The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Few Points Here, A Few Questions There!

-WeAreAllCanucks-

You Are The Coach; Who Do You Count On?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Introduction:

Good Day Canuck Fans,

I have recently started following the Canucks since their memorable run to the Stanley Cup Finals back in 2010-2011. It is really hard to believe, but that was 5 long years ago and there have been so many changes to the organization since then. Through all of the ups and downs during these years, I have continued to follow the Canucks closely and have remained a die-hard fan since the very first day. It is pretty fair to say that I might not be as experienced as some of you who have watched the Canucks since their early days, but regardless I wanted to bring some stuff to attention and there was no better way than becoming an active poster on these forum boards. So Let's Get Started...

Depth No Longer An Issue?

I do not want to sound pessimistic here, but that latest run to the Stanley Cup Finals might have been this organizations best chance at winning it all. The franchise was hit with an abundance of adversity the following few years and it was not until recently that the team started to turn the corner. The hiring of Trevor Linden and Jim Benning brought along a revolution of change and the roster deployed nowadays is quite different in many respects. The one change that is probably the biggest surprise to most fans is the amount of depth the Canucks possess in their system now. Although many supporters might still be disappointed in Jim Benning's latest moves this off-season, we have to give credit where credit is due. Jim Benning continues to transform this team into one that can compete at a remarkable level for many years to come. The infusion of skillful youth along with hard-working personalities has given Canuck fans something different to cheer about during these next couple of seasons. Winning the cup is not the main goal anymore, but improving on a constant basis and consistently making the Playoffs is a much more important task for everyone in the organization at the moment. The likes of Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk continue to develop at a brisk pace; but its Jake Virtanen, Jared McCann and Ben Hutton who have everyone's attention. All of these players can become household names in no time at all and I have not even gotten to talking about Thatcher Demko, Brock Boeser or Guillaume Brisebois yet. Despite some disliked moves, Jim Benning has done some fabulous things with his resources and in my opinion; it is nothing short of remarkable. Keep Calm And Trust In Benning...

Chemistry & Personalities?

I do not know if many of you have picked up on this yet, but Jim Benning is quite high on chemistry and personalities. Scouting was one of the major problems that existed within the core of the previous management. Fixing this problem was one of Jim Benning's main tasks at the time of his hiring. Having a scouting background himself, it took no time at all for Jim Benning to leave his mark on the Canucks organization. Players like Brandon Prust, Brock Boeser and Guillaume Brisebois have all been closely scouted by Jim Benning and it was their personalities that forced the Canucks GM to pull the trigger on the trade or draft selection. Let's start with Brandon Prust who had a reputation for being a good locker room guy and a fan favorite while with the Montreal Canadiens. The main motive for this trade was the same reason why Derek Dorsett had a permanent spot in the lineup last year. Derek Dorsett had an important hand in mentoring Bo Horvat through his rookie season and Jim Benning wanted Brandon Prust to do the same with Jake Virtanen this year since he had the highest chance of making the team out of training camp. We have already witnessed some of the positive influences Brandon Prust has had on this team and I am pretty sure both Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann have picked up on more than a few pointers from the veteran winger. Brock Boeser is a completely different story, but you can easily identify Jim Benning's intentions when he made this first round selection this off-season. Brock Boeser has had an emotional past and all of his hardships help motivate him to strive for success in the future. A prospect who is self-determined and possesses a good skill set is the best kind of prospect you can have. Jim Benning really hit the home run on this pick and he got pretty close to doing it again on his next pick. Guillaume Brisebois is a talented leader, but has had no success team wise in the QMJHL. At this age, Guillaume Brisebois is probably already self-determined if not desperate to find success. The thing is, when these kinds of players find success; they don't let it go so easily. These kinds of players are the perfect type of rookies to develop and we are really lucky to have them. Benning's Got Some Talent...

It's Getting Long... Where The Heck Is Hannah Bernard?

I have a lot of questions in my mind and like most of you I am a very enthusiastic fan who wants some answers. However, I do not want to bore you with too much information especially in my first post. That is why I decided to go with a fun poll this time around. I am interested in seeing what some of your answers are. As time goes on, I will be posting much more often. I just hope some of you enjoy the information I will be providing and hopefully my posts can provide some optimism and spark some creative communication. I do have one question before I sign off; where the heck is Hannah Bernard? I am pretty sure she still works with the Canucks, but I have not seen her at all this season in any of the exclusive videos offered by the Canucks. She was a pretty good reporter last year and it would be nice to see her do some features with the players again this time around. Let me know down below if you have any information on where she might have gone. Until Next Time...

-WeAreAllCanucks-

Nice first post! Welcome to CDC.

I agree, Benning has done an excellent job with his draft picks so far. Especially like your points on Boeser.

Look at our later picks as well. Olsen, Zhukenov, Jasek. All have made strides since their draft year. Obviously they will take longer, but they all look like they'll hit pro at some point in their careers.

Welcome

Here's a tip.  Massive blocks of text tend to be un-read or skimmed by us semi-literate yobbo's here on CDC.  Effective use of white space will make your posts eminently readable.

I agree with your point on chemistry.  It is important and I think that having the right members in the group was the rationale behind several additions and subtractions that Benning has made.  Prust for Kassian and a 5th for example.  Also, when interviewed about the Junior Combine before the draft, Benning said that the test results are less important to him than the interviews.  Here he can build a relationship and suss out a candidates character.

Sorry, there'll be no space for you this late in the wk(Willie D wiil have a word with you after). We might even send you to the berry farm for conditioning this wknd.

You CAN'T just appear all polished & show up all us vets..you've gotta' grind it out & pay yer dues. It's a reelgud effort, but we shouldn't get all excited, cos' ya gotta be aware at both ends...

1 hour ago, Gyllenhaal said:

I've been impressed with Benning's draft picks so far. Boeser and Mccann are looking like steals.

Hannah Bernard is still around, I'm pretty sure she hosts Canucks TV on Sportsnet

Throw Thatcher Demko into the "steal" category as well.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sorry, there'll be no space for you this late in the wk(Willie D wiil have a word with you after). We might even send you to the berry farm for conditioning this wknd.

You CAN'T just appear all polished & show up all us vets..you've gotta' grind it out & pay yer dues. It's a reelgud effort, but we shouldn't get all excited, cos' ya gotta be aware at both ends...

Lol'd at send you to the berry farm. would plus but you know new CDC wont allow it for me.

Great points on chemistry and personnel. Absolutely agree. I am behind this management. I have never seen the Canucks run with such direction. Loving it. 

Don't like the poll though. Not sure what you are asking - I think you mean to ask: who are you most excited about? 

For me:

1)Thatcher Demko  2) Bo Horvat  3) Jake Virtanen  4) Jared McCann  5) Brock Boeser  6)Hunter Shinkaruk  7) Brendan Gaunce  8) Ben Hutton  9) Guillame Brisebois  10) Nikita Tryamkin  11) Cole Cassels  12) Sven Baertschi  13) Jordan Subban  14)  Alexander Grenier 15) Andrey Pedan

Niklas Jensen doesn't make my list. Honorable mention to Rodin. 

Nice mix of players, but I would like to see this fill in substantially over the next two or three years while a few of these players graduate. Realistically, we are two drafts away from having an elite prospect pool if things go well in the development of these players and we get lucky on the draft floor. We are in tough though given the teams in our division and the young talent assembled. "Who do I count on?" Well... Bo. Maybe Jared. Can't really count on any of them though

6 minutes ago, TheGrizzlyCanuck said:

Great points on chemistry and personnel. Absolutely agree. I am behind this management. I have never seen the Canucks run with such direction. Loving it. 

Don't like the poll though. Not sure what you are asking - I think you mean to ask: who are you most excited about? 

For me:

1)Thatcher Demko  2) Bo Horvat  3) Jake Virtanen  4) Jared McCann  5) Brock Boeser  6)Hunter Shinkaruk  7) Brendan Gaunce  8) Ben Hutton  9) Guillame Brisebois  10) Nikita Tryamkin  11) Cole Cassels  12) Sven Baertschi  13) Jordan Subban  14)  Alexander Grenier 15) Andrey Pedan

Niklas Jensen doesn't make my list. Honorable mention to Rodin. 

Nice mix of players, but I would like to see this fill in substantially over the next two or three years while a few of these players graduate. Realistically, we are two drafts away from having an elite prospect pool if things go well in the development of these players and we get lucky on the draft floor. We are in tough though given the teams in our division and the young talent assembled. "Who do I count on?" Well... Bo. Maybe Jared. Can't really count on any of them though

I would have McCann ahead of Virtanen and Hutton ahead of them all.

Archived