The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will stay - Virtanen or McCann? (article)

The Bookie

to be honest, both have played pretty well, McCann a little better, Virtannen  had positive moments, people are slamming him, the postiive I see is that, he didn't really hurt the team in any way, but hey... JIm benning says and praises the "Detroit" model, and their model is to stick their player in juniors and develop them. 

we should do the same.  Also it be awesome to see 2 guys play for team Canada.

last time I checked, Detroit has a 19 year old in their lineup playing big minutes...

Feel like McCann needs to go back. He is far to small and needs to put on muscle. Love watching him play, but its the best decision. Wouldn't be suprised to see Virt go. Higgy will come back, Bring Gauncer up. Next year we push the young ones back in.

I think both should play 38 games. Neither should be sent back, they are both good enough to be on this team. 

39mark is the one that burns off an rfa year right? 

If needed bring up from Utica to make sure these two don't burn that extra year. 

You may have a point about McCann but it is just silly to say both should play 38 games at least on Jake's present form. Unfortunately Jake can't go to the A but keeping him here if he continues to play as he is would just be the same mistake made with Kassian by Buffalo. We should be thinking of what's best long term for our prospects. 

If Jake doesn't start becoming more effective then he needs to go to the juniors until he can spend a season in the A. Detroit style.

McCann is different, imo it is only his physical development that needs work and that may come, even while staying up in Vancouver.

However with the players we have in Utica, neither should get a free pass to 38 games.

There is no 9 game tryout for Larkin, he was an American who played University hockey, not CHL, so he could be sent to the AHL whenever DET feels like it, So there is a big difference,

and yes he is an outstanding 19 year old prospect 

Larkin played for Coach Blashill in the AHL playoffs last year and got 3 goals and 2 ast in 6  playoff games for Grand Rapids against our Utica Comets

Rookie scoring leader so far this season, Coyote's Max Domi, 10 points in 9 games and is +7

He was sent back to Junior after last season's training camp.

No players career has been destroyed by being sent back to Junior for their final season, it only happens if he is rushed into the NHL before he is ready.

I just wish they would give the young guys a few games where they get a chance to show what they can do. No one knows what they're capable of right now, but judging by usage I can't see them keeping either of them. The team will be right back where they started in 2008. I'm sick of the same crew doing the same thing. The worst part is it will be more or less the same next year.

“We’ve had players here in the past and fans have said, ‘Play him on the first line, play him on the first power play,'” said Linden. No question who he’s talking about – hint: his name rhymes with the way white people pronounce pho.

Anyone else think he wasnt talking about Bo at all? Nobody was calling for Bo on the first line last year, or the first powerplay.  I believe Linden was referencing Kassian. 

I don't think Virtanen will be here very much longer.  Though Baertchi has had less of an impact in more minutes the Canucks aren't going to expose him to waivers so soon after decaring him a top 6 guy.  Leaves one of Higgins,  Cracknell or Virtanen as the odd guy out.  

If either McCann or Virtanen is sent down, it will be a huge mistake.

These are the two guys who won the game for us against Montreal.

McCann with his scoring, and Virtanen with his physical presence.

Keep them both up... if they start to fall off, send them down before they hit 40 games.

Anyone else think he wasnt talking about Bo at all? Nobody was calling for Bo on the first line last year, or the first powerplay.  I believe Linden was referencing Kassian.

Yeah, seemed like Kass to me as well. I didn't particularly love that article or the writing, but the Linden quotes were interesting and it seemed like an inevitable debate.

I was already leaning towards McCann (and I think tonight sealed it for me, he has to stay) but Virt also had an eye-opening game for me tonight. I'm more in the camp of both now - capologists, does that work with Higgins back? We'll have to see what's up with Prust as well.

There's room for both with roster spots, but I'm unclear on the cap hit total.

Feel like McCann needs to go back. He is far to small and needs to put on muscle. Love watching him play, but its the best decision. Wouldn't be suprised to see Virt go. Higgy will come back, Bring Gauncer up. Next year we push the young ones back in.

Really? For me McCann is showing a hell of a lot more than Horvat did at the same time last year. McCann has demonstrating an elite understanding of the game like few players show (Horvat being one of them) and yet has shown far more offensive flair than Horvat could ever dream of at the same time last year. McCann has a lot two solid crossbars as well as at least a post or two with nominal minutes. Linden has said that McCann is a guy that simply "gets it" and Willie is quoted as saying that McCann has "high end skill" and he absolutely has to "find a spot in the lineup" for him. If we say Horvat last year performing the way McCann is this year and Horvat didn't make it, we'd be rioting. McCann clearly more than deserves to be here and will only continue to get better.

They both had statement games tonight against the best team in the league (so far) this year.  

McCann is now the leading goal scorer on a team that is searching for scoring.  Hard to see him get sent down.

Jake stapled some Habs to the boards.  For a team that is criticized about being too soft, Jake's play turned the tide in the game early tonight and showed how heavy the teams in the West play.

Both of them have earned another game and a good look going past the nine...

They both had their moments,but overall Larkin looks more NHL ready than McCann does..Larkin has 7 points in 8 games so far..Larkin is the real deal..IMO

imagine if JB traded down to get a mid 1st and a 1st next year and we drafted larkin/mccann AND we would have two 1sts next year. #captainhindsight 

They both had statement games tonight against the best team in the league (so far) this year.  

McCann is now the leading goal scorer on a team that is searching for scoring.  Hard to see him get sent down.

Jake stapled some Habs to the boards.  For a team that is criticized about being too soft, Jake's play turned the tide in the game early tonight and showed how heavy the teams in the West play.

Both of them have earned another game and a good look going past the nine...

Virt had as much of an impact on last nights game as McCann did, imo.  Obviously hes a physical force, but he's also a very  forechecker and once he gets that little chip off the boards play down pat, hes going to get a lot more chances.  Both stay, imo.

Archived