The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Years Eve in Vancouver

canucks411

Hey All,

I am flying into Vancouver from Sask. on Dec 31 and attending the Jan 1 game vs the Ducks. I am staying downtown Van for 3 nights.

I was wondering if there were any recommendations on where to spend New Years Eve? Traditionally I like pubs (irish pubs are even better). Are there any venues that have live music during the night?

Thanks in Advance.

6 minutes ago, canucks411 said:

Hey All,

I am flying into Vancouver from Sask. on Dec 31 and attending the Jan 1 game vs the Ducks. I am staying downtown Van for 3 nights.

I was wondering if there were any recommendations on where to spend New Years Eve? Traditionally I like pubs (irish pubs are even better). Are there any venues that have live music during the night?

Thanks in Advance.

Celebrities.

Really though, I'd suggest something like: a Mahony & Sons, Ceili's, Doolin's, the Lennox Pub.

Never been but upon a google search, Johnnie Fox's Irish Snug serves a variety of Irish adult beverages and has live music. A lot of places downtown require tickets for nights like New Years, which can be expensive, but I'm not sure about these particular venues. 

12 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Celebrities.

Really though, I'd suggest something like: a Mahony & Sons, Ceili's, Doolin's, the Lennox Pub.

Never been but upon a google search, Johnnie Fox's Irish Snug serves a variety of Irish adult beverages and has live music. A lot of places downtown require tickets for nights like New Years, which can be expensive, but I'm not sure about these particular venues. 

Most of these places will require tickets. It'll be like $60 and include a small bottle of champagne. A ripoff generally. Fun though. The crowd on New Years tends to be in a better mood and more social than most nights.

Other suggestions: the Blarneystone, Library Square, Lamplighter, and the London Pub. All sit down bars that transition into a mix of sitting down pub and dance floor as the night goes on.

Mahoney and Sons is a pure sit down restaurant/pub and not meant for partying. Won't be very fun on New Year's, unless you just want a place to sit and chat with friends. Same with the Lennox Pub. Doolin's and Ceili's are both good times though.

Edit: Also, Celebrities can be a lot of fun. It's about half gay/half straight these days. More of a gay friendly bar than a true gay bar. I wouldn't suggest going with just a couple of guys, but if you go with a large group of mixed girls/guys it can be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the ideas. I am not into "clubbing"  anymore (30 years old), I basically just wanted to find a nice pub, live music and a good atmosphere. Only a group of 4 of us so we will just sit around and shoot the $&!#. Not looking to pay $60 to just get into a bar or a bar that's over crowded. 

32 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

A quick google search brought up some options, do the same and I'm sure you'll find something if the suggestions above don't work.

http://www.newyearsevevancouver2015.com/
http://clubzone.com/vancouver/new-years-eve-parties/

But for sure plan ahead and get tickets early, like last month early.

Actually from that list, Portside Pub and the Charles Bar are both great. You'll find diverse crows in both all the way up to the 40s. A lot of places on that list that aren't even really bars and just trying to cash in. 

35 minutes ago, canucks411 said:

Thanks for the ideas. I am not into "clubbing"  anymore (30 years old), I basically just wanted to find a nice pub, live music and a good atmosphere. Only a group of 4 of us so we will just sit around and shoot the $&!#. Not looking to pay $60 to just get into a bar or a bar that's over crowded. 

In that case, look at Mahoney and Sons, right on the water in Vancouver, Not the Richmond location. Beautiful pub, unreal Irish style food and probably doing something fun for New Years. It would be a casual New Years thoug.

39 minutes ago, taxi said:

Actually from that list, Portside Pub and the Charles Bar are both great. You'll find diverse crows in both all the way up to the 40s. A lot of places on that list that aren't even really bars and just trying to cash in. 

I like the look of this bar. Costs $20 to get in on New Years....any word on atmosphere there? Decent?

Other bar I am thinking is Doolins. Costs $15........any recommendations between the 2 places?

10 minutes ago, canucks411 said:

I like the look of this bar. Costs $20 to get in on New Years....any word on atmosphere there? Decent?

Other bar I am thinking is Doolins. Costs $15........any recommendations between the 2 places?

Personally I'm not s fan of portside. I don't know what their New Years looks like but typically it's more of a nightlife bar than a pub to sit and talk in.

On 12/23/2015 at 6:26 AM, inane said:

New Years is the most overrated thing going. Just be with your friends, the rest is just noise.

Only overrated in Van since the city doesn't have a thing for celebrating New Years. That is why people would either stay home or pay for some overpriced nightclub event. No fireworks celebration, no outdoor night concerts or any other outdoor events. Lots of things going on in other cities like Sydney, NYC, LA, Vegas, London etc., thats why am just going to be celebrating the New Year with my friends outside of Van city because we got tired of the same ol' same ol'. 

On 12/24/2015 at 5:15 PM, canucks411 said:

On 12/24/2015 at 5:15 PM, canucks411 said:

On 12/24/2015 at 5:26 PM, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Personally I'm not s fan of portside. I don't know what their New Years looks like but typically it's more of a nightlife bar than a pub to sit and talk in.

Portside starts out as a sit and chat bar, but then transitions into more of a dance club by about 11:00 PM. Only a small portion of the bar is actually devoted to the dance floor though. You could easily avoid. The upstairs has isolated tables. The downstairs has more of a communal bench type situation. 

For New Years, I'd probably go with Doolin's. They will have live music, a mixed crowd, and it's typically a lot of fun and pretty social. It has a very Irish/Celtic feel.

Both would be descent choices though, and there may be some young people there, but also a lot of people in their early 30s too at both.

Archived