The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How To Increase Scoring???

Nuxfanabroad

I think one way to solve this is making the crease bigger. It makes the slot smaller which you think would just push guys toward the perimeter more, but I think it would spread guys out evenly, it would make the perimeter smaller and harder to hide the puck along the boards. I also think making the neutral zone zone slightly bigger would push the defenders closer to the net from the point, involving them with the play more.

yup.  I see those changes helping too.  I'm for any change that opens the game, so there is no longer the piling.

How about they stop changing the rules and therefore the integrity of the game. 3 on 3 is a joke, the shootout is a joke, the trapezoid is idiotic, the only thing they got right was removing the 2 line pass...

OH I got an idea, let's eliminate being able to ice the puck on power plays and take away offsides Completely and promote cherry picking. Hell let's just take 5 on 5 out of the picture all together. 4 on 4 all the time, ah hell why not just 3 on 3 all the time....

European players are going to stop wanting to come over to play here in North America because before you know it they will practically be two whole different sports.  

I think one way to solve this is making the crease bigger. It makes the slot smaller which you think would just push guys toward the perimeter more, but I think it would spread guys out evenly, it would make the perimeter smaller and harder to hide the puck along the boards. I also think making the neutral zone zone slightly bigger would push the defenders closer to the net from the point, involving them with the play more.

By making the neutral zone bigger, and the defensive zones smaller as a result, I think you'll just crowd the offensive zone more and actually reduce offense. 

Easy peasy !

Step 1 : No shoot outs, no ties,  4v4 continuous OT

Step 2 : One ref on ice + linesmen. 2  officials in booth with instant access to replays on incidents and can pass on vital info to ref on ice about a questionable play. Ref can watch replays if he wants to make final decision

Step 3 : By bye red lines. If refs are calling icing on their own discretion then why do we need them ?

Step 4 : I know this will make some scratch their heads but no more instigator rule. Let he scum get policed on the ice for their BS. Will open up the game for the elite players to work their magic.  To many scrubs taking out superstars, it is killing lineups and their ability to score.

Why do they want to increase scoring so bad? This is what hockey is.  If you want scoring every minute watch basketball.  I honestly don't find 7-5 games exciting at all.  2-1, 3-2 games where there are chances back and fourth and goalies making big saves are way more intense and exciting games.

Where do they draw the line then.  They want double digit goals in games?

Reduce the amount of teams to 20, halve the game schedule to 40 so each match actually has your playoff stakes on the line.

Instantly talent pool is less diluted and every player puts 100% effort into every match. 

But that's just one way of doing things.

Talent pool would be much higher...so would the ticket prices, which would double.

The issues with today's game vs the 80s is that players are in way better shape, the coaching is much more defense-oriented than it used to be, and there's access to all this video.

We all know the most effective way to stop players is by limiting their time and space (or put them flat on their keesters), and this isn't going to change no matter how big you make the nets, or how small you make the equipment.

High-scoring games are just as frustrating, because you look at your team, and you wonder if your goalie could even stop a beachball (cue Dan Cloutier pics).  And seriously, basketball has lots of scoring and it sucks, because it's more surprising when they miss.  Lacrosse has tons of goals, but isn't more exciting.

At the same time, we saw the Canadian team in Sochi put on a defensive clinic, despite a larger ice surface, and I could not have been happier.

So viable options for improving the quality of the game (note that I am not necessarily mentioning increased scoring):
- Take out the TV time-out, and limit times in stoppages - speeds up the pace of the game
- Full 2-minute power play, regardless if you get scored on - might have a guy reconsider taking the penalty to prevent a scoring chance, when it could legitimately mean 2-3 goals against instead
- Free entry into the offensive zone - cherry-picking will allow for more free-wheeling, more high-risk passes, more breakaways.  The blue line just slows things down, and kills the pace of a good game, will also reduce the number of on-ice officials, as linesmen would no longer be needed.  Could probably stand to have them as stand-by officials if a brawl breaks out, or the refs need to consult on something they didn't fully see
- Take out the no-fly zone - a good puck-handling goalie can generate a good rush the other way, and prevent dump-ins (one of the worst strategies for offense)
- No-touch icing - this works well with the no line change rule and the reduced time in stoppages, as the icing team will be more fatigued

For starters get rid of shot blocking.  Its ok to skate towards a shooter but any time a skater flops like a goalie to stop a puck it should be a penalty.  Remember when torts was coaching the Rangers and they would have 3 or 4 skaters flopping around to block shots?  It was brutal, ugly, and unwatchable hockey.  I don't think goalies should be able to play pucks anymore and they should only be allowed to freeze the puck when the opposing team has all 5 skaters in the offensive zone.  So sick of seeing goalies freezing the puck and stopping the play when they could very easily let the D man play it.

Why do they want to increase scoring so bad? This is what hockey is.  If you want scoring every minute watch basketball.  I honestly don't find 7-5 games exciting at all.  2-1, 3-2 games where there are chances back and fourth and goalies making big saves are way more intense and exciting games.

Where do they draw the line then.  They want double digit goals in games?

to me it is not about "increasing scoring" so much as decreasing "ugly hockey".

so I propose 3 rule changes that rid the game of ugly defense.

1 Ban the glove hand pass.

already banned is the closing hand on puck, covering puck in crease, winning face off with hand (recent) and offensive glove pass.

so what is the value of defensive zone glove pass, if not to decrease scoring?

2 ban sliding with no skates on ice

3 stop penalizing stick slashing. (slash the player get a penalty, fine) far too many penalties are called by mild stick slashes that end in a broken stick.  Buy Lumber!

Archived