[GDT] Dallas Stars (1) @ Vancouver Canucks (10), 7pm Pacific

Mathew Barzal

26 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Pretty much this.

The problem is, there are three types of forwards on this team

1.Young and unproductive

2.Old, slow and unproductive

3.Sedins and Hansen

Seriously, you replace the other 9 forwards with AHLers and not be any worse. The AHL defensemen actually look more dialed in than Hammer right now. My guess is Hamhuis' time is coming to an end in the league, at least as a top pairing guy. He can't handle the heavy minutes game after game any more. Too much tread taken off the tire.

Compare Hamhuis now to what he was in 2011 and it's not even close, he's like half the player he once was.

Too true. This team needs to purge the useless players now. 

And that would consist of almost everyone 28 and over outside of Henrik, Daniel, and Hansen.

Waiting until the end of the season is pointless. 

56 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Too true. This team needs to purge the useless players now. 

And that would consist of almost everyone 28 and over outside of Henrik, Daniel, and Hansen.

Waiting until the end of the season is pointless. 

I don't think hammers been the same since he had that injury in the stanley cup finals.  I wonder if hes "fragile" mentally from that injury.  He hasn't really hit like that playoff run since.  He still plays smart and takes the puck fo players stick but hes struggling without another quality d man to play with.  Hammer would play better if he had an equal anchor d man to play with.  Similar to Edler with Tanev .  He needs a good quality d man who can make up his faullies.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hockey is a sport, yes.  It's also an entertainment, and fighting excites the fans.  It's part of the entertainment package.  

well if that is how you think we should build an entertaining product maybe we should spend less on skill and more on prettier ICE GIRLZ

11 hours ago, khay said:

Yep, that's what I meant by no structure. I guess I should have said no team defence.

The effort is there but the team had like 20 shots tonight. No structure in offence. No structure in offence. No structure whatsoever. 

Is it the injuries? Or is it coaching? I'm beginning to think that there is a problem with coaching. Is Bo Horvat all of a sudden become a so-so player this season? 

I have been wondering lately when was the last time the Canucks played consecutive games, or even periods with the same lines?

Sure injuries happen and players slot in and out but the only line that plays consistently is the Sedin/Hansen and that is the only line not put in the blender every 3rd shift.

Bo playing bad? name his linemates this year.

10 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Pretty much this.

The problem is, there are three types of forwards on this team

1.Young and unproductive

2.Old, slow and unproductive

3.Sedins and Hansen

Seriously, you replace the other 9 forwards with AHLers and not be any worse. The AHL defensemen actually look more dialed in than Hammer right now. My guess is Hamhuis' time is coming to an end in the league, at least as a top pairing guy. He can't handle the heavy minutes game after game any more. Too much tread taken off the tire.

Compare Hamhuis now to what he was in 2011 and it's not even close, he's like half the player he once was.

This is 100% true. They're young sure but that should'nt take away from the fact they have been pretty bad. All of them. 

55 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have been wondering lately when was the last time the Canucks played consecutive games, or even periods with the same lines?

Sure injuries happen and players slot in and out but the only line that plays consistently is the Sedin/Hansen and that is the only line not put in the blender every 3rd shift.

Bo playing bad? name his linemates this year.

Yeah. I initially thought Bo would get better but it doesn't seem like he will... unless he finds stable line mates to build chemistry with to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone.

As much as I like Hansen with the Sedins, we need to break them up to balance the lines. Why not put Hansen with Bo? Burrows can play with the Sedins and they will still produce. What was the reason for moving away from Burrows with the Sedins in the first place?

The NHL lines are all about balance and WD is failing again and again to find that balance after Sutter's injury. It's been 10+ games now and he still hasn't bee able to find the right balance. 

The way it is now, with structureless defence, the Sedins need to score 3 goals per game for this team to just take the game to the OT (only to lose in the OT). Case in point, the Sedins assisted for both of the goals scored against Dallas last night and yet, we still lost 3-2 (4-2 including the ENG). 

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Baertschi/Prust-McCann-Vrbata

Prust/Baertschi-Cracknell-Dorsett

Frankly, Baertschi is struggling so much that it doesn't matter if he has capable players to play with or not. Might as well put Prust with McCann and Vrbata to provide some grit for that line.

I missed the Ducks game so I don't know how bad it was but yesterday's game and the LA game was just unbearable to watch.

I really don't know what happened. Although the team was losing some close games due to inexperience, they were playing great and it was exciting to watch them play up until Sutter's injury. Then, Sutter was injured and now we suck like Edmonton. It looks like WD was relying heavily on one player Sutter for some roles like PK, defensive zone duties, and once he went out, he wasn't able to find come up with a way to fill that hole.

Having a single source of failure is never a good idea in anything, be it sports, engineering, computer programs, military operations, emergency response programs, etc etc. You need back up plans and a back up plan to the back up plan at least. Hopefully you will never have to use the back up plan but it the time arises, you know it's there and you know you'll be OK. 

More I think about it, the recent struggle is a failure in coaching. If a star player gets injured, the whole team needs to step up and fill the gap as a group, by committee. And it's the coach's job to devise the right strategy so that the players can step up and fill up that gap left by the star player. Without any plan, even if the players want to step up and work hard, they just don't know what to do. It's like soldiers fighting a war without directions from the general. 

The players looked lost out there.

On 12/3/2015, 1:01:15, SaintPatrick33 said:

Predictions:

Canucks go 0'fer on the PP, give up 2 PP goals to Seguin

The game is a close 2-1 game, until the defence coughs up the puck up the middle, sending sharp in on a breakaway for a goal

We get great goaltending until a weak one goes in high glove side with 7 minutes left in the game

If we ever get Kenins with Virtanen and Horvat on a line we can have a physical 3rd line

I was almost right! Partial points :)

4 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah. I initially thought Bo would get better but it doesn't seem like he will... unless he finds stable line mates to build chemistry with to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone.

As much as I like Hansen with the Sedins, we need to break them up to balance the lines. Why not put Hansen with Bo? Burrows can play with the Sedins and they will still produce. What was the reason for moving away from Burrows with the Sedins in the first place?

The NHL lines are all about balance and WD is failing again and again to find that balance after Sutter's injury. It's been 10+ games now and he still hasn't bee able to find the right balance. 

The way it is now, with structureless defence, the Sedins need to score 3 goals per game for this team to just take the game to the OT (only to lose in the OT). Case in point, the Sedins assisted for both of the goals scored against Dallas last night and yet, we still lost 3-2 (4-2 including the ENG). 

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Frankly, Baertschi is struggling so much that it doesn't matter if he has capable players to play with or not. Might as well put Prust with McCann and Vrbata to provide some grit for that line.

I missed the Ducks game so I don't know how bad it was but yesterday's game and the LA game was just unbearable to watch.

I really don't know what happened. Although the team was losing some close games due to inexperience, they were playing great and it was exciting to watch them play up until Sutter's injury. Then, Sutter was injured and now we suck like Edmonton. It looks like WD was relying heavily on one player Sutter for some roles like PK, defensive zone duties, and once he went out, he wasn't able to find come up with a way to fill that hole.

Having a single source of failure is never a good idea in anything, be it sports, engineering, computer programs, military operations, emergency response programs, etc etc. You need back up plans and a back up plan to the back up plan at least. Hopefully you will never have to use the back up plan but it the time arises, you know it's there and you know you'll be OK. 

More I think about it, the recent struggle is a failure in coaching. If a star player gets injured, the whole team needs to step up and fill the gap as a group, by committee. And it's the coach's job to devise the right strategy so that the players can step up and fill up that gap left by the star player. Without any plan, even if the players want to step up and work hard, they just don't know what to do. It's like soldiers fighting a war without directions from the general. 

I agree, however some blame must be put on the GM as well.

You mention Plan B.  Well plan B for an injury like Sutter appears to by Linden Vey followed by Blair Jones, 17 pts in 132 NHL games. and realistically plan A was Vey at 4c and McCann in junior.  Last season Benning picked up an NHL experienced C to play in Utica, this season he has a 20YO, 19YO and a 31YO career 5 goal scorer on the NHL team and a failed experiment and career AHL grinder as top call ups. What's a coach to do?

The Canucks did not offer any PTOs for camp, so what we see now is what we should have expected in August.

All that said, every player on your list above, except Kenins (1 game) and the Sedins have all played on lines together this season. That includes McCann on Bo's wing and Cracker on McCann's wing.

Somebody should give Willie a blender for Christmas so he can stop making blender drinks out of his NHL line up.  He's worse than AV at his worst.

On December 4, 2015 at 8:54:34 AM, lmm said:

well if that is how you think we should build an entertaining product maybe we should spend less on skill and more on prettier ICE GIRLZ

Ice girls were not part of the history of the game.  That's an American football idea.  Fighting is part of the game.  

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎19‎:‎14‎, khay said:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

I like the line up that you are suggesting but....

If Hansen and the Sedins are producing, why fix it?  Hansen is bringing the speed and grit to the top line that Burrows used to bring.  Hansen is a good 3RW.  He alone will not be the answer to any other lines woes.

The issue as I see it is depth.  With Sutter out, Horvat has to take on more than he is able in addition to his sophomore slump.  McCann may be playing better.  Why not try this:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi McCann Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Burrows

Prust Cradknell Dorsett

Benning understands the issues.  He has shopped around the league.  The price to add forward depth (C) is too high.  The price to add defensive depth it too high.  He's not about to mortgage the future over 4-6 weeks of grief.  Nor should he.  So we're just going to have to suck it up.  Do we have Hutton back tonight?

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I like the line up that you are suggesting but....

If Hansen and the Sedins are producing, why fix it?  Hansen is bringing the speed and grit to the top line that Burrows used to bring.  Hansen is a good 3RW.  He alone will not be the answer to any other lines woes.

The issue as I see it is depth.  With Sutter out, Horvat has to take on more than he is able in addition to his sophomore slump.  McCann may be playing better.  Why not try this:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi McCann Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Burrows

Prust Cradknell Dorsett

Benning understands the issues.  He has shopped around the league.  The price to add forward depth (C) is too high.  The price to add defensive depth it too high.  So we're just going to have to suck it up.  Do we have Hutton back tonight?

Can't we just trade Vrbata?  It seems what ever line he's on does bad.  

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Are we back to vilifying Vrbata?  He's not the problem.

I'd like to see him put up some points and increase his trade value for a deadline move.

I'm vilifying.  I think I'm just pointing out facts.  The only centre he played half decent with was McCann.  However everyone players better with McCann.  Hell he even makes the plugs look good.  Maybe we could get a first for Vrbata right now?  Would you trade him now, if we got back a first?

Archived