The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamhuis and his place on this team

PhillipBlunt

Hamhuis...Is he a veteran to transition with or trade bait?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some people love to hate on players and cheer when they're gone but the goal is to make the team better, right? 

IMO the D isn't better. Also IMO I think management is satisfied with the D. Both of those things scare me. 

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Weber, Hutton were here before new management.
+ Sbisa, Bartowski have been added.
- Garrison, Bieksa were traded. 

I won't cry if Hamhuis is traded. But I will worry. 

5 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

We need to start investing in the future.

Guys like Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows hold emotional ties to this team that will always tug at our heart strings, but the fact remains that they aren't spring chickens anymore and we don't need depth vets for a playoff run in the near future. If we can get value for them now we should.

Because we don't want to be in the position where our potential future leadership core in Horvat, Virt, Hutton etc don't have the secondary scoring they need to make this team a viable Cup threat in the coming years.

checks thread title...

4 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Some people love to hate on players and cheer when they're gone but the goal is to make the team better, right? 

IMO the D isn't better. Also IMO I think management is satisfied with the D. Both of those things scare me. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again, we're going through a transition period.

I think during this transition peiod, it's alright to be temporarily satisfied with how things are going. Is it the "end all?" Of course not, but, for now, it's what we have and if there's nothing reasonable out there at the moment for trading then there's nothing reasonable out there for trading. (and Hamonic would not be a reasonable trade if too much is being asked for him)

Benning made a move in the off-season to make our defense more mobile during the transition. I think he's allowed to be satisfied with that at least. ;)

4 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

It all depends what the return is?

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I like hammer.  but hes not the Sedin's.  If he wants a cap hit around 5.4M a year he will be let go and not resigned.  Remember it was Gillis who signed those contracts to the Sedins.  Benning owes Hammer beyond giving him a chance to possibly resign.  I could see Hammer resigning in the 3's or early 4's.  I would think he would take a pay cut to stay so he might resign in the 3's.  I think hammer at 3.5M would be a steal.  

The $5.4M is pure speculation on my part, based on % of what it would be of the total cap.  And if that is what is being asked, I can see JB taking a pass.

My best guesstimate is that IF Hammer re-signs with the Canucks, it will be an extension of what he is currently getting...I can see 3 years at $4.5M AAV.  I would say that Hammer's comparable are Willie Mitchell and Francois Beauchemin who are making similar kind of dollars and are older than Hammer.  

I think what we are seeing is a short-term (12 months or so) fall off in Hammer's play.  I'm going to bet that Hammer is going to get better (much better) once he finds his way out of this rut he's been in since his groin injury last season.  

Normally you trade from a position of strength. Does our defence depth look like a strength to anyone? Hammer has not been bad this year, despite popular belief. And is still one of our top 3 players on the backend. He lacks offensive flair but really outside of Hutton and Edler no one brings offence, and I'd even argue defensively he is our best, if not, our second best d-man in his own zone.

Take out Hammer and we instantly go to a level of super garb. Which I think is what people want. For us to tank. So they make up stuff about how he is "bad" or "too slow". If he is bad how are we suppose to net a 1st for him? 

9 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

The $5.4M is pure speculation on my part, based on % of what it would be of the total cap.  And if that is what is being asked, I can see JB taking a pass.

My best guesstimate is that IF Hammer re-signs with the Canucks, it will be an extension of what he is currently getting...I can see 3 years at $4.5M AAV.  I would say that Hammer's comparable are Willie Mitchell and Francois Beauchemin who are making similar kind of dollars and are older than Hammer.  

I think what we are seeing is a short-term (12 months or so) fall off in Hammer's play.  I'm going to bet that Hammer is going to get better (much better) once he finds his way out of this rut he's been in since his groin injury last season.  

I'm not so sure about that. I actually think he'd be willing to take a discount if his play doesn't improve.

However, I do hope you're right that this is just a temporary lull in his play and that he gets back to form at the end of the season. It would be a pleasant surprise. :)

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I'm not so sure about that. I actually think he'd be willing to take a discount if his play doesn't improve.

However, I do hope you're right that this is just a temporary lull in his play and that he gets back to form at the end of the season. It would be a pleasant surprise. :)

I would think, if he has not extended by the deadline, he's moved.  Where is up to him - if at all.  The return is a big question too.  Is he worth even a second now?  

It definitely depends on our position in the standings by the trade deadline. If we're solidly in a playoff position, we keep him. If we're at even or looking as though missing the playoffs is an option, I think that Benning trades him.

I believe regardless of what happens, Hammer will sign with us again next year anyways. If it was my choice, I would trade him and let him know that there is a contract waiting for him when the season ends.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

It definitely depends on our position in the standings by the trade deadline. If we're solidly in a playoff position, we keep him. If we're at even or looking as though missing the playoffs is an option, I think that Benning trades him.

I believe regardless of what happens, Hammer will sign with us again next year anyways. If it was my choice, I would trade him and let him know that there is a contract waiting for him when the season ends.

He's our boomerang.  Interesting.  

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but we've seen d-men have a resurgence in their careers after a season or two of being in the dumps...top of mind -- Larry Murphy...Willie Mitchell to some extent...Brad McCrimmon...Chris Chelios...Zdeno Chara (this year).  Maybe Hammer is due (hopefully).  One thing for sure, there's a lot of Canucks and Hammer fans that are pulling for him to return to form.

if you ask me.  It seems like all Canucks vets are really coming into this week strong.  Since the Sedin resurgency vs CHI all the vets seem to be super determined and poised.  They kinda are showing glimpses of their older selves. I've seen some good stuff from hammer too.  It's reassuring for sure.  If they have that hunger again we have a shot in a playoff run.  That top line should stay together for the rest of the season imo.  Love the Sedin's on the 2nd OT unit too.  

8 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but we've seen d-men have a resurgence in their careers after a season or two of being in the dumps...top of mind -- Larry Murphy...Willie Mitchell to some extent...Brad McCrimmon...Chris Chelios...Zdeno Chara (this year).  Maybe Hammer is due (hopefully).  One thing for sure, there's a lot of Canucks and Hammer fans that are pulling for him to return to form.

Even though I think it's time to move on, Hamhuis is still a good D-man. He just needs what Mitchell did - a younger, faster, offensive, free-wheeling D-man to pair with. Then he can just hand over the puck, and focus on covering for his partner, rather than having to drive play himself.

Mitchell played some of the best hockey of his career paired with Doughty. And Hamhuis was outstanding at the WC's paired with Burns. But we don't have that kind of player, so he's been dragged down by fringe NHL-ers like Weber and Bartkowski. The closest we have is Tanev, and Hammer and him actually played very well together before. But Edler is so dependent on CT now that their pairing is a must.

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Even though I think it's time to move on, Hamhuis is still a good D-man. He just needs what Mitchell did - a younger, faster, offensive, free-wheeling D-man to pair with. Then he can just hand over the puck, and focus on covering for his partner, rather than having to drive play himself.

Mitchell played some of the best hockey of his career paired with Doughty. And Hamhuis was outstanding at the WC's paired with Burns. But we don't have that kind of player, so he's been dragged down by fringe NHL-ers like Weber and Bartkowski. The closest we have is Tanev, and Hammer and him actually played very well together before. But Edler is so dependent on CT now that their pairing is a must.

Anyone know how Hammer is on the right side? Maybe try him with Hutton when he comes back?

Archived