The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tuesday Practice - line ups and tidbits

Ossi Vaananen

This thread is just an update over Tuesday's practice, mainly in regards to what I've seen on twitter. 

Notes: 

- WD had McCann between Dorsett/Prust - says he 'likes his speed there'
- Sedins were with Vrbata
- Kid line together, other line of Burrows/Hansen/Sutter
- Higgins skating, on separate sheet of ice with Markstrom
- Markstrom taking 'stationary shots' - not using lateral movement yet
- Delay in practice as Horvat's shot broke glass behind net

Line up:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Prust - McCann - Dorsett
(Cracknell)

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
Hutton - Sbisa
(Weber)

I actually went to the practice at UBC.  I can add a few more things:

• The first power play unit now has Sutter playing the point with Edler.  Vrbata is playing on the left side near the goal line.  Sutter looked decent back there, but passed on a couple of shooting opportunities.
  • McCann and Virtanen were a penalty kill unit.  McCann actually stripped Edler a couple times when he was trying to rush the puck in
  • The Sedins rubbed it in Virtanen's face when they scored.  It was a pretty funny sight.
  • The second power play unit is Burrows-Horvat-Baertschi.  They looked quite good with great puck movement.
  • Weber looked the freshest while doing laps 
  • Markstrom does not look anywhere close to ready.  Not much movement, just working on his blocker and glove saves

I will be doing my best to attend to most of their practices at UBC throughout the season so hopefully I can add more in addition to the Twitter updates from the local reporters.

Hopefully WD gives those lines some time together, even if hey don't click automatically.  

Just makes so much sense to play Burr and Hansen with Sutter (reminds me of the old Burrows-Kesler-Hansen line that had good success as a shutdown unit with speed on the counter-attack).

Similarly, I hope the kid line is allowed to build some chemistry, because they're such a good balance on paper (and showed flashes of their potential during preseason in that Edmonton game).

McCann on the fourth will be interesting to watch.  Hopefully his speed and skillset will prove to bring more value than the grit/size/physicality lost in Cracknell.  But if he can settle in and play effectively in that role, it will solve the problem of what to do when Higgins returns (by allowing Cracknell to be sent down--simply due to the numbers game and not based on performance).

And, of course, here's hoping the twins and Vrbata can get going together and they each start converting on their chances.

Really wish Vrbata could get his game going without requiring CPR from Daniel and paddles from Hank...

Agreed. I'm not really a fan of playing them together, especially against better teams or when things actually ramp up late season and into the playoffs (assuming we get in). I just don't think they work well against tougher competition or tighter systems. But early season is a different style of hockey (for the most part) and we really need Vrbata to pot some goals, both for team scoring depth, and (possibly more importantly) to build his trade value.

Agreed. I'm not really a fan of playing them together, especially against better teams or when things actually ramp up late season and into the playoffs (assuming we get in). I just don't think they work well against tougher competition or tighter systems. But early season is a different style of hockey (for the most part) and we really need Vrbata to pot some goals, both for team scoring depth, and (possibly more importantly) to build his trade value.

I don't mind.

Vrbata can convert off the Twins as a better offensive player.

Burrows as a two way player has as much value elsewhere.

It gets the best out of both!

I don't mind.

Vrbata can convert off the Twins as a better offensive player.

Burrows as a two way player has as much value elsewhere.

It gets the best out of both!

Doesn't get the best out of the twins...

Also reduces our scoring depth in other lines and makes us easier to play against.

Also reduces our scoring depth in other lines and makes us easier to play against.

Agree to disagree.  I mean obviously there is a component, the glue game, that Burrows brings to the table. 

But its all about match ups. Throw the Twins out with Vrby in the offensive end. Throw Bo & Sutters lines out in the neutral and defensive zones. Throw McCann's line out for gravy. All three are offensive players plus have combinations of speed, skill and size. They would score against lower pairings and lines. If you can control situational match ups by having the right line deployed it can work. AV classic coaching tactics.

We were on a roll at the start of last year when Vrbata was on our top line. And the Twins were scoring. There was just less situations you could throw them out. But if we have depth, in theory the reason we got Sutter; that should not be a problem. Another line becomes harder to play against. And we start scoring more.

We only scored 1 goal against the Oilers. Our scoring depth can't get much worse.

I'd rather load up one line while the offense is struggling. Get Vrbata going and then he can actually have an impact on the second line.

Agree to disagree.  I mean obviously there is a component, the glue game, that Burrows brings to the table. 

But its all about match ups. Throw the Twins out with Vrby in the offensive end. Throw Bo & Sutters lines out in the neutral and defensive zones. Throw McCann's line out for gravy. All three are offensive players plus have combinations of speed, skill and size. They would score against lower pairings and lines. If you can control situational match ups by having the right line deployed it can work. AV classic coaching tactics.

We were on a roll at the start of last year when Vrbata was on our top line. And the Twins were scoring. There was just less situations you could throw them out. But if we have depth, in theory the reason we got Sutter; that should not be a problem. Another line becomes harder to play against. And we start scoring more.

The makeup of the lines matter as well (never mind that WD doesn't particularly line match). The all-skill line of Sedins/Vrbata doesn't give a forechecking presence to that line making the Sedins perform that function for Vrbata. Far from ideal.

I agree with Deniro that we need to get Vrbata going and ideally putting them with the twins temporarily will hopefully do that. But it's REALLY not a long term solution.

Also, in fairness to the guys Vrbata has been playing with, how many open nets has he shot wide on in this young season? That's him, not what line he's on.

I actually went to the practice at UBC.  I can add a few more things:

• The first power play unit now has Sutter playing the point with Edler.  Vrbata is playing on the left side near the goal line.  Sutter looked decent back there, but passed on a couple of shooting opportunities.
  • McCann and Virtanen were a penalty kill unit.  McCann actually stripped Edler a couple times when he was trying to rush the puck in
  • The Sedins rubbed it in Virtanen's face when they scored.  It was a pretty funny sight.
  • The second power play unit is Burrows-Horvat-Baertschi.  They looked quite good with great puck movement.
  • Weber looked the freshest while doing laps 
  • Markstrom does not look anywhere close to ready.  Not much movement, just working on his blocker and glove saves

I will be doing my best to attend to most of their practices at UBC throughout the season so hopefully I can add more in addition to the Twitter updates from the local reporters.

Thanks for your notes. McCann and Virtanen on the PK is interesting, especially since our PK is currently one of our strengths. We have Hansen, Burrows, Sutter, Prust, Dorsett and sometimes the twins to kill penalties. I didn't think they needed to add more to that group. The speed of McCann/Virtanen taking it back up ice could be lethal. 

I don't know about Sutter on the first unit PP. The expected offense from him is troubling, as I don't think that's his strength. His puck movement is questionable, as he had all of 4 even strength assists last year. He would be better utilized as shooting or being plucked in front of the net.

The makeup of the lines matter as well (never mind that WD doesn't particularly line match). The all-skill line of Sedins/Vrbata doesn't give a forechecking presence to that line making the Sedins perform that function for Vrbata. Far from ideal.

I agree with Deniro that we need to get Vrbata going and ideally putting them with the twins temporarily will hopefully do that. But it's REALLY not a long term solution.

Also, in fairness to the guys Vrbata has been playing with, how many open nets has he shot wide on in this young season? That's him, not what line he's on.

Again agree to disagree. Not about the fore-checking presence though.

Vrbata's play has been a lot of individual play in getting 25 shots.  A ton of which have been from way outside, odd angles & nowhere near prime real estate. He's been on a line with defensive first guys, not a puck control offensive centre. He thinks he has to do it himself?

Bo's game is a lot of counter attack. So he worked well with Hansen, Kenins, Dorsett.  All the speedsters who also fore-check as well then score on counter attack. Yes Vrbata should take a hint. Vrbata thrives away from the puck, not digging it out though. Where he gets a chance to rotate, cut to the net, slip behind a seam and is rewarded by an astute passer who has held on to the puck in the meantime. That's not Bo, who would have driven it to the corner to lock it for a face off.! Plus Bo's line has been taking top match ups in many instances. Vrbata on Bo's line is just not a good fit.

I'd rather see Baer McCann Vrbata as a 3rd line if not with the Twins.

Agree with these lines, as well. Gotta get Vrbata/twins rollin'. Although Wash is loaded, they often seem hit & miss, early season.

Be very interesting to see what's to come, if we have a full lineup, & the kids are at their 9 game-threshold. Would like to see JB pick CBJ's pocket in a deal...

Archived