The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our philosphy vs theirs?

Sherthng

Without turning this into a throw willie under the bus thread, I kind of like their philosphy better. what do you guys prefer for shinkaruk?  show us what you got 2ND line minutes , or earn it and we will move you up from the 4th line in time minutes. Also of note, we could of had nick ritchie with the 6th pick as our power forward and will be interested to see his progression.

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Forward Nick Ritchie, the No. 10 pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, will make his debut Monday for theAnaheim Ducks when they visit the Carolina Hurricanes.

Ritchie had nine goals in 12 games for San Diego of the American Hockey League at the time of his recall. He will skate on a line with Ryan Kesler and Chris Stewart.

"He's a big guy, we want to see what he can do," Anaheim coach Bruce Boudreau said. "If you bring up your prize rookie from the minors, you don't want to play him six minutes. You want to see if he can play."

Without turning this into a throw willie under the bus thread, I kind of like their philosphy better. what do you guys prefer for shinkaruk?  show us what you got 2ND line minutes , or earn it and we will move you up from the 4th line in time minutes. Also of note, we could of had nick ritchie with the 6th pick as our power forward and will be interested to see his progression.

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Forward Nick Ritchie, the No. 10 pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, will make his debut Monday for theAnaheim Ducks when they visit the Carolina Hurricanes.

Ritchie had nine goals in 12 games for San Diego of the American Hockey League at the time of his recall. He will skate on a line with Ryan Kesler and Chris Stewart.

"He's a big guy, we want to see what he can do," Anaheim coach Bruce Boudreau said. "If you bring up your prize rookie from the minors, you don't want to play him six minutes. You want to see if he can play."

The difference being that the Ducks actually have expectations of being SC favourites so they need all the help they can get. Very few people expect the Canucks to do anything noteworthy this yearso they can stay the course regardless of record. And really, do you think we should adopt Anaheim's method? They are a desperate team making desperate moves. Not exactly the team you wanna model yourself after.

as much as he's a skilled goal scorer, his tenacity and speed make him an intriguing candidate to become a brendan gallagher-esque player. I'm curious to see how his strength is compared to NHLers, but he is growing into a light but fast gritty winger with a knack for greasy goals in the paint as well as the skill to snipe.

in short, he's more likely to make the nucks in a bottom six role OR a top six role than jensen, despite the large size and age difference.

Really, I see him as a gallagher type player too. put him on the 2nd, 3rd line tonight let him play with our future centres. 5-9 minutes playing with cracknell and dorsett isn't enough. let the kid skate see if he can play! maybe he lights it up?

Virtanen --> start on 4th make him earn a higher spot

Shinkaruk --> start on 2nd, tell him he has to earn to stay on or else hes back on the bench / sent down.

why?
Virtanen is a hitting machine and has intangibles that can be of use without the scoring. Shinkaruk is dynamic offensive-style player, if he is not scoring then he's useless.

Overall each player have different paths and are expected of different things.

They don't want him to succeed just yet. He is filling in for Burrows. If he gets a hat trick then they are forced to make another roster decision. Matter of fact if he even scores a goal CDC will go crazy. expect him to maybe get 8 mins ice time.

We did exactly the same thing to Virtanen though. He was skating on our 2nd line for almost half of his first 9 game stint. WD can't really give him much better quality ice time than that short of playing him with the Sedins.

At times, I think WD has messed up the rookie's transition into the NHL, but I thought playing a skilled McCann on the 4th line with Dorsett and Prust would be a nightmare. Turns out McCann is such a good player and complemented so well by the vets that they were our best line before Prust was injured.

Still, I think Baertschi is being used incorrectly - he needs a veteran scorer with him and I don't think we have the sort of sniper who can make him look good enough.

Gaunce was played really well in our bottom-6 and made an instant impact.

Shinkaruk on the other-hand hasn't been. We've only really got one spot in our top-6 for a rookie and Shinkaruk isn't getting it.

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We did exactly the same thing to Virtanen though. He was skating on our 2nd line for almost half of his first 9 game stint. WD can't really give him much better quality ice time than that short of playing him with the Sedins.

At times, I think WD has messed up the rookie's transition into the NHL, but I thought playing a skilled McCann on the 4th line with Dorsett and Prust would be a nightmare. Turns out McCann is such a good player and complemented so well by the vets that they were our best line before Prust was injured.

Still, I think Baertschi is being used incorrectly - he needs a veteran scorer with him and I don't think we have the sort of sniper who can make him look good enough.

Gaunce was played really well in our bottom-6 and made an instant impact.

Shinkaruk on the other-hand hasn't been. We've only really got one spot in our top-6 for a rookie and Shinkaruk isn't getting it.

A total of what 9 minutes of ice time at the NHL level? He was probably petrified of making a mistake.

Archived