.  They will get at best 50% maybe 70% of their wages.  They will also be enticed and petitioned to borrow and spend more by the government and low interest rates in a bid to keep things moving.

Honestly man this is how it all ends.  Our money going to big business.  Big business using that money to pad their books.  people being forced to ask for handouts.  The told spend or else.

I said a few days ago that regardless of lower rates, people are far too over leveraged.  We're already seeing mandatory layoffs and closures.  People in BC will be forced to wait 3-6 weeks before government assistance.  It's how the foundations fall

Markets unimpressed. S&P futures are locked limit down -5%. The fear is the Fed just blew all their ammo.

I think they can pump their way out of this but it will just kick the can down the road. Eventually inflation and rates will explode and that will be the end game.

Edited by nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Markets unimpressed. S&P futures are locked limit down -5%. The fear is the Fed just blew all their ammo.

I think they can pump their way out of this but it will just kick the can down the road. Eventually inflation and rates will explode and that will be the end game.

I literally just heard a guy say that on market watch.  The feds just blew their load and it was a dud.  I really enjoyed him saying that, mousy looking old guy with the innuendo.

It's coming man.  Yikes.

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This the same Goldman? They're a little lite on credibility. Mind you this is from 2008 when oil was $150 ..............

"Super-spike" could lift oil to $200: Goldman

May 6, 2008 / 5:08 AM / 12 years ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil could shoot up to $200 within the next two years as part of a “super-spike” driven by poor growth in oil supplies, investment bank Goldman Sachs (GS.N) said in a research note.

Edited by nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This the same Goldman? They're a little lite on credibility. Mind you this is from 2008 when oil was $150 ..............

"Super-spike" could lift oil to $200: Goldman

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil could shoot up to $200 within the next two years as part of a “super-spike” driven by poor growth in oil supplies, investment bank Goldman Sachs (GS.N) said in a research note.

I remember that.  But they also pegged oil to Spike to $140 6 months prior so....

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

There will be companies and individuals who will try to profit from this. Like the women selling TP out of her SUV. There will be others who step up to help people. The first priority of business is to survive. If you don’t survive there is nothing left. In trying to survive sometimes mistakes are made. Sad but true. Passing judgment after the fact is inevitable.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, Chris12345 said:

Does anyone know if Pembina's dividend is safe?

That big boy is juicy.

Don’t know anything about them but I’d be careful.

Take a look at what happened to Vermilion Energy’s dividend last week. Share prices dropped huge amounts and dividends slashed by 50%

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Futures ain't gonne be down 1000 now lol, maybe +1000

16 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Not sure how this will totally help.

Cash just won't be moving like regular for the foreseeable future.

Just peeked at tsx for first time today. Down 1800.

Good times

Trump's pressure on the Feds to artificially prop up the economy with 0% rates is failing so far...just let the economy run its course and provide small businesses with some tax relief. My god...what's wrong with this idiotic administration...

The banks don't cheap credit - that's not the problem. It's just low demand, cheap credit is not going to make money move more in these times.

An econ major could manage this economy better than this President.

Anyways, I'm holding out until at least April. Best to just sit on my cash for the time being.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan