The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tuesday Practice - line ups and tidbits

Ossi Vaananen

I'm enjoying the new look lines on paper, but I'm worried about McCann with Dors and Prusty. He seems to do better with guys who think the game on a similar level to himself. That could lead to a lack of chemistry with the grinders, or maybe he get's some more space out there to create offense. Who Knows...

Love the lineup. Are we going to be keeping McCann up? Love what he brings, but his size is a bit of a worry...

McCann has been getting banged up pretty good all season and pre season...I think 4th line duty might tend to beat him up more.

Both him and Baer need to play in the top 9, Jared because he plays a gritty game without the size or strength to do that and Baer because he needs skilled players and doesn't play a gritty game.

McCann needs to show he can stay healthy or end up on the long term injury list to make the team...dichotomy after conundrum.

McCann has been getting banged up pretty good all season and pre season...I think 4th line duty might tend to beat him up more.

Both him and Baer need to play in the top 9, Jared because he plays a gritty game without the size or strength to do that and Baer because he needs skilled players and doesn't play a gritty game.

McCann needs to show he can stay healthy or end up on the long term injury list to make the team...dichotomy after conundrum.

I tend to think that 4th line duty with Prust and Dorsett is perfect as other players will be less inclined to be physical when McCann has two bodygaurds! Also, Horvat started on the 4th....it is only fair. :)

Bartkowski has had a terrible 2-3 games. I wouldn't mind seeing Weber step in.

Am on the fence about McCann. He has the skill but needs size. In the NHL guys will use their full strength to shove and pin you. At 179 he is at least 6lbs away from being an NHL player. 10lbs if he stays in the bottom 6 for any length of time.

I liked Sutter with the Sedins but for some reason, he was getting points and they weren't. Coupled with Vrbata's cold streak it's no surprise. I think the biggest reason for keeping them split was Vrbata won't be re-signed. They want somebody who can play with the twins for years to come. I would give Virtanen that chance. I think he got a few shifts and looked good. Missed a couple of solid opportunities. Let him settle in there for a game and see how it goes

Bartkowski has had a terrible 2-3 games. I wouldn't mind seeing Weber step in.

Am on the fence about McCann. He has the skill but needs size. In the NHL guys will use their full strength to shove and pin you. At 179 he is at least 6lbs away from being an NHL player. 10lbs if he stays in the bottom 6 for any length of time.

I liked Sutter with the Sedins but for some reason, he was getting points and they weren't. Coupled with Vrbata's cold streak it's no surprise. I think the biggest reason for keeping them split was Vrbata won't be re-signed. They want somebody who can play with the twins for years to come. I would give Virtanen that chance. I think he got a few shifts and looked good. Missed a couple of solid opportunities. Let him settle in there for a game and see how it goes

I don't think you look too much into that. Sedins have had a good start IMO and have just been terrible at burying their scoring chances. I can count at least 5 times 'Henrik to Daniel' has been robbed.

Otherwise, even though I don't think Vrbata is a great fit with the Sedins, which I could go on a whole new different rant about, I feel like at this point you've gotta get your best winger to play with your two best players to get them kickstarted.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Vrbata's play, or that he's not a particularly good fit with Horvat. (Though he has literally shot wide on at least 3 basically wide open nets this season that I recall. So again, it's not all on his linemates).

I also don't see him having much chemistry with Baer. Again, they both need a forechecking presence as they fill similar roles/skill sets.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Burrows, McCann, Vrbata

Prust/Dorsett, Cracknel, Dorsett/Virtanen

When Higgins gets back that 4th line gets crowded but man we'd be deep.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Burrows, McCann, Vrbata

Higgins, Cracknel, Dorsett/Virtanen/Prust

LOL, guess I'm too single minded?

I did not watch the pre-season game where Bo, Jake and Baer went nuts. So I'm not hung up on them as a line. Mismatched even?

I see Baer as an offensive player.  Bo as a defensive (first) guy.  Having Baer on Bo's line means he will be rolled out when Horvat, and his line, are deployed in tough defensive situations. I'd rather see Higgins / Bo / Hansen.  I don't even mind Higgins / Bo / Jake. Jake isn't a defensive forward per se. But he does have the speed to fore check. The size to equalize any of the tough West Coast match ups which include guys like Marleau, Brown, Hanzal. I like defensive lines that have speed, size and jam. Baer

And I would prefer to see Baer with McCann who both have quickness, slickness, dangle and bangin shots.

How about;

Burr / Bo / Sutter

Baer / McCann / Jake

Dorsett / Cracker / Hansen

How about;

Burr / Bo / Sutter

Baer / McCann / Jake

Dorsett / Cracker / Hansen

I'm not going to like any lineup that has Vrbata playing with the twins long term. Short term, to get Vrbata going...sure. Should be Burrows, Sutter, Hansen then Vrbata in that order IMO. Obviously a lot will depend on whether McCann sticks around. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him on Sutter's wing either and splitting L/R draws on their strong sides.

A lot up in the air still until it's decided on what rookies are staying, when Higgins gets back etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't still have an 'in ink' line up until mid-late November.

I'm not going to like any lineup that has Vrbata playing with the twins long term. Short term, to get Vrbata going...sure. Should be Burrows, Sutter, Hansen then Vrbata in that order IMO. Obviously a lot will depend on whether McCann sticks around. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him on Sutter's wing either and splitting L/R draws on their strong sides.

A lot up in the air still until it's decided on what rookies are staying, when Higgins gets back etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't still have an 'in ink' line up until mid-late November.

Agreed, I like Sutter with the twins personally. For the exact reason you mentioned L/R draws. Anybody else notice Henrik has a better faceoff percentage this year, probably cause he hasn't had to take as many weak side draws.

Agreed, I like Sutter with the twins personally. For the exact reason you mentioned L/R draws. Anybody else notice Henrik has a better faceoff percentage this year, probably cause he hasn't had to take as many weak side draws.

I LOVE  having Sutter there to split draws and also be the defensive C presence on that line!

Better team FO%, more puck possession, less wear and tear on Hank, let's the Sedins concentrate more on their offensive game, better speed, size and D presence on that line. So many benefits!

I LOVE  having Sutter there to split draws and also be the defensive C presence on that line!

Better team FO%, more puck possession, less wear and tear on Hank, let's the Sedins concentrate more on their offensive game, better speed, size and D presence on that line. So many benefits!

For sure, i've definitely noticed it. Really good possesion line. I don't understand why people are saying they aren't doing well together (at least from what i've read from other posts). I see a lot of good things coming from that line. Plus it gives McCann a chance to keep centering a line. Swapping him and Cracknell in and out depending on the style of teams they play could be very benificial for the team.

Putting Vrbata back with the Sedins is just to get Vrbata's confidence back up. The guy is a scorer and hasn't done that yet. Got to play on his mind a little bit, I've noticed he was a little hesitant last game with his one-timer and taking the shot. Once he pots his first, watch the flood gates open. This will also benefit the Sedins' point totals, as they haven't really produced much either. This is just a temporary line IMO. I fully expect Burrows to be back with the Sedins at some point.

If we can continue to beat the Cali teams?

I'm down with it. And I'll call myself wrong.

Last year Willie even sheltered Bo from hard match ups. I don't see us having McCann taking defensive draws against Joe Thornton by choice. Not at this stage of his career.  Nor, if we lose a draw in our end, is Danny / Sutter / Hank our best option.  I'd rather have guys like Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Jake, who get out and attack defensively, with Sutter as the pivot. I see match up problems defensively if we continue with Sutter up on the wing.

Similarly; we have offensive guys like Baer and Vrbata struggling.  They need an offensive puck possession centre to help them be effective where we need them. In the offensive end. Baer isn't scoring, because with Bo he is playing heavy match ups. Not getting O'zone starts in scoring situations.

There are benefits to Sutter being on the Twins wing. But I don't like the cost.

if these chemistry experiments continue to fail, i wouldn't mind seeing a game worth of

burrows-henrik-vrbata

daniel-sutter-hansen

baertschi-horvat-virtanen

prust-mccann/cracknell-dorsett

i've never been a proponent of splitting up the sedins, but it has me curious. 

Bo worked well with Kenins, also Hansen & Dorsett; because when he dumped the puck up ice in the corner, after a steal, they hauled ass and retrieved the puck. That's not Vrbta's game. Nor Baertschi.

They want and need to play with a guy who, like them, is carrying the puck over the blue line. Handling the puck, holding off pressure and buying them time and space to cut into scoring lanes. There is no sense having guys like them on the roster if our intent is to play dump and chase.

Archived