The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Takeover By The Ontario Boys

rizzuto&hatoum

The Swedes have been totally alright by me. Not sure this whole stereotyping of players by country has much value.

Nobody gets a free pass by way of passport.

Yes, Detroit , just sayin'

As far as devotion to team and city I think the Sedins have proven that over and over and they are not jumping ship even though they see the team is in a rebuild and their chances of winning a Cup before retiring are slim at best yet they stay.

The kids are giving it their all right now to 'make' the team not out of devotion to the team ... Not yet ... I have no doubt they will though in the future

Keep 'em coming, nothing against our veteran Swedes, but I love seeing more Canadians on the roster. We all know those pesky "stats" on the predominant nationality of cup winning teams...

I'd like to see more BC boys come our way too. McCann's been awesome and seems like he'll be a good Canuck in the future, but first impressions (his reaction to being drafted here) are hard to overcome, it would have been better to beam like Virtanen.

He was not unhappy to be drafted here. This has been talked about enough. He was unhappy that he was not drafted earlier. It just shows he is competitive.

Yeah, I totally don't mind seeing more Cdn boys in the lineup. I'm tired of buidling a team around Euros (ahem Swedes) and having most of our prospects being Cdn kids is a good thing. Hank has been a good captain and all, but it'll be a good day when BoHo takes over the helm. Hopefully in a year or 2, most of our prospects will be ready to take on major roles on the team, help out the Sedins and give us a good Cup run b4 they retire.

I am pretty stoked on the fact the future Canucks are Canadian boys.

Not to quote Don Cherry in here too much, but I do think he is right on the mark for what he says about any team that ends up going the distance. Not to take away from the miracles that Swedes like the Sedins put on the ice. Incredible and entertaining plays.

Either way, it just feels right to see Canadians on Canadian teams!

Keep 'em coming, nothing against our veteran Swedes, but I love seeing more Canadians on the roster. We all know those pesky "stats" on the predominant nationality of cup winning teams...

I'd like to see more BC boys come our way too. McCann's been awesome and seems like he'll be a good Canuck in the future, but first impressions (his reaction to being drafted here) are hard to overcome, it would have been better to beam like Virtanen.

My impression at the time was that he was mostly just unhappy that, having been projected for the top 10, he'd fallen to 24th, not that he had anything particular against the Canucks, but I could be wrong.

Anyone who likes Don Cherry isn't a Canucks fan. He and Ron MacLean single handedly turned a country against the Canucks back in 2011. Every Canadian team to make the finals in years prior were praised by these two and everyone else at the CBC. Nothing but feel good stories and promotional, inspirational sentiments. They bashed the Canucks at every opportunity and Don Cherry's love of the Bruins shined through in every broadcast. Screw Don Cherry and screw Ron MacLean, they should both be booed every time they set foot in BC!

What?

Don Cherry praised the Canucks continuously through the playoffs.

Sure, he showed his love for the Bruins, but he does this even when the Laffs are playing against the Bruins... that is just who he is.

Honestly, Don Cherry is probably the one who most praises the Canucks on national broadcasts.

P.J. Stock, on the other hand, should hang himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be also that for most European players now in their 30's or older, competing in and winning the Stanley Cup wasn't the be all and end all of their boyhood dreams. Winning gold at the Worlds or Olympics prolly ranked higher (cf past comments by Larianov, Forsberg, Ohlund, etc, even as they said to reporters - doubtless to please the audience - that it was always their dream)

Plus they learned the game on a larger ice surface, where shot-blocking isn't as effective.

So they wouldn't throw their bodies around the way a Canadian kid would, but not for lack of intensity.

I know what's been recorded as "fact" in regards to his displeasure at being drafted to Vancouver, doesn't help it sit for me, kids a stud, but as far as who's better... Vitanen is a better winger, McCann can out center Virt. I think they'll compliment each other nicely in the future.

But if I had to bet in which one would risk his teeth for the team, I'm going with hometown hero, JV.

maybe that was just his fart face....like when you are in the middle if a good cut....you make that face

I am pretty stoked on the fact the future Canucks are Canadian boys.

Not to quote Don Cherry in here too much, but I do think he is right on the mark for what he says about any team that ends up going the distance. Not to take away from the miracles that Swedes like the Sedins put on the ice. Incredible and entertaining plays.

Either way, it just feels right to see Canadians on Canadian teams!

I don't care where the players are from. I want s Cup! Our best players have been from Russia, Sweden, Montreal, and Medicine Hat. Give me Hasek, and Lidstrom in their primes. Through in Datsuyk and Fetisov. I like our Canadian boys too, but the best players should get the spots, regardless of what their birth certificate says. iMHO

Shouldnt it be enough that they are all Canucks at the end of the day? Pavel Bure was not a Canadian, but he was truly a Canuck at heart. This organization owes the spirit it embodies today to Patt Quinn, not from BC. Hate Kelser as much as you want but he wore that logo with pride, and he fought hard for this team, as long as he was here. The Sedins define what it is to be a Canuck and they have dedicated their lives to playing for this city. Yet, some people are still not satisfied. Who cares if they arent BC boys or Canadians?. I dont care for their ethnicity or nationality as long as they get this city a cup, and play their hearts out wearing blue, green, and white. :picard:

Good ol Canadian boys. Forget the Kopitar's and Hossa's of the league. Am I right?

Correct!

And is my memory wrong; or was Malkin not play off MVP?

Lidstrom a passenger on all those Detroit teams.

Tikkanen had no jam, Kurri no skill or heart compared to their Canadian teammates on those great Oiler squads...

Archived