The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are your untouchables in the organization?

We continually talk about selling at the deadline this year which got me thinking...Who do I absolutely want to see stay a Canuck post deadline?

The only untouchables in the organization for me are Sedins, Burrows, Sutter, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Tanev. 

Sedins and Burrows stay because I want them to be Canucks for life from their very first to last game. Something about renting them out and trying to re-sign them later on cheapens their career as a Canuck for me. Sutter stays to help the transition to youth as he takes on the tougher match-ups during the transition.

I also wanted to list the following prospects as untouchables but would only trade Baerstchi, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Boeser, Cassels, Demko if it would be to obtain a young stud d-man (Ranges potential #1D-#4D depending on who is traded)

Everyone else on this team is open season. Obviously I don't mean trade everyone else. I mean listen to offers and make trades if it improves the club.

Just wondering what others thought regarding players deemed as keepers on this team?

You'd trade Demko? LOL he's had 6 shutouts in his last 7 games.

But yeah for me I'd keep the Sedins, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Hutton, Tanev, Edler, Markstrom, and Demko. I'd LIKE to keep Burrows but if there was a good offer then yeah.

Apart from them I'd say a lot of our team would be free game for offers and trades.

As much as I like Demko, If it was for a future #1D Franchise D-man, yes I would.

Teams have won the cup with aove average goaltending btu have always had a franchise #1 D-man.

So for instance, I would trade Demko for Seth Jones in a heart beat and ride Markstrom to the cup.

As much as I like Demko, If it was for a future #1D Franchise D-man, yes I would.

Teams have won the cup with aove average goaltending btu have always had a franchise #1 D-man.

So for instance, I would trade Demko for Seth Jones in a heart beat and ride Markstrom to the cup.

Nashville hangs up the phone pretty darn quick.

Like a previous poster said, I don't think Nashville does this deal. Even if they accepted a different package that included Dem ko, I wouldn't do it. Demko looks to be developing into an elite goaltender. With an elite goaltender, maybe you don't need an elite #1d. Maybe a number of #2D and #3D would suffice with that kind of goaltending..

jake ,jared,Boeser,Gaunce,Hutton.Sutter, either Demko or an Markstrom.

untouchables otherwise i would just blow up the team I do not really care if they are stuck with Sedins an Burrows ,the D needs to be totally retooled some how? time to draft or trade for draft pick to grab an elite D man now this year.

The product is very stale an boring on ice it needs to be infused some more, but no one really wants to pay for our spare parts.

No one is untouchable, if the price is right.

Tell me you wouldn't trade Horvat and Virtanen for a player like Ekblad or MacKinnon.

i wouldnt trade Virtanen,  hes gonna be a better all round player than mackinnon. plus horvat has potential to be a bergeron which is hard to find. 

They can keep Jones. I rather have Aaron Ekblad. 

But yeah for me I'd keep the Sedins, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Hutton, Tanev, Edler, Markstrom, and Demko. I'd LIKE to keep Burrows but if there was a good offer then yeah.

Apart from them I'd say a lot of our team would be free game for offers and trades.

People seem to be missing CanucksJay's point.

Demko isn't untouchable if the price is right. 

He made an example in which he'd give up Demko for Jones.  The question whether Nashville would make the trade doesn't affect the point that it means Demko isn't untouchable.  If the return is sufficient, no player is untouchable.

I'll make another absurd example.  Would you give up Horvat?  Is he untouchable?

What if you were offered Ekblad or Eichel or McDavid, even up for Horvat?   I'm not asking if Florida or Buffalo or Edmonton would make those offers.  I'm asking if you'd take any one or more of those offers if  made.  If so, then Horvat isn't untouchable-there are offers that if made would be accepted.

Perhaps the problem is the word "untouchable."  There can and are players that a team values so highly that a team seeking to trade for them would have to overpay.

We are at least 5-6 years from competing for the cup..maybe. Demko would be right in his prime years, he looks like a stud. You are not going to get a Jones for him without adding good pieces and that put more holes in the org. Other teams are not going to trade top young d-men for nothing. We have a future number 1 stud in Hutton just develop him instead of trading away multiple assets for someone else.

Jake, Bo, and Jared go nowhere.

Sedins, Tanev, and Demko are probably very hard to move and you want to keep around.

Prospects, picks, and younger guys you hold on to unless a smart move comes around.

Everyone else is fair game.

The Sedins are the only untouchables and that is because we will want them to end their playing days here. Not on the top line though.

All the others (I'm assuming we are not talking about rookies who have just joined the system) have a price with JB imo and if the price is right then they are off.

Hardest roster players to move for me would be Jared, Hutton, Jake, Bo, Edler - Tanev.

I also wouldn't want to move the Twins (of course for their skill and veteran leadership and also for the sheltering they provide for the kids, but for the right mix of roster guys, prospects and picks I'd move them) and Burr/ Higgins (both guys play with heart and are lead-by-example types, while also providing the grit the team needs, but same as the Twins I'd move them for the right return).  It'll also suck when Hamhuis leaves, either in trade or as UFA (hopefully the former) but I'd move him before his star becomes too dim.  

Archived