The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 3, Wild 2

TheRussianRocket.

WD looked good in the 3rd, Horvat's game is coming around(he was really bugging Dumba) Virt got noticed right away and I think threw them off their game (old Burr style?) McCann was a threat every shift. The Sedin's Solid. I like Cracknell in for Baers. If Baers has to play take out one of the kids because Cracknell is tough (see when he skated the puck through all 4 Wild players to get time for the line change (fearless). Miller was solid and held us in. 

Vrbata is a keeper (trade Burr and Higgins keep Vrbata) Do we like him now? Well hell'ya!

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

It was a good game and fun to watch as always.

Maybe 2011 made me change my view on the Canucks and hockey, but I'm starting to really enjoy it more for the entertainment value instead of investing in wins. Win or lose, I like watching the Sedins and the young guys who will shape the team in the years to come play everyday. Im enjoying every minute of it.

I hate Minnesota so it was a sweet win.

Same thing for me. It was hard to get over that empty feeling after game 7 lass but once I got over it, I was able to just enjoy the games and not get too angry/stressed when we lose or play bad and I was able to just appreciate the good plays from the Sedins and the other players.

However, I still do not enjoy watching that defence making that perfect pass to the opposition in the defensive zone, you know the one where they make the pass right down the middle, which usually ends up at the back of the net?

Miller shows why he is still an elite goaltender.  This guy is so technically precise in all the plays he makes, his experience really shows.  He is getting older and WD does need to make sure Miller is not overplayed, but if Markstrom can come in every 3rd or 4th game to relieve Miller, then the team is going to be in good shape.

What a relief to see Vrbata get his timing back... this guy has been misfiring for so long...  I had a feeling that after his goal against NJ, he would start his recovery.

McCann showed exactly why he is going to be a #1 center in the future, great setup for Vrbata and he could have had a couple goals himself.

The bad news...  The defense continues to bumble... especially under pressure with unforced giveaways and stupid penalties continuing.  What the h*ll was Edler thinking with that last minute hook???  And Weber continues to make me wonder why he is still in the lineup.  Almost every time he handles the puck I hold my breath... he is not even any good in the offensive zone, which was supposed to be his strongpoint.  I would prefer to see Biega or someone else given a chance.

Completely expected a defensive meltdown and the boys proved me wrong. Even Webber was decent tonight.

Miller kept the team alive for the first 20 and was my first star. Happy for Vrby's trade value too. All around a good road win and a few more like this will serve to heighten my expectations way out of proportion--yet again. Nice gift the day before my Bday but unfortunately the dishwasher quit so I guess it's a draw. 

Vrbata who finishes is a keeper...Vrbata who can't finish and hides out when the going gets tough can play elsewhere.  It's a full moon tonight.  Hopefully we don't have to wait until the next full moon for Vrbata to produce like he did tonight.  But that rant aside, he finally looked the Vrbata of 2014-15 regular season...great game for him and the Canucks.

Too bad Sven couldn't get in to play against the other Bertschy...any one know if Baertschi/Bertschy are related in any sort of way?  

Anyone notice how short the Minny bench is?  Crazy how much ice time the top two lines get.

Finally,some chemistry on the 2nd/3rd lines...especially Vrbata/McCann/Higgins..It was good to see Jared bounce back with a strong performance after one of his worst against NJD.

Horvat looks like he's hitting his stride again

Hansen is having one of his best seasons as a Canuck..IMO..I haven't seen him with this much tenacity in his game since AV was the coach (hard to believe that there were posters here that thought he was washed up).

Miller was the zone (he probably read his ratings from TSN)

Good solid road win.

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

WD looked good in the 3rd, Horvat's game is coming around(he was really bugging Dumba) Virt got noticed right away and I think threw them off their game (old Burr style?) McCann was a threat every shift. The Sedin's Solid. I like Cracknell in for Baers. If Baers has to play take out one of the kids because Cracknell is tough (see when he skated the puck through all 4 Wild players to get time for the line change (fearless). Miller was solid and held us in. 

Vrbata is a keeper (trade Burr and Higgins keep Vrbata) Do we like him now? Well hell'ya!

Tonights line up:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Horvat Virtanen

Higgins McCann Vrbata

Prust Cracknell Dorsett

For the time being, the forward lines are looking good.  I don't think that Willie wants more than one rookie on any line at a time.  Baertschi should for this purpose be treated as a rookie.  Since Sutter is out, McCann must play.  That leaves Virtanen and Baertschi alternating games.  Willie hasn't to this point in this season sat a rookie more than one game in a row.  Is this what we're going to be seeing?  Virtanen is certainly making a physical impact on the game even if he isn't scoring.

In the meantime, Horvat must soldier on playing against competition that is very tough for him.  He has his moments but his production is poor.

Vrbata played 15:10 and scored 2 goals playing with McCann (13:04).  Does anybody think he cares if he's on the 3rd line?

37 minutes ago, *16* said:

to think people thought he drifted away after the duncan keith hit to the head! go daniel!

cory40 replied to Squamfan's topic in Canucks Talk

Or they have a defensive core that score a few goals. Sedins decline has been more about the lack of defensive scoring than how they have played.(losing Salo and Erhoff) Example Crosby and Malkin when...

It was nice for McCann to showcase another facet to his game.  Yes the pass wasn't highlight reel worthy, but it showed that he's not just a shooter and it required a high level of skill on his backhand to ellude two guys reaching for it. He was also feisty without the puck going after pucks hard. Love the way he plays the game and you cant help but be excited for the future when he's fully filled out. Kid is a player!

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

It was a good game and fun to watch as always.

Maybe 2011 made me change my view on the Canucks and hockey, but I'm starting to really enjoy it more for the entertainment value instead of investing in wins. Win or lose, I like watching the Sedins and the young guys who will shape the team in the years to come play everyday. Im enjoying every minute of it.

I hate Minnesota so it was a sweet win.

Been thinking the same all year.  It used to be stressful watching the team: because we kind of expected/hoped they'd win.  Now it's more like baseball lol: I can just enjoy the beauty of the game, the classy inter-play of some good character players and the development of the younger players. My wife thinks the 2011 "failure" was a turning point for her, as well. btw.

1 minute ago, Robongo said:

It was nice for McCann to showcase another facet to his game.  Yes the pass wasn't highlight reel worthy, but it showed that he's not just a shooter and it required a high level of skill on his backhand to ellude two guys reaching for it. He was also feisty without the puck going after pucks hard. Love the way he plays the game and you cant help but be excited for the future when he's fully filled out. Kid is a player!

It's true! The kid thinks the game at a high level for sure and although he has a great shot, he knows when to utilize it and when to make a smart passing play. Love his game! Dude is a point away from Ehlers despite playing two games less and averaging 3 minutes less per game. Also just two points away from the almighty Eichel averaging a little more than 8 minutes less per game! Good signs for sure!

10 minutes ago, suitup said:

It's true! The kid thinks the game at a high level for sure and although he has a great shot, he knows when to utilize it and when to make a smart passing play. Love his game! Dude is a point away from Ehlers despite playing two games less and averaging 3 minutes less per game. Also just two points away from the almighty Eichel averaging a little more than 8 minutes less per game! Good signs for sure!

Yea, points aside Jared is proving that he is a very quick learner and rarely makes the same mistake twice. He was rated as a top 5 player in terms of his hockey IQ and it definitely shows why. Countless top picks are routinely sheltered in their first few years because of the potential of overwhelming the player but aside from his faceoffs, Jared is showing that he can handle it. What he's doing at 19 years old playing at C in the NHL is nothing short of remarkable, even before you take into account his physical stature. Jim Benning is really making Mike Gillis' constant excuses of having a weak prospect pool because of consistently having to pick in the later rounds look rightfully ridiculous. As proactive as Gillis was in a lot of areas, he was unwilling to concede that perhaps he had to be better in certain areas. He certainly tried in the 2013 draft to correct these things, but at that point it was a little bit too late and ownership needed a scapegoat for the Torts hiring

1 minute ago, Robongo said:

Yea, points aside even Jared is proving that he is a very quick learner and rarely makes the same mistake twice.  Countless top picks are routinely sheltered in their first few years because of the potential of overwhelming the player but aside from his faceoffs, Jared is showing that he can handle it. What he's doing at 19 years old playing at C in the NHL is nothing short of remarkable, even before you take into account his physical stature. Jim Benning is really making Mike Gillis' constant excuses of having a weak prospect pool because of consistently having to pick in the later rounds. As proactive as Gillis was in a lot of areas, he was unwilling to concede that perhaps he had to be better in certain areas. He certainly tried in the 2013 draft to correct these things, but at the point it was too late.

So true, his faceoffs are really bad, but so was Bo, Henrik, Kesler, and even Monahan I think in his rookie season. I was definitely a Gillis fan as he's done so much good for our team, and you're right he definitely did mess up and getting good prospects was one of them. Talked about the Detroit model and forgot about their late drafting prowess. I'm glad Benning is replenishing it now, obviously not too happy about losing Forsling but hey, we started out with a 5th round pick... 

We lose any game, your looking at an immediate 9 page PGT. 

We beat the best home team in the league on the road, we are barely squeezing out 4 pages.

something tells me there are a lot of people on CDC who overreact to losses.  

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

We lose any game, your looking at an immediate 9 page PGT. 

We beat the best home team in the league on the road, we are barely squeezing out 4 pages.

something tells me there are a lot of people on CDC who overreact to losses.  

Or that there's less to rant about after a win! Going to bed happy :) 

Archived