The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects pushing vets

captaincowbasher

i dont know how you cant make room for these guys... McCann, Hutton and Gaunce have outplayed our vets every game. Virtanen seems to be on track for a spot as well.

Hutton has stood out to me every game. Smart plays and able to play in any situation. Weber has shown nothing.

Lets see if management sticks to their word and moves vets to make room. the winds of change are blowing whether management is ready or not. go canucks go!

If you really want to think about it, Vey shouldn’t have been acquired at all. But hindsight is 20/20. At the time we picked him up we only had Horvat in our prospect system that look like a real NHLer, and in the summer of 2014 no one really new if he would have made the opening roster that year. We also hadn’t drafted McCann yet so we were looking really slim in terms on young (top 6 potential) almost NHL centers. So I can see why JB went out and got him. It also didn’t hurt that your newly signed coach was really high on the kid.

But looking back at it you can see how it was a mistake. It cost us a 2nd round pick to start off with, It also cost us re-signing Santo (who would have been a perfect 2 year stop gap as a bottom 6 versatile player. Who can play center, wing and PK). It also played a great role in canucks parting with Kassian. Last year we constantly saw Vey get favoured over Kassian in the lineup, not only in terms of being a healthy scratch but also offensive zone ice time. (Vey admitted this). Now to be honest I wouldn’t be surprised to see Vey favoured once again in terms of a roster spot over the likes of McCann or the RW spot over Virtanen.

Honestly even though Vey is versatile depth, he doesn’t really have a spot on this team. He’s not a good long term fit as a 4th line center. He’s not a good center fit on the canucks roster at all. Hank, Sutter, and Horvat are already ahead of him. McCann is also showing more than him and by this time next year I wouldn’t be surprise to see Cassels surpass him on center depth. If Vey has a future with the canucks it’s not down the middle. On RW, he doesn’t provide more than any of the players currently there, and Virtanen has already passed him.

Give him the 9 game tryout just like the rookies, if he doesn’t show up, put him in the press box as depth. If JB starts to see Vey getting the coaches favouritism again and getting roster spots over more deserving player (like Kassian last year). It would be best to end the relationship and move Vey out. His type of depth isn’t that hard to replace.

If you really want to think about it, Vey shouldn’t have been acquired at all. But hindsight is 20/20. At the time we picked him up we only had Horvat in our prospect system that look like a real NHLer, and in the summer of 2014 no one really new if he would have made the opening roster that year. We also hadn’t drafted McCann yet so we were looking really slim in terms on young (top 6 potential) almost NHL centers. So I can see why JB went out and got him. It also didn’t hurt that your newly signed coach was really high on the kid.

But looking back at it you can see how it was a mistake. It cost us a 2nd round pick to start off with, It also cost us re-signing Santo (who would have been a perfect 2 year stop gap as a bottom 6 versatile player. Who can play center, wing and PK). It also played a great role in canucks parting with Kassian. Last year we constantly saw Vey get favoured over Kassian in the lineup, not only in terms of being a healthy scratch but also offensive zone ice time. (Vey admitted this). Now to be honest I wouldn’t be surprised to see Vey favoured once again in terms of a roster spot over the likes of McCann or the RW spot over Virtanen.

Honestly even though Vey is versatile depth, he doesn’t really have a spot on this team. He’s not a good long term fit as a 4th line center. He’s not a good center fit on the canucks roster at all. Hank, Sutter, and Horvat are already ahead of him. McCann is also showing more than him and by this time next year I wouldn’t be surprise to see Cassels surpass him on center depth. If Vey has a future with the canucks it’s not down the middle. On RW, he doesn’t provide more than any of the players currently there, and Virtanen has already passed him.

Give him the 9 game tryout just like the rookies, if he doesn’t show up, put him in the press box as depth. If JB starts to see Vey getting the coaches favouritism again and getting roster spots over more deserving player (like Kassian last year). It would be best to end the relationship and move Vey out. His type of depth isn’t that hard to replace.

Great post, especially regarding the contrasting treatment of Vey and Kassian last year. I've given up saying it myself because the "Benning can do no wrong" crowd goes through the roof at any mention of Kassian, and because that episode is over, for better or worse. But going forward, McCann-Vey is a very different kettle of fish and Benning does have to manage this better, if necessary by dumping Vey, as you say.

Trade Higgins over Hansen. I'd trade Burrows over Hansen even.

Corrado and Vey have to go through waivers, try and trade them first.

To each their own, but in my opinion, Higgins is a better 200 ft player (+8 to -6) compared to Hansen. Add in he doesn't take dumb penalties and he can play anywhere in the lineup (even centre) and he's a more valuable player to me.

Burrows is one very likely the most important guy in that locker room to, "Show the kids the way". The guy has worked his butt off to get where he is and he's still the hardest worker on the team. I want a guy like that teaching young players.

As far as worrying about waivers, that doesn't concern me much. If they aren't good enough for a roster spot now, chances are they're only going to be bubble roster guys down the road.

To each their own, but in my opinion, Higgins is a better 200 ft player (+8 to -6) compared to Hansen. Add in he doesn't take dumb penalties and he can play anywhere in the lineup (even centre) and he's a more valuable player to me.

Burrows is one very likely the most important guy in that locker room to, "Show the kids the way". The guy has worked his butt off to get where he is and he's still the hardest worker on the team. I want a guy like that teaching young players.

As far as worrying about waivers, that doesn't concern me much. If they aren't good enough for a roster spot now, chances are they're only going to be bubble roster guys down the road.

At this point, Vey probably would slip through on waivers and by this time next year, he'd have to be exposed to them unless he miraculously turns his game around since there's too strong a push coming from Utica. Corrado is a different story imho since we only have 3 RD and no LD who have proven they can play on the right. He hasn't been super impressive and neither has Weber, but who can replace them? Unfortunately it's Bartkowski and Hutton, sitting at 4 and 5 on the LD depth chart, who have shown the most. We're not waiving Edler or Hamhuis, and Benning has tied his own hands with Sbisa's extension, so what happens? However unfair it will be to Hutton, I say they take the safe way out and send him down. Asset management is going to take precedence over merit in this case. Probably it should, too, much as I hate to say it, but once again all of this only goes to show how badly constructed our D is.

At this point, Vey probably would slip through on waivers and by this time next year, he'd have to be exposed to them unless he miraculously turns his game around since there's too strong a push coming from Utica. Corrado is a different story imho since we only have 3 RD and no LD who have proven they can play on the right. He hasn't been super impressive and neither has Weber, but who can replace them? Unfortunately it's Bartkowski and Hutton, sitting at 4 and 5 on the LD depth chart, who have shown the most. We're not waiving Edler or Hamhuis, and Benning has tied his own hands with Sbisa's extension, so what happens? However unfair it will be to Hutton, I say they take the safe way out and send him down. Asset management is going to take precedence over merit in this case. Probably it should, too, much as I hate to say it, but once again all of this only goes to show how badly constructed our D is.

You’re right Hutton will likely get sent down. But I don’t think it will be for long. It’s only a matter of time before Hamhuis or Edler go down with an injury and I believe Hutton will be the first call up. If Hutton can keep up his play in the AHL, I would expect Hamhuis to be put on the market. I do think he is gone by deadline, but Hutton could force Benning to make that move sooner than later.

You’re right Hutton will likely get sent down. But I don’t think it will be for long. It’s only a matter of time before Hamhuis or Edler go down with an injury and I believe Hutton will be the first call up. If Hutton can keep up his play in the AHL, I would expect Hamhuis to be put on the market. I do think he is gone by deadline, but Hutton could force Benning to make that move sooner than later.

Yes, this is the best-case scenario alright. The only thing that weighs against it is depth, but if other Utica D are looking ready then they are in a position to pull the trigger on a Hamhuis deal. Benning really does have to get decent value on Hamhuis, though, not just open up a spot at any cost.

Vey can 13th forward until there's injuries and/or Vrbata gets moved at the deadline. Great 13th as I've been saying all along.

Looks more and more like Higgins and Hansen should be moved to let guys like Virtanen, McCann and Gaunce into the line up, which would be fantastic. We might be able to pick up a second and third in the 2016 entry draft...with that said Vey needs to have a big game tonight as well.

Vey needs a flight to France.

The thing I hate right now is that our cap situation doesn't really allow for the team keeping more than one of Hutton, McCann, Gaunce, or Virtanen. Not without trading a veteran and moving salary.

(According to General Fanager) we have just under $1.3 million in cap space with a 22-man roster (that's including Higgins). So unless Higgins goes on LTIR (which would require him being out for nearly all of October), there's only space to add a single contract in the $800,000 to $900,000 range.

Benning really should've made the Habs retain around 750K on Prust to make the Kassian trade cap neutral. Giving up that pick should've been enough to get Montreal to hold back some salary. And then we'd be sitting with $2 million in space and the option to add two of that (Hutton, McCann, Gaunce, Virtanen) group of players and carry a full 23 man roster (plus Higgins as a 24th on IR).

As it stands, we can keep one of those youngsters in the lineup and have only 22 active roster players (plus Higgins). We can't even afford to fill 23 active roster spots and keep an extra young guy around for injury relief until Higgins recovers. Just don't have the cap space.

So then we get into the question of whether or not one of those four rookies can claim a spot by forcing Kenins back to Utica (which definitely isn't something I'd like to see happen). Because I don't see JB trading a veteran before opening night, even if one of the rookies has "earned" his spot.

So probably the (realistic) best case scenario is that we see one of either Hutton, McCann, Gaunce, or Virtanen make the opening roster. The rest go back to the minors or junior.

Or another way of seeing it is that two of Kenins, Hutton, McCann, Gaunce, and Virtanen can make this team.

Sucks to be in a situation where we actually have roster space available for youngsters but we lack the cap space to fill the vacancy created by Higgins getting injured (ie: carrying 23 players plus Higgins on the IR). And this could get even worse if another veteran gets injured (but doesn't go on LTIR). Unfortunately there's just not much roster flexibility in the cap situation Benning has chosen for the start of this season. Of course this problem goes away as soon as any veteran (with significant salary) gets traded, but I don't see that happening before the season opener.

And I don't want to be in the anti-Benning crowd but it's a shame that management didn't see this coming when they were signing extensions and making trades.

Just shaving 500K off the total this season, between the (Sbisa, Dorsett, Vey, etc.) contracts and the trades (maybe get retention on Prust deal), would have given us the capspace to keep both Virtanen and McCann up for 9 games and then bring up Gaunce and Hutton later. Instead, we're forced to send someone back to junior who may deserve to be in the NHL and/or demote guys to the AHL who are ready for the bigs.

The Higgins injury should have been a ticket for one of the prospects to get some NHL action. Instead, we're looking at demoting a youngster for cap reasons (because we can't even afford to carry the ELC to fill the spot). And that's something a "rebuild on the fly" team really shouldn't be doing with its next generation of players.

As I recall, the trade was made after the McCann pick, but considering he wasn't going to step in next year anyway it's rather moot.

It appears to be a similar situation now, having extra players as insurance in case the young ones aren't ready. Benning signed a number of stop-gap players to one-year deals for this season, under the perception that a number of prospects were getting close to but not quite ready to make the team. Thing is, they likely didn't expect more than Virtanen and maybe Gaunce to be ready to make that jump. But knowing workhorse Benning, he undoubtedly has all these contingencies mapped out and gamed on his wall-sized whiteboards, so we'll see what they come up with.

Archived