The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

7 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

KD had to join the greatest team ever to win a chip. The media was still calling the warriors Currys team, and labeling him the best player on the team. 

Lebron is still the best player in the world, look at the numbers he had this year. He's been the best for nearly a decade now (since 08/09 maybe?)

LBJ is still a very good player, but his time (as the best) is clearly over.  It happens to all the greats; a younger guy takes over.  I don’t think KD is as good now as LBJ was at his best.  However it’s clear LBJ’s game is trending downwards.  

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Just so we’re clear on the differences between what LeBron and Durant did:

LeBron:

- Teamed up with Wade and Bosh in Miami, who was 47-35 the year prior

- Did so to beat his demons in Boston, not join them

Durant:

- Ditched his best friend to join the best regular season team of all time after blowing a 3-1 series lead to them in the WCF

It’s really not hard to see them unless you’re a blind LeBron hater. 

LBJ is top three all time.  Durant is not even top 10.  However, 2018 LBJ is no where near the player he was three seasons ago.  It’s KD’s time at the top.  I doubt he’s there long though.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LBJ is top three all time.  Durant is not even top 10.  However, 2018 LBJ is no where near the player he was three seasons ago.  It’s KD’s time at the top.  I doubt he’s there long though.  

Did you not see LeBron single handedly will his team to the Finals and nearly beat the Warriors by himself in game 1?

• Upvote 3

Did you not see LeBron single handedly will his team to the Finals and nearly beat the Warriors by himself in game 1?

East is very weak.  I don’t think LBJ comes to the west, because he knows the path to the Ginal is easy in the east.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LBJ is still a very good player, but his time (as the best) is clearly over.  It happens to all the greats; a younger guy takes over.  I don’t think KD is as good now as LBJ was at his best.  However it’s clear LBJ’s game is trending downwards.  

Wow... This couldn't be further from the truth.

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Yep, not to mention he broke his hand pretty bad at the end of game 1 or else he'd have dominated the series. But nope, he's slowing down right? Unbelievable.

Just now, Alflives said:

East is very weak.  I don’t think LBJ comes to the west, because he knows the path to the Ginal is easy in the east.  

Another myth, the east isn’t weak. Before the playoffs started the headlines were, “is this the raptors year?” “Philly is for real” “Brad Stevens is unstoppable”. 

Just cause Lebron beats them doesn’t mean their bad. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Yep, not to mention he broke his hand pretty bad at the end of game 1 or else he'd have dominated the series. But nope, he's slowing down right? Unbelievable.

Like not even Jordan would’ve been able to beat a team of the Warriors calibre. The fact LeBron was able to drop 50+ on them in the first game should give him goat status by itself. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Wow... This couldn't be further from the truth.

Wilt

MJ

LBJ

Top three.

KD is not in my top ten.  

Ive enjoyed watching the past greatness of many players, including LBJ.  There is a time when they all decline.  

Like not even Jordan would’ve been able to beat a team of the Warriors calibre. The fact LeBron was able to drop 50+ on them in the first game should give him goat status by itself. 

Agreed, it took assembling the best team in the history of the NBA to stop LeBron. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wilt

MJ

LBJ

Top three.

KD is not in my top ten.  

Ive enjoyed watching the past greatness of many players, including LBJ.  There is a time when they all decline.  

Not going to get in an argument but I couldn't disagree more with the bolded.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

Not going to get in an argument but I couldn't disagree more with the bolded.

I totally agree each fan’s list of the best will vary.  However I think every athlete’s skills decline.  Some do manage to play for longer than others, but they’re not the players they were when younger.  I think LBJ was great until 30.  He was able to adapt his game to compensate for his natural decline.  Now, he’s struggling more and more to adapt.  

He is still very good., just not as good as before.

Just now, Alflives said:

I totally agree each fan’s list of the best will vary.  However I think every athlete’s skills decline.  Some do manage to play for longer than others, but they’re not the players they were when younger.  I think LBJ was great until 30.  He was able to adapt his game to compensate for his natural decline.  Now, he’s struggling more and more to adapt.  

He is still very good., just not as good as before.

Great until 30? He's playing the best basketball of his career and just played a FULL 82 games carrying dudes so high they dont know the score. He won his hometown their very first championship against the best team in NBA history while being the first team to come back from a 3-1. What more does he need to do? Damn. I'm not even a LeBron fan and I can see it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Great until 30? He's playing the best basketball of his career and just played a FULL 82 games carrying dudes so high they dont know the score. He won his hometown their very first championship against the best team in NBA history while being the first team to come back from a 3-1. What more does he need to do? Damn. I'm not even a LeBron fan and I can see it.

LBJ won that title at 30.  Now he’s not that player.  I am a big LBJ fan.  He’s top three all time on my list.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

LBJ won that title at 30.  Now he’s not that player.  I am a big LBJ fan.  He’s top three all time on my list.  

He was 31 actually and yes he's still that player, if not better

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LeBron James 2017-18 season stats:

Games started: 82

Points per game: 27.5 (his 5th highest season total)

Assists per game: 9.1 (His best season total)

Rebounds per game: 8.6 (His highest season total)

3 points made per game: 1.8 (His highest season total)

So no, he is not slowing down by any means. 

• Upvote 2

The greatest team of all time was assembled with the objective of winning titles, or in other words beating Lebron because that’s who they knew they’d be playing in the finals every year. He’s so good Durant had to go to GS to have a real chance of beating him. That’s what it took to beat Lebron after an already outstanding team (prior to KD) couldn’t do it. 

You can say the “super team” phase started with Lebron in Miami but I’d argue that it really began in earnest when people realized that’s what it would take to beat him. 

• Upvote 2

I don't know why people think Jordan was so much better than LeBron. I can't see Jordan winning any of the Finals that LBJ lost (maybe the one against Dallas), but I'm not even sure Jordan could make it to the Finals like LeBron. LeBron and Jordan aren't the same types of players either, so it's like comparing apples to carrots.

• Upvote 2