The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(GDT) Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames - Wed, Oct 7, 2015 - SN/SN360 - 7:00 PT/8:00 MT/10:00 ET

cleowin

Hope scratching Virt doesn't ruin the team's pre-season energy.

The vets should also get up for this game though considering losing to these guys in the playoffs, especially the Sedins.

Cracknell is obviously stoked, and McCann is playing his first NHL game. Horvat getting official 2nd line centre duties with a 30 goal scorer.

I think the Canucks will this win one.

This is a home and home opener remember. I'm guessing Virtanen will get his start in the Canucks home opener on Saturday.

unlikely we'll see a lot of McCann and Virt in the lineup together as well. Not early in the season anyway.

Wednesday, 10.7.2015 / 12:40 PM PT / Features

By Derek Jory
Ben Hutton was first to check the clock.

Jared McCann took a peek next.

Hutton, moments later, looked again.

McCann glanced over shortly after.

“I swear time stopped,” laughed Hutton. “I checked it at 8:30 p.m. when we went to bed and it felt like I’d been lying there for hours and I looked again and it was only 9 p.m. Time was moving very slowly last night.”

Both 22-year-old Hutton and 19-year-old McCann, roommates in Calgary, hit the sheets extra early Tuesday night looking to get a full night’s sleep. While the plan was solid, the execution was poor at best.

They tossed, they turned, they talked. They were like five-year-olds on Christmas Eve and with last night being the eve of their NHL debuts, their lack of shuteye is completely understandable.

Quite frankly, it’s to be expected.

“I have to make myself sleep this afternoon,” said McCann. “If the game was last night, I would have been flying. I had so much energy; I could have played 10-straight periods of hockey, they would have had to pull me off the ice.”

Now that’s the youthful energy and gusto the Canucks were looking for when they made McCann, Hutton and Jake Virtanen part of their roster to open the 2015-16 season.

“Everything was just running through my head, I couldn’t shut my brain off,” said Hutton, grinning. “You only get one NHL debut and sleep or not, I’ll be ready.”

What about the butterflies wreaking havoc in your stomach?

“I’ll be able to block some of that out, hopefully. The rest I’ll feed off of.”

McCann said the same thing, he’ll use the extra oomph in his step to his benefit, but he’ll be playing through the excited nervousness of his parents as well. Matt and Erin McCann will be at the Scotiabank Saddledome, proud as ever.

“Today is a day I’ll always remember,” smiled McCann.

“Forget sleep, can we just play now?”

Soon.

Well he is a pretty interesting guy... i mean he put Sutter with the Sedins. With WD, you have to expect the unexpected.

Who knows, next game we might see Virtanen with the Sedins.

I like how WD treated the pre-season and is nice to see him try Sutter with the Sedin's, wish he had more than 1 game as a test though. It'll be interesting to see if they can win o-zone faceoffs and punish teams with extended zone time. Sutter also seems smart enough to play the cycle game but hopefully he can show some finish.

But the #1 reason why I like this move is that it puts McCann in the 3rd line with Hansen and Burrows, vets that can chip in goals. Seems like a good line on paper.

For the first time in a decade,the Canucks are the underdog against the mighty Flames....Personally, I think the Flames are overhyped,and will most likely buckle under the pressure this year....Should bode well for the Canucks.

I don't think they're over hyped, they're a really good team. Buckle under the pressure? Oh for sure. Last year a lot of people didn't believe in Calgary, it was like another year for them to be bottom feeders. But they surprised everyone. I think since the spotlight is on them a lot, they wont be able to handle the pressure(its been like 900 years since they've actually had pressure on them, so they're just not used to it ::D)

Hmmmmmmmm, me thinks the score will be 3-1 Nuckers

Daniel from Hank,

Horvat from Baer

Burrows from McCann

Ferwhateverhisnameis gets sandwiched between Cracknell and Dorsett, gets injured and leaves the game whilst crying.

Brad Ziemer@BradZiemer 33m33 minutes ago

Shame that Shorthouse and @SNJohnGarrett will sit out 4 of first 8 #Canucks games while @Sportsnet brings its national crews in.

Sportsnet has ruined hockey games for me. It's ruined watching highlights at night... Its ruined post game and pre game shows.

I absolutely hate this garbage dictatorship. I'm sick of hearing about the Leafs and jays. I've completely stopped watching sport highlights because they throw their garbage on it

I look forward to the games John and John call and will dearly dread the garbage I'll have to listen to on the other nights.

Please tell me Simpson isn't commentating tonight. If so I'll need ear plugs.

I like to be positive in general but I genuinely hate this garbage.

Anywaysssss... Mccann wearing 91? Love it!

LET'S GO NUCKS!

Hope scratching Virt doesn't ruin the team's pre-season energy.

The vets should also get up for this game though considering losing to these guys in the playoffs, especially the Sedins.

Cracknell is obviously stoked, and McCann is playing his first NHL game. Horvat getting official 2nd line centre duties with a 30 goal scorer.

I think the Canucks will this win one.

i think its a smart move, going to be a physical game , and he will start his first nhl game in his home town

Archived