The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bodog Odds: Canucks worse than Oilers, Senators, and Jets

D-Money

Rightfully so. The Jets, Flames, and even Oilers should and probably will be better than the Canucks this year. However, as long as the Sedins are around there is always reason to believe the Canucks can overachieve and do better than predicted. From what I've seen thus far in preseason it's looking more and more likely that a top 5 pick is in the near future but I could be wrong

Lemieux was nuts his rookie year.

But it took years to build around him. They won when they also had a good complimentary team.

Here were the top-5 scorers on the Penguins after Lemieux, in his rookie year:

Warren Young

Douglas Shedden

Michael Bullard

Wayne Babych

John Chabot

They didn't have talented players to play with him...at all. But then they started adding more young talent and complimentary vets, and years later they eventually built a quality team to surround him with...and they dominated.

But the Oilers are different. They have a ton of young talent (Hall, RNH, Eberle, Nurse, Draisatl, Klefbom, Reinhart, Yakupov, Talbot, Schultz), and some decent complimentary vets as well (Sekera, Pouliot, Fayne, Purcell, Ference). They were already well on their way to building a quality team, even without winning the McDavid lottery.

So Oilers are dropping McDavid - considered the best Junior player since Lemieux - into team that is close to already complimenting him. They are going to be a force to be reckoned with, and soon. I think they will need another year to all come together, and for the young D to mature.

That's a pretty ridiculous set of stats. Oilers were an awful team last year and have not even played a game since their last bottom of the pack finish - all the sudden they have double the odds of winning a cup over the Canucks who were 7th overall at the end of the regular season?

Okay...

Big changes will always call out the doubters.

The Oilers were, once again, bottom feeders. Any change at all has to make them a little better.

Oilers will be a good team this year and probably a force next year. Not saying I'm happy about that, but let's be realistic. That much talent with the new management team, something has to happen!

Really? where is all the Talent. At best I see Edmonton squeaking into a play-off spot within the next five years. But I am not sold on RNH (too small) Hal,l might not have a very high ceiling, and Yak just looks too slow. Remember Pavel had like 4 break aways a game when he was a rookie. and every time he touched the puck fans were on their feet. Yak only gets fans on their feet when they take off their jersey's. Edmonton has finally made some good management changes. But the mess is still their. It will take until December this year to realize they have to blow up some of these draft picks, and change the product on the ice. And another though what if McDavid is not ready physically? Do they still rush him , I mean he is on TSN's most watched list . He should be rookie of the year next year. This year I see struggles.

Odds at Bodog.ca for Canadian teams winning the Stanley Cup:

Canadiens - 18-1

Flames - 28-1

Jets - 28-1

Oilers - 33-1

Senators 40-1

Canucks 66-1

Leafs 100-1

(Taken from http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/carey-price-montreal-canadiens-preview-1.3247182)

Yikes. I expect us to be a bubble team, and probably not making the playoffs. But I also expect similar results from the Jets, Oilers, and Senators. That's quite a wide discrepancy though.

I think that with the signing of Mike Babcock and Lou Lamoriello, the leafs have a better shot than the Canucks.

I'm not sure the Oilers are going to burn down the house this year and send Gretzky-like waves of fear through the opposition...but they certainly look to have improved with their changes to management and the addition of a 'generational' player (anyone else feel that word has lost a lot of meaning over the last ten years?).

Odds are they will be a bubble team...which i'm sure is fantastic for the majority of their fans.

As for the Senators and the Jets its a bit of a crapshoot because the circumstances in their divisions are so different than the Canucks and Oilers that its really tough to predict just how things will play out over there. Personally i'm not sold on either of those teams and their ability to compete in the playoffs, much like the Canucks.

Archived