The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick O'Sullivan: "Burrows is the only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did - why I can't stand him"

homersexual

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

Funny how everybody here hates Marchand and loved (at least until one-two years ago) Burrows.

Fact is they aren't that different.

1 Takes runs at other guys and injures people. While also being 1 of the biggest divers in the league. While one has a mouth and a reputation around the league. Atleast you never seen Burrows try to deliberately injure somebody.

1. I wouldn't want to be known as a man who has hateful garbage like that coming out his mouth.

2. I never understood how extreme trash-talking ever helped win a hockey game. No, save me the part about getting someone off their game.

3. For all the good things Burrows has done for the Canucks, I will still be glad the day he is gone from this organization. Some things I as a fan do not need.

10 minutes ago, MovesLikeDatsyuk said:

Yo this guy is so Butt hurt. He wouldn't last 1 day around me and my friends. We grill each other constantly, Grow a set of balls and man up. Seriously a hockey player than cant take some smack talk. Classic.

So... what you're saying is, you guys would make fun of a "friend" about his past physical abuse that he was forced to suffer through?

That's disgusting. What a cool bunch..

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

1. I wouldn't want to be known as a man who has hateful garbage like that coming out his mouth.

2. I never understood how extreme trash-talking ever helped win a hockey game. No, save me the part about getting someone off their game.

3. For all the good things Burrows has done for the Canucks, I will still be glad the day he is gone from this organization. Some things I as a fan I do not need.

Point 1.). Is a 100% accurate.

chirps like that are chicken $&!# juvenile stuff.  Just not real man material.

12 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Ever had any significant personal hardship in your life? A sibling or parent passed away? Beat mercilessly by your own father? I'm sure you'd absolutely laugh your ass off to hear chirps about that. Your friends must be the coolest bunch of bros around.

Alright, personal story time. 

I'm the oldest child of four in my family. My parents were divorced when I was seven my I was given to my emotionally and physically abusive mother over my stable and hardworking father. The stress caused my weight to balloon around the third grade, which led to me being teased relentlessly because I was, at the time, both taller and wider than everyone else. I'd come home from school and my mother would either be a worse bully or completely absent. My grades suffered and I ultimately dropped out of high school three months before graduation, at this point I came far too close to ending my life. It took eight years of therapy, moving to a new province and the patient support of loving people who slowly helped my life turn around and now I'm happy that I decided to stick around for this whole life thing.

Now, having personally experienced a broken home, childhood obesity, bullying and suicide. I would absolutely make a chirp about that kind or subject matter and I wouldn't complain if you made a joke like that to me.

Why?

Because I healed myself instead of remaining a victim. If you want this sort of thing to go away, don't demonize Burr. Encourage O'Sullivan to make peace with his past and move forward in a healthy way. Don't encourage him to be a victim who gets sad because someone mentioned his awful past, okay?

Good talk.

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

I'm the oldest child of four in my family. My parents were divorced when I was seven my I was given to my emotionally and physically abusive mother over my stable and hardworking father. The stress caused my weight to balloon around the third grade, which led to me being teased relentlessly because I was, at the time, both taller and wider than everyone else. I'd come home from school and my mother would either be a worse bully or completely absent. My grades suffered and I ultimately dropped out of high school three months before graduation, at this point I came far too close to ending my life. It took eight years of therapy, moving to a new province and the patient support of loving people who slowly helped my life turn around and now I'm happy that I decided to stick around for this whole life thing.

Now, having personally experienced a broken home, childhood obesity, bullying and suicide. I would absolutely make a chirp about that kind or subject matter and I wouldn't complain if you made a joke like that to me.

Why?

Because I healed myself instead of remaining a victim. If you want this sort of thing to go away, don't demonize Burr. Encourage O'Sullivan to make peace with his past and move forward in a health way. Don't encourage him to be a victim who gets sad because someone mentioned his awful past, okay?

Good talk.

You the real MVP.

Just now, Winter Soldier said:

Why?

Because I healed myself instead of remaining a victim. If you want this sort of thing to go away, don't demonize Burr. Encourage O'Sullivan to make peace with his past and move forward in a health way. Don't encourage him to be a victim who gets sad because someone mentioned his awful past, okay?

Good talk.

I'm sorry, that's terrible and no child should  have to go through that. But I must say I'm a little alarmed that you'd insult somebody about that after going through it yourself to be perfectly honest. 

3 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Why?

Because I healed myself instead of remaining a victim. If you want this sort of thing to go away, don't demonize Burr. Encourage O'Sullivan to make peace with his past and move forward in a healthy way. Don't encourage him to be a victim who gets sad because someone mentioned his awful past, okay?

Good talk.

You're right.

your experience and method of healing applies to everybody.

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'm sorry, that's terrible and no child should  have to go through that. But I must say I'm a little alarmed that you'd insult somebody about that after going through it yourself to be perfectly honest. 

He wont allow himself to become a victim and pities himself. Sounds like a boss to me.

Burrows' rap sheet that everyone is well aware of doesn't look that good...here's a guy who in his glory days as a ball hockey player on the West Island of Montreal on the verge of being inducted into the ball hockey hall of fame got into stick swinging fight with a goalie resulting in the police getting involved.  That is what we're dealing with from a historical perspective.  

He, like everyone in life, has probably mellowed in the past few years (or at least his drop in play should at least have humbled him a little), so the Burrows of today is probably different than the Burrows of yesteryear...though I'd rather have the Burrows who played with elan and fervor and potty mouth than the passenger that we've got now.

Nothing wrong with trying to get a bit of an edge...where do you draw the line though?  It's different for different players.  Obviously Burrows is way out there.  All is fair in love and war and pro hockey.  The news of Burrows' brutality as a trash talker shouldn't be news to anyone.  There's good reason why the Canucks were as hated by other teams and the officials as much as they were back in 2008 to 2012...it goes far beyond the diving, hair pulling, finger biting, whining that were the obvious stuff we saw.  

Yes, Burrows is a major pest, a pain to play against, opponents hate him...etc. But that's his job. If he said anything like this to O'Sullivan, then that's not right, a terrible tactic. But what I can't understand is why O'Sullivan is outing Burrows like this in the media. Is it so more people will feel sorry for him? Playing the victim? How long ago did Burrows say something? Trash-talking is part of the game. It affects some players negatively (like O'Sullivan and Tootoo), and other players let it slide off their back, ignore it and play the game. I also had a really tough Dad growing up, as I'm sure a lot of guys have, I took my lumps. And if someone threw that in my face, then the gloves were off. I certainly wouldn't go to Facebook or Twitter and cry about it to the rest of the world.  

God I miss the hockey of old where it wasn't the protected garbage it has turned into lately. Burrows has trash talked his entire career - and he is not the only player that has made a living off of it. Stuff like that should stay on the ice, its part of the game and anyone saying "oh God, that's awful" - you're right it is. That's the point. Its intended to get into players heads and get them off their game.

Really sick of all these people crying to the media about their feelings getting hurt. Grow up. You get paid millions of dollars to play a game and you'd think they were receiving death threats by the way some of these children were reacting. 

1 minute ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I think we're all aware of the lineups that have defeated us.

Chicago, la and Boston all had significant talent.  Trash talk had nothing to do with it or you're saying we are incredibly mentally weak.

marchand seems to be everyone's target and rightly so. But along with his antics is performance.  He owns the Canucks on every level and has displayed as such every time here.  If you look at the season he is currently putting together it leaves burr exposed as an empty mouthed has been.

Archived