The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jiri Tlusty with Devils

HKSR

http://www.tsn.ca/devils-f-tlusty-to-one-year-800k-deal-1.361645

NEWARK, N.J. - The New Jersey Devils signed free-agent centre Jiri Tlusty to a one-year, $800,000 contract Wednesday.

The 27-year-old Tlusty, from the Czech Republic, had 14 goals and 17 assists in 72 regular-season games last season with Carolina and Winnipeg. He has 87 goals and 86 assists in 416 career games in eight seasons with Toronto, Carolina and Winnipeg.

Also, the Devils said centre Tyler Kennedy will attend training camp on a professional tryout. The 29-year-old Kennedy had six goals and eight assists in 38 regular-season games last season with San Jose and the New York Islanders. He has 86 goals and 113 assists in 477 career games in eight seasons with Pittsburgh, San Jose and the Islanders.

Tlusty could be a steal at 800,000. Although he had only 8 points in 20 games to end last season with the Jets, 7 of them were even strength. Season before he put up 30 points in 68 games, and during the lockout year had 38 points in 48 games (incl. 23 goals), could see him break out to a 45 point player if he gets the chance.

Funny how people bring up the lockout year when talking stats about players. But in between 2010 and 2012, players were scoring at a ridiculous pace. Almost every player in the league had inflated point totals. Why, we'll never know. But if you don't believe me, just look.

First of all if you are comparing the two you obviously haven't seen them play.

Second of all... who has a 5M contract?

Sutter, I sort of rounded off his cap.

Admittedly I haven't seen both play much but their point totals per year is similar. So Yeah I am just wondering what makes Sutter's contract worth it considering what others are getting right now and offensive production.

Sutter, I sort of rounded off his cap.

Admittedly I haven't seen both play much but their point totals per year is similar. So Yeah I am just wondering what makes Sutter's contract worth it considering what others are getting right now and offensive production.

It's not all about the points. Tlusty is more offensively talented compared to Sutter, who plays a hard-nosed 200ft game. Great defensively. Tough to play against. Puts up points while he can.

Archived