The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Training Camp Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm pretty sure in both cases the roster limit can be exceeded. LTIR won't be much use unless the Canucks plan on signing a new player with the remaining $1.2m in cap space.

I think that $1.2 millioin is really an illusion though.

As of right now hockeyscap.com shows Canucks with $1.273 million cap space, but for only 22 players rather than 23. Also, one of those listed players is Kenins at $600K and we know he's been assigned to Utica.

Really, that would seem to make it $1.873 mill cap space left but with two spots to fill from those funds.

Generalfanager shows Canucks having $400K space available with an assumed roster that includes Vey, Cracknell and Hutton but not Virt nor McCann.

Our best checking fwd is the least needed winger....interesting

First of all Hansen is not our best checking forward. Also which right winger will Hansen displace? Burrows, Vrbatta, Virtanen, or Dorsett?

Burrows is our best winger with the Sedins by far, and a better checker and penalty killer. Vrbata is our top goal scorer, Hansen won't outscore him or come anywhere near. Virtanen is already faster and a better checker, his hockey iq is already ahead of Hansen. Dorsett is the hardest working checker on the team, he will out hit and out fight Hansen anytime, he brings thing to the team Hansen can't. So where will Hansen fit? As our 13th forward? He is clearly the odd man out on the right wing if Virtanen stays on the team.

First of all Hansen is not our best checking forward. Also which right winger will Hansen displace? Burrows, Vrbatta, Virtanen, or Dorsett?

Burrows is our best winger with the Sedins by far, and a better checker and penalty killer. Vrbata is our top goal scorer, Hansen won't outscore him or come anywhere near. Virtanen is already faster and a better checker, his hockey iq is already ahead of Hansen. Dorsett is the hardest working checker on the team, he will out hit and out fight Hansen anytime, he brings thing to the team Hansen can't. So where will Hansen fit? As our 13th forward? He is clearly the odd man out on the right wing if Virtanen stays on the team.

Man, Hansen is a premier forechecker, one of the best I can remember ever playing for the Canucks. With his speed and hardwork, he's always a threat to create a turnover or keep the puck in the offensive zone a little longer so the team can re-group. Plus, he's able to put up top-9 point totals and play in an offensive role if there are injuries. He's scored 15 goals twice, and had 33 and 39 point seasons.

He's the type of player you keep around because you want youth to emulate his work ethic, and he can be relied on in all situations.

All at a very fair cap.

Man, Hansen is a premier forechecker, one of the best I can remember ever playing for the Canucks. With his speed and hardwork, he's always a threat to create a turnover or keep the puck in the offensive zone a little longer so the team can re-group. Plus, he's able to put up top-9 point totals and play in an offensive role if there are injuries. He's scored 15 goals twice, and had 33 and 39 point seasons.

He's the type of player you keep around because you want youth to emulate his work ethic, and he can be relied on in all situations.

All at a very fair cap.

Sure. I don't really view him that highly but even at that who of the other 4 right wingers that haven't gotten cut yet is going to get cut before him? There's only 4 spots for right wing, so who's not going to make the team out of the 5 right wingers that we have now?

I'm all for trading vrbata. He's a great scorer, but I don't see a place for him with "new" Canucks, his play is too soft. A Vrbata trade would change the look of the team to a one that is much harder to play against, don't you think so?

I'm all for trading vrbata. He's a great scorer, but I don't see a place for him with "new" Canucks, his play is too soft. A Vrbata trade would change the look of the team to a one that is much harder to play against, don't you think so?

Agree completely.......JB should already be looking at deals for him. No rush, but start the process

Agree completely.......JB should already be looking at deals for him. No rush, but start the process

I think you wait till the last minute, don't even make it known he is available till the deadline day. Some of the biggest mistakes GMs have made over the past few years is trying to keep pace with a conference opponent at the trade deadline.

Hell some of the stupidest things I have ever bought have been on impulse.

I think you wait till the last minute, don't even make it known he is available till the deadline day. Some of the biggest mistakes GMs have made over the past few years is trying to keep pace with a conference opponent at the trade deadline.

Vrbata is on an expirung contract on a team clearly rebuilding. I would say its no secret he's going to be dealt. On top of that, JB has shown that "winning a deal" is not as important as getting the piece he wants in return.

Not saying they should rush a deal, just that they should start shopping him.

Derek Roy is a classic example of value being bloated at the TD. Vrbata will fetch a pretty penny then.

Good analysis. My favored solution is to put Higgins on LTIR. You don't to rush him back anyway. (Remember the problems Richardson had last year with a similar injury). That frees up plenty of cap space for the first 10 games -- long enough to give McCann and Virtanen a 9-game audition and then make the decision about what direction to go in.

This. It makes sense from so many points of view. Benning has some difficult lineup decisions to make with McCann, Virtanen and Hutton all showing they belong. Buying time is the best way to sort that out. Since Higgins is a likely trade candidate down the road, LTIR is also a way to take a long look at what the lineup looks like without him. Penalty-killing was already an area where we were having to replace some solid performers from last year. With Higgins down, the need is even greater and we need to know if the new recruits (e.g. McCann) are up to it. Seeing the Sedins out at the end of a kill last night brought back bad memories of the Torts fiasco.

Vrbata is on an expirung contract on a team clearly rebuilding. I would say its no secret he's going to be dealt. On top of that, JB has shown that "winning a deal" is not as important as getting the piece he wants in return.

Not saying they should rush a deal, just that they should start shopping him.

Derek Roy is a classic example of value being bloated at the TD. Vrbata will fetch a pretty penny then.

I'd certainly agree that they should start shopping him now. But this is a weird cap year and at 5 miillion, many of the teams that might want him won't be able to fit him under until they've saved some cap from injuries throughout the year. That will be the main thing to improve the market for him, although the auction frenzy of the trade deadline usually bumps it up a bit more.

Sure. I don't really view him that highly but even at that who of the other 4 right wingers that haven't gotten cut yet is going to get cut before him? There's only 4 spots for right wing, so who's not going to make the team out of the 5 right wingers that we have now?

Well, Higgins is injured, Dorsett, Burrows and Virt can play both wings, and Hansen has played LW too in short intervals. Sutter was tried with the Sedins yesterday..lots of scenarios where Hansen fits in while the young guys get their 9 games, for example:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baer - Horvat - Vrbata

Burrows - McCann - Hansen

Dorsett - Vey - Virtanen

Prust

or

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baer - Horvat - Vrbata

Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Vey, Prust

or

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baer - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - McCann - Dorsett

Vey, Prust

etc etc

The problem with this preseason is that they want these kids to impress but they haven't had steady line mates in any game to create chemistry

Not only do they juggle the lines from game to game but they juggle them mid game as well

Tough enough for Virtanen and McCann to adjust to the NHL, now you have them guessing what there line mates are going to do, makes them play more timid

I sure hope that they don't expect points every game from them seeing as how even the vets are failing to do that

The problem with this preseason is that they want these kids to impress but they haven't had steady line mates in any game to create chemistry

Not only do they juggle the lines from game to game but they juggle them mid game as well

Tough enough for Virtanen and McCann to adjust to the NHL, now you have them guessing what there line mates are going to do, makes them play more timid

I sure hope that they don't expect points every game from them seeing as how even the vets are failing to do that

Do you think we fans judge guys too much on points, and management looks more at the players whole game, especially the d side of the game?

Archived