The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questionnaire for Ol' timers

ABNuck

You younger fans are more than welcome to add to the discussion as well, but be forewarned the yardstick by which you will be measured is if you know who said "Oldtime Hockey - Yeah - Eddie Shore" (Just kidding :P)...but it will be easier to answer some of these questions if you ACTUALLY participated or were there (Smithers Joe...you there?) as opposed to "here's a cool story my dad told me". Anyways here's the questions I've come up with:

1/ I think most everyone would agree that the greatest all-time top 4 are Gretzky, Howe, Orr and Lemieux (we can debate the order at some other time), so the question is...who's #5? Bossy? Yzerman? Beliveau? Sawchuk? Tretiak? Lafleur? Richard?...the list goes on for miles...and I suspect we would get as many answers as there are commenters...so let the debate begin. I'm with Bossy on this one. He accomplished something that none of the top 4 could: 9 consecutive seasons with 50+ goals...talk about consistency.

2/ Have you ever seen a game in one of the older buildings (Gardens - TO or Bahston, the Forum on Peel, MSG, the Madhouse, the Checkerdome, Pac Coliseum...or how about the Aud or the Spectum...remember the fog series)?

3/ How many of you tried the Northlands helmet once Stan Makita started wearing a helmet? Or the Gretzky Jofa? Or that hideous indescribable thing that Butch Goring used to wear on his head...was that even a helmet? I've been CCM my whole life...but I wanted the Gretzky one (they outlawed it in all of minor hockey...no CAHA/CSA sticker). And while we're on the topic...remember the good ol' days when we used to paint our nicknames on the side of our helmets?

4/ Did you ever get to play minor hockey without a faceshield? I remember that they always mandated the full face protection just behind the level I was at...as I moved up, it became law for the level I had just left. So for my whole minor hockey career I got to wear the mouthguard only...the outside one, not the inside one...young ones ask your dad...he can show you a picture. Man were they ugly. But it was easier to fight back then...no fear of busting up your knuckles on a cage.

5/ Do you remember wearing skates with steel blades and holders? I recall getting my first pair of Bauer Supremes with Tuuk blades...all the cool kids had 'em. Back then there was only 2 real choices...Bauer Supremes and CCM Tacks. But do you remember ROOS (the Kangaroo leather skates...gawd were they heavy huh) or Langes (the plastic moulded boot...looked like ski boots).

6/ And the worst of all...remember the sticks we had to use? All wood (heavy)...adult sized only (no kids or intermediate sizes so...heavy)...not many choices (basically curved or straight, left or right...you learned to live with the LIE of the stick your dad bought you). But we had 2 sticks...ice hockey only stick which eventually became...your road hockey only stick (remember wearing the blade down 'til it was about an inch high?)

So there's our walk down memory lane...there's so many other memories and questions that can be asked...so let's here your NHL / minor hockey memories...

Not sure if I qualify as 'old-timer' but...

-#5 may be Jagr.  Can't deny peak and longevity.

-Seen game vs. Jets at old Pac.  Final Jets appearance there I believe before recent comeback.

-Sported one of these bad boys:

$T2eC16F,!)kFIeLRsBHZBSZHVnCtzw~~60_35.J

-No face shield

-Oh yeah, steel baby:

2995300862_d199e6f44d.jpg

- Old Koho wooden sticks.  At times with plastic replacement blades.  Cheap!

mfLkTju2Hr8FQ1fVSmt8Faw.jpg

Well first you'll find that many younger fans don't get Slapshot references.

Experts will probably tell you Messier is number five but I'm going with Bossy

Been to the old forum in the 80's, saw many a game in the PNE Canucks home and the last game the old Jets played in the old Edmonton arena.

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

You younger fans are more than welcome to add to the discussion as well, but be forewarned the yardstick by which you will be measured is if you know who said "Oldtime Hockey - Yeah - Eddie Shore" (Just kidding :P)...but it will be easier to answer some of these questions if you ACTUALLY participated or were there (Smithers Joe...you there?) as opposed to "here's a cool story my dad told me". Anyways here's the questions I've come up with:

1/ I think most everyone would agree that the greatest all-time top 4 are Gretzky, Howe, Orr and Lemieux (we can debate the order at some other time), so the question is...who's #5? Bossy? Yzerman? Beliveau? Sawchuk? Tretiak? Lafleur? Richard?...the list goes on for miles...and I suspect we would get as many answers as there are commenters...so let the debate begin. I'm with Bossy on this one. He accomplished something that none of the top 4 could: 9 consecutive seasons with 50+ goals...talk about consistency.

2/ Have you ever seen a game in one of the older buildings (Gardens - TO or Bahston, the Forum on Peel, MSG, the Madhouse, the Checkerdome, Pac Coliseum...or how about the Aud or the Spectum...remember the fog series)?

3/ How many of you tried the Northlands helmet once Stan Makita started wearing a helmet? Or the Gretzky Jofa? Or that hideous indescribable thing that Butch Goring used to wear on his head...was that even a helmet? I've been CCM my whole life...but I wanted the Gretzky one (they outlawed it in all of minor hockey...no CAHA/CSA sticker). And while we're on the topic...remember the good ol' days when we used to paint our nicknames on the side of our helmets?

4/ Did you ever get to play minor hockey without a faceshield? I remember that they always mandated the full face protection just behind the level I was at...as I moved up, it became law for the level I had just left. So for my whole minor hockey career I got to wear the mouthguard only...the outside one, not the inside one...young ones ask your dad...he can show you a picture. Man were they ugly. But it was easier to fight back then...no fear of busting up your knuckles on a cage.

5/ Do you remember wearing skates with steel blades and holders? I recall getting my first pair of Bauer Supremes with Tuuk blades...all the cool kids had 'em. Back then there was only 2 real choices...Bauer Supremes and CCM Tacks. But do you remember ROOS (the Kangaroo leather skates...gawd were they heavy huh) or Langes (the plastic moulded boot...looked like ski boots).

6/ And the worst of all...remember the sticks we had to use? All wood (heavy)...adult sized only (no kids or intermediate sizes so...heavy)...not many choices (basically curved or straight, left or right...you learned to live with the LIE of the stick your dad bought you). But we had 2 sticks...ice hockey only stick which eventually became...your road hockey only stick (remember wearing the blade down 'til it was about an inch high?)

So there's our walk down memory lane...there's so many other memories and questions that can be asked...so let's here your NHL / minor hockey memories...

1 - It's Richard for me, but you could make a case for Beliveau, Jagr, Lidstrom, Fetisov, Hasek and Kharlamov as well.

2 - Saw several games in the Pacific Coliseum and two in the old Montreal Forum. (Canucks and Kings)

3 - I has the old Butch Goring helmet, as well as the one you see in all the old photos of Gretzky when he was a kid. (I was born on the same day as Gretz, BTW)

4 - Yep. I remember when they became mandatory for minor hockey. Our Midget rep team had to put them on just before heading out to a national championship tournament.

5 - Remember them and had several pairs. I was a Super Tacks guy.

6 - Remember the wooden sticks well. Used to swear by Sherwood PMPs. (We used to call them "pimps")

1. jagr is def in top 5  bossy could be argued as well both amazing players

2. pacific  col and northlands col in edmonton 

3. i had a cooper from kindergarden up then a jofa then now a bauer 

4. cage rager

5. ccm tacks cost me 475 in 1994 still using them  but i need a new pair not bad lasted 21 yrs  plastic near blade is breaking now :(  hopefully il be able to buy some next yr 

6. wooden sticks  im a purest i dont like composites i still have 5 good wooden ones  and one composite my wrist shot still is a rocket i can hurt people with my wrister if you get in way from point 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

1 - It's Richard for me, but you could make a case for Beliveau, Jagr, Lidstrom, Fetisov, Hasek and Kharlamov as well.

2 - Saw several games in the Pacific Coliseum and two in the old Montreal Forum. (Canucks and Kings)

3 - I has the old Butch Goring helmet, as well as the one you see in all the old photos of Gretzky when he was a kid. (I was born on the same day as Gretz, BTW)

4 - Yep. I remember when they became mandatory for minor hockey. Our Midget rep team had to put them on just before heading out to a national championship tournament.

5 - Remember them and had several pairs. I was a Super Tacks guy.

6 - Remember the wooden sticks well. Used to swear by Sherwood PMPs. (We used to call them "pimps")

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

1. jagr is def in top 5  bossy could be argued as well both amazing players

2. pacific  col and northlands col in edmonton 

3. i had a cooper from kindergarden up then a jofa then now a bauer 

4. cage rager

5. ccm tacks cost me 475 in 1994 still using them  but i need a new pair not bad lasted 21 yrs  plastic near blade is breaking now :(  hopefully il be able to buy some next yr 

6. wooden sticks  im a purest i dont like composites i still have 5 good wooden ones  and one composite my wrist shot still is a rocket i can hurt people with my wrister if you get in way from point 

I too was the last hold out with the wooden sticks...Sherwood as well (as you can see by my profile pic I eventually flipped to composite). I used to use the "Coffey" curve (about 3/4"...not really legal but who's checking in men's rec league right?)...and yeah, guys were switching to compo's cause they got more on the shot but I too used to hurt a few goalies with my slapshot and that sweet toe kick curve of the Coffey Sherwoods.

And @TOMapleLaughs: LOVE that sweet Cooper helmet...I remember those as well...not quite as ugly as Goring's "thing" helmet but definitely not one you'd take back to your suite from the hotel bar either...if you get that "roadtrip" reference there (all the married guys right now are giggling inside but on the outside are telling their wives they have no idea what this guy's talking about).

1.  I always liked Stastny.
2. Pacific Coliseum. I have only ever seen games in Van and Cal.
3. Helmets are for sissies :P   My helmet was a tuque! 
4. Never played minor hockey. :(   No cash in my family.
5.  I learned to skate on these types of blades

2995300862_d199e6f44d.jpg

6. I remember my mom getting me a stick with a straight blade once. I complained there was no curve. Mom just said 'they come with curves now?'  lol
And it was an absolute tragedy for me when I broke a blade because there were no stores in my town to buy sticks. Had to wait for the next trip to the 'bigger municipality' to get a new stick. :lol: 

Where I grew up the school had an outdoor rink. It was a second home from Oct - Mar. Lots of nights walking home on feet that were crazy sore from being in the skate for hours but also crazy numb from the cold. Ah memories ::D 

1. Hard call.  Was never much of a Bossy fan, and that '82 series was so sad after the Canucks squeaking in.  I still feel sorry for Snepts blowing Game 1.  Still, Bossy sure knew what to do with the puck... can't take that away from him.  Jagr came to mind, but the fake high-stick calls that he and Lemieux drew back then offended me.  Lot of respect for Yzerman, so maybe I'll go with him here.

2. Been to ML Gardens in the early 90's, and saw the Pens there.  That was some narrow seats.  I went in January, and it was tough to fit in with my winter coat.  Woulda been kinda tight for some larger folks.  Family had season's at the Coliseum for a number of years, so I got to see about 8-10 games a year when I was growing up.  Got to see the 2nd game of Towel Power in '82... what a rush!

3/4/5. Never laced 'em up (could skate for sht), and don't remember what I wore for ball hockey.  Those were some ugly ones.

6.  Yeah, they were heavy.  I remember I got a broken stick from Oddliefson.  After a while, I put a cooperblade on there and used it regularly (yep, stupid kid).  I was sure happy when it was worn out, and I bought something new.

You did the best you can back then, but TV-wise it was pretty sad, knowing what we have now.  I remember poring over the TV schedule each year, to see how badly we get shafted for the Canuck games on HNIC, and counting the total games we could watch.  It was so nice when HNIC went to 2 games on Saturday night, and regional coverage, almost guaranteeing to show the Canucks if they played that night.  But back then, we had Jim Robson on CTV games, so you take the bad with the good, right!  Man, that was nice.  He sure knew his stuff.

Thanks, this was fun!

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

1. Hard call.  Was never much of a Bossy fan, and that '82 series was so sad after the Canucks squeaking in.  I still feel sorry for Snepts blowing Game 1.  Still, Bossy sure knew what to do with the puck... can't take that away from him.  Jagr came to mind, but the fake high-stick calls that he and Lemieux drew back then offended me.  Lot of respect for Yzerman, so maybe I'll go with him here.

2. Been to ML Gardens in the early 90's, and saw the Pens there.  That was some narrow seats.  I went in January, and it was tough to fit in with my winter coat.  Woulda been kinda tight for some larger folks.  Family had season's at the Coliseum for a number of years, so I got to see about 8-10 games a year when I was growing up.  Got to see the 2nd game of Towel Power in '82... what a rush!

3/4/5. Never laced 'em up (could skate for sht), and don't remember what I wore for ball hockey.  Those were some ugly ones.

6.  Yeah, they were heavy.  I remember I got a broken stick from Oddliefson.  After a while, I put a cooperblade on there and used it regularly (yep, stupid kid).  I was sure happy when it was worn out, and I bought something new.

You did the best you can back then, but TV-wise it was pretty sad, knowing what we have now.  I remember poring over the TV schedule each year, to see how badly we get shafted for the Canuck games on HNIC, and counting the total games we could watch.  It was so nice when HNIC went to 2 games on Saturday night, and regional coverage, almost guaranteeing to show the Canucks if they played that night.  But back then, we had Jim Robson on CTV games, so you take the bad with the good, right!  Man, that was nice.  He sure knew his stuff.

Thanks, this was fun!

Yeah I forgot about that part of hockey history. I think if I remember correctly the Canucks only got a handful of Sat Nite games due to an agreement they had to sign when they entered the league...my how times have changed (cough*ROGERS SUCKS*cough). Saturday nite (if you weren't on a road trip that weekend) was spent eating burgers and chips off TV trays so we could watch HNIC.

Remember Peter Puck, Howie Meeker's Hockey School and SHOWDOWN! I guess we have Showdown now...but instead of it being an intermission treat it's a nightly affair after 60 minutes...kinda lost its nostalgia.

14 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Yeah I forgot about that part of hockey history. I think if I remember correctly the Canucks only got a handful of Sat Nite games due to an agreement they had to sign when they entered the league...my how times have changed (cough*ROGERS SUCKS*cough). Saturday nite (if you weren't on a road trip that weekend) was spent eating burgers and chips off TV trays so we could watch HNIC.

Remember Peter Puck, Howie Meeker's Hockey School and SHOWDOWN! I guess we have Showdown now...but instead of it being an intermission treat it's a nightly affair after 60 minutes...kinda lost its nostalgia.

Oh yeah, Peter Puck.  They need to re-do that for people down here in the US, help educate some of these kids on how the game is played.  I forgot about those things.  And, gotta love the TV trays.

KRAGAR: Just noticed you're from Huntington Beach...love it there. (Home of the Beach Boys for all you non-Cali types). We stayed at a BnB just a block off the ocean...I think it was closer to the Newport Beach area (an old hotel converted to a BnB...had a real surf theme to it). We drove over to Balboa Island...talk about expensive real estate! Couldn't find a decent steak anywhere on our last Cali visit so we ended up eating at Outback steakhouse in Huntington. Anyways, yeah we should totally have Peter Puck back on...would be so easy with today's CGI.

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

KRAGAR: Just noticed you're from Huntington Beach...love it there. (Home of the Beach Boys for all you non-Cali types). We stayed at a BnB just a block off the ocean...I think it was closer to the Newport Beach area (an old hotel converted to a BnB...had a real surf theme to it). We drove over to Balboa Island...talk about expensive real estate! Couldn't find a decent steak anywhere on our last Cali visit so we ended up eating at Outback steakhouse in Huntington. Anyways, yeah we should totally have Peter Puck back on...would be so easy with today's CGI.

Yep, it gets expensive here, but I sure don't live in one of those homes.  Sure glad we bought our place when we did!

If you're back down here and looking for steak, there's a Morton's in Costa Mesa.  Black Angus is in Fountain Valley (another HB neighbor, and closer than Morton's), but that's more of a three-star kinda place.  Duke's, at the HB pier is good too, but known more for seafood.  I'm sure there are some nice places to eat and live south of HB, but your bill only goes up!

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Yep, it gets expensive here, but I sure don't live in one of those homes.  Sure glad we bought our place when we did!

If you're back down here and looking for steak, there's a Morton's in Costa Mesa.  Black Angus is in Fountain Valley (another HB neighbor, and closer than Morton's), but that's more of a three-star kinda place.  Duke's, at the HB pier is good too, but known more for seafood.  I'm sure there are some nice places to eat and live south of HB, but your bill only goes up!

Thanks for the info...I remember Morton's when I used to live in the States. My philosophy when it comes to steak is...I'd rather pay 60 bucks for a good steak than 30 bucks for a chunk of leather. Had a steak in San Francisco (Flat Iron style)...piece of crap. Then tried again SLO town (again, San Luis Obispo for you non Cali types) at a fairly expensive restaurant and it too was a pile of junk. That's why we tried Outback cause you can always get a decent steak there. (Last Outback me and missus ate at was in New York near LGA airport...for the same reasons...didn't know for sure where else to go and be guaranteed a good steak).

Best in the world I've had is by far Brazilian beef (restaurant called RIOZ in Garden City SC - near Myrtle Beach). Had a decent steak (believe it or not) on the island of Malta of all places. Served with a beer and chips (the British love their chips - apparently goes with everything) for 10 pounds (about 40 $CAD at the time).

How did this turn into a thread about steak...jeez.

Anyways, try Ruth's Chris too...always good for the cowboy food.

#5 is Bobby Orr.

He gets #1 AND #5, cos' he puts a tear in the eye, dammitall.

Appreciate this thread. Played back in the 70's & 80's. Quebec Peewee tourney is up there in lifetime memories. The game had HUGE potential(early 90's) with the coming superb technology. NHL HQ policies(meddling) & overcoaching, squeezed the joy & spontaneity out of it.

You don't get two histories to compare, so many dismiss this opinion. I'll always contend the last quarter century's hockey COULD have been twice as good.

Which partly explains the hardcore-nostalgia that seems inherent.

Honestly....Peter Forsberg might be the best forward after Gretzky I've ever seen play. He was the total package. Lidstrom was clearly a freak. It's between those two for me. Can't compare goalies, in my opinion....they're just a completely different thing  

I've been to the Forum, ML Gardens, Joe Louis, MSG, and the Coliseum, naturally. The list is pretty long for me  

I actually would prefer if they brought back wooden hockey sticks and older style pads. 

Watched a game in the Old Maple Leaf Gardens. Gretzky's last game in T.O. and one of the last games of his career. Dan Cloutier was in net for the Rangers.

Have a game puck from the Old Boston Garden, My uncle used to live in Boston, was at a game and caught a puck, came to visit us in Vancouver at Xmas in 1986 and gave me the puck as a gift, still have it.

I have Lidstrom as top 3 all time. 

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Watched a game in the Old Maple Leaf Gardens. Gretzky's last game in T.O. and one of the last games of his career. Dan Cloutier was in net for the Rangers.

Have a game puck from the Old Boston Garden, My uncle used to live in Boston, was at a game and caught a puck, came to visit us in Vancouver at Xmas in 1986 and gave me the puck as a gift, still have it.

I have Lidstrom as top 3 all time. 

Really? You have him ahead of Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux?

On 2015-12-08, 10:56:14, ABNuck said:

1) No. 5 - can be anyone you mentioned, but I would include Bobby Hull and Denis Potvin in the conversation for no. 5.

2) Saw games in the old Maple Leaf Gardens on Carleton St., The Forum on rue Ste. Catharines (BTW, Peel is about 15 blocks east of where the old Forum), Winnipeg Arena on Maroons Rd., MSG before the big renovation, The Forum in Inglewood, PacCol on Renfrew.

3) Tried a Northland copy - the old Lange bucket; played with Northland sticks; played old timers hockey wearing the Gretzky Jofa (mine had an "approved by Swedish Ice Hockey Federation" or something like that sticker on it).  You forgot to mention the Spalding hockey helmets that were around in the 1970s.  Denis Potvin, one of my faves in the 1970s wore the Lange variety...Lanny MacDonald...Guy Lafleur for the first couple of years of his NHL career; Lars Erik Sjoeberg a 5'9" d-man who could maneuver the puck with the best of 'em while with the old WHA Winnipeg Jets wore the Northlands and popularized it in the 'peg.  But I ended wearing the CCM Paul Hendersons for most my minor hockey life.  My best buddy wore the Jofa with padding (and approved by CSA).

4) Wore a mouthguard as a pee wee on outdoor rinks in Winnipeg, but grew into full cage within a couple of years.

5) "Tube blades", "Pefecta blades" and "Tuuk blades" - skated on all these.  Remember all the types you mention well...you forgot Micron, a cheaper version of the Lange moulded skates that you could buy at Canadian Tire.

6) Wooden sticks...yup. I played with Northland's, Christian's, Sher Wood's, Titan's, Koho's, Montreal's.  Then in the 1990s I used Easton aluminum.  Tried the composites - broke too easy.  Went back to wood before I hung 'em up.  Seen more cuts to the face because of toothpick blades on street hockey sticks than anything else in hockey.  We played with beat up street hockey nets that were propped up using old tires to hold the back frame up.  Frozen tennis balls to the jewels is probably why I can't have kids.

7) Others - remember the old pro Sandow SK mesh jerseys?  Replaced by Nike when they started making the Oilers uniforms in the 1980s.  Miss the old unique style goalie masks.  Today, they are all the same design, with paint jobs being the differentiating factors. 

Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

Archived