The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Corrado claimed by Toronto Maple Leafs

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

8 minutes for a d-man? Wow, he may as well stay in the press box.

Yeah it seems like they just played him for show. But then again, what can one expect from a player that has been benched for so long? I still think that if they are not going to play him, they should waive him and let another team use him.

12 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Yeah it seems like they just played him for show. But then again, what can one expect from a player that has been benched for so long? I still think that if they are not going to play him, they should waive him and let another team use him.

I'm not surprised by it only being 8 minutes. He's still a prospect. He's also not played until now. Therefore, it makes sense for the coach to want to shelter him a bit to start. Most prospects start that way.

On 12/13/2015 at 2:15 PM, WHL rocks said:

Hard to disagree with those who said JB made a mistake when he lost this kid on waivers. 

I also think it was a mistake for JB to suggest he'd pick him up if Corrado was waived.

Now TO is going to play him and keep him up. Not saying they would have tried to send him to the Marlies if JB didn't make those comments as we don't have any evidence of that but just that there was no need to make those comments to the media. In part a GM's job is to play poker and not show your cards. There was absolutely no need for JB to say anything to the media re Corrado. 

I think there's more to it than 'showing his hand' - as if he misspoke.

He's saying a few things.  One is for Toronto to sh!t or get off the pot.  Claim a player - play the player - and stop abusing the waiver system.  He did Frank a favour and called out the Leafs.

Second - hey Frank - we're still interested in you, and you'd be playing here right now had the Leafs not fd you around - so if they suggest another "conditioning stint" tell them to go fk themselves and to put you back on waivers.  We have a spot/ice time for you and would be happy to have you back.

Oh yeah, and thankfully you're an RFA at season's end....

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think there's more to it than 'showing his hand' - as if he misspoke.

He's saying a few things.  One is for Toronto to sh!t or get off the pot.  Claim a player - play the player - and stop abusing the waiver system.  He did Frank a favour and called out the Leafs.

Second - hey Frank - we're still interested in you, and you'd be playing here right now had the Leafs not fd you around - so if they suggest another "conditioning stint" tell them to go fk themselves and to put you back on waivers.  We have a spot/ice time for you and would be happy to have you back.

Oh yeah, and thankfully you're an RFA at season's end....

He's not that smart and even if he was  trying to do what you say, well it didn't work. Actually it made things worse ad Leafs immediately announced Frankie would be in the lineup for next game.  Things u mention do nothing towards helping the Canucks including the fact Frankie is RFA next year which means nothing. Hes club controlled.

Only thing that would have helped was to keep your mouth shut and pounce if Leafs were to place him on waivers. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

He's not that smart and even if he was  trying to do what you say, well it didn't work. Actually it made things worse ad Leafs immediately announced Frankie would be in the lineup for next game.  Things u mention do nothing towards helping the Canucks including the fact Frankie is RFA next year which means nothing. Hes club controlled.

Only thing that would have helped was to keep your mouth shut and pounce if Leafs were to place him on waivers. 

If the Leafs were going to place him on waivers they would have done so by now. They have no motivation to do so, they have another defenseman who is waiver ineligible in Harrington if they need roster space to call someone up, which they don't.

The Marlies are the best team in the AHL, they have like 4 players in the minors playing at close to our above 1ppg and yet they haven't showed the slightest inclination at calling any of them up. The season is a write off for them, nothing Benning says is going to influence them to waive Corrado. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

If the Leafs were going to place him on waivers they would have done so by now. They have no motivation to do so, they have another defenseman who is waiver ineligible in Harrington if they need roster space to call someone up, which they don't.

The Marlies are the best team in the AHL, they have like 4 players in the minors playing at close to our above 1ppg and yet they haven't showed the slightest inclination at calling any of them up. The season is a write off for them, nothing Benning says is going to influence them to waive Corrado. 

There should be some kind of caveat to poaching a guy off waivers.  I feel terrible for Corrado who has barely played a game of hockey yet this season.  You only get a finite amount of time for your career and this has been a waste of an important season for him.  play him, waive him or don't make a claim for him at all.

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

There should be some kind of caveat to poaching a guy off waivers.  I feel terrible for Corrado who has barely played a game of hockey yet this season.  You only get a finite amount of time for your career and this has been a waste of an important season for him.  play him, waive him or don't make a claim for him at all.

The Leafs completely fked with Percy all last season as well.  They have absolutey no idea how to develop players - which may explain their absolutely horrendous record of producing assets through their own system.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

The Leafs completely fked with Percy all last season as well.  They have absolutey no idea how to develop players - which may explain their absolutely horrendous record of producing assets through their own system.

there should be some kind of draft pick penalty for that kind of behaviour.  I'm honestly surprised the NHLPA hasn't filed a grievance on this.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

there should be some kind of draft pick penalty for that kind of behaviour.  I'm honestly surprised the NHLPA hasn't filed a grievance on this.

Why would you bother though? I mean how is this any different from Tinordi who has been sitting in Montreal's press box all season long. The Leafs claimed him because he was better than their #8 defenseman. If some injuries happened he could have gotten a chance sooner but the team was lucky enough to not face any. 

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Didn't Corrado sit in the press box for long periods of time last season? At some point winning has to precedence over player development.

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

Didn't Corrado sit in the press box for long periods of time last season? At some point winning has to precedence over player development.

Not what I'm referring to.  Percy was up and down like a cheap yoyo last season as the Leafs used his waiver ineligibility to play ridiculous cap savings games while being an utter bottomfeeder.  The player's development took a back seat to useless cap space for a floundering franchise that was outsmarting itself in comic proportions.  Unfortunately, a good young defensman like Percy was not the benefactor, to say the leafst.

10 hours ago, Toews said:

Why would you bother though? I mean how is this any different from Tinordi who has been sitting in Montreal's press box all season long. The Leafs claimed him because he was better than their #8 defenseman. If some injuries happened he could have gotten a chance sooner but the team was lucky enough to not face any. 

No, it shouldn't.  Play him or waive him......it's a terrible thing to do to a kid in a crucial year

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

at the rate they're going, they're going to get a higher pick than Chycrun

Great! If they're in line for Matthews, trade down to get Chychrun. Benning was a D-man. He knows the importance of such a piece as a 1D.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Great! If they're in line for Matthews, trade down to get Chychrun. Benning was a D-man. He knows the importance of such a piece as a 1D.

Chycrun isn't projected as a #1 D and I believe his stock is sliding as the year goes on.  He may not even be the top dman by the draft.  IMO, unless he is a bonafide franchise dman, like Ekblad, you pick dmen in rounds 2-3 and then sign UFA dmen.  First rounders, especially high first rounders, should be fwds, unless the dman is a franchise player.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Chycrun isn't projected as a #1 D and I believe his stock is sliding as the year goes on.  He may not even be the top dman by the draft.  IMO, unless he is a bonafide franchise dman, like Ekblad, you pick dmen in rounds 2-3 and then sign UFA dmen.  First rounders, especially high first rounders, should be fwds, unless the dman is a franchise player.

Ekblad wasn't a bona-fide franchise defenceman. He was projected to be a number 2 defenceman. Jones was supposed to be the franchise dman.

Chychrun is the real deal.

Archived