The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plus/minus

snucks

The plus minus stat doesn't seem right for Edler. In several recent games he was on the ice for almost all the goals against. He does contribute to the offense though. He does seem lost when the play gets down close to his goalie. Often he is caught watching the puck, just standing nearby watching. Oh well this site has him listed at -2.

33 minutes ago, snucks said:

The plus minus stat doesn't seem right for Edler. In several recent games he was on the ice for almost all the goals against. He does contribute to the offense though. He does seem lost when the play gets down close to his goalie. Often he is caught watching the puck, just standing nearby watching. Oh well this site has him listed at -2.

Oh I was confused. I came here to see what you had to say about +/- and I stumbled into an Edler bashing thread. 

When you are on the ice for half of every game, you are going to be on for goals against.  And for.  Considering he is on as the main shutdown pair, and the entire team has been snake bitten for most games, -2 indicates he is actually a pretty damn good defenseman.

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

yeah ... Hutton, the wonder boy at - 6, and Hamhuis, who can't get healthy soon enough for some who want him traded, is + 7

I am a huge fan of Hutton.

That said, has anyone else noticed an annoying flaw has crept into his game? He is too easily passed on the inside and it has been leading to some real mayhem.

Lidster needs to sort this out, he needs to be shown how to keep opponents down the outside and onto the boards. 

Strangely, I don't recall this problem in his first 10 or so games, so it may have something to do with fatigue (we have tended to take his excellent play for granted) but if he doesn't sort it I fear he might lose his place.

38 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I thought we all decided +/- was a useless stat because everyone "accidentally" steps on the ice at the wrong time. I guess it's usefullness only takes place when it's convenient for certain narratives. 

If you can accidentally step on the ice, you can accidentally step off the ice so it should even out at some point.

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You are not really under the impression the game was the same then are you Alf?

Games evolve, but plus/minus is a good indication of how dominant a player was during his era.  Nic Lidstrom was always a top plus player, until the end of his career.  The leagues truly best players dominate plus/minus.  IMHAO.  Plus 124 shows how great Orr was during that era.  

12 hours ago, Googlie said:

yeah ... Hutton, the wonder boy at - 6, and Hamhuis, who can't get healthy soon enough for some who want him traded, is + 7

Yeah Hamhuis has had a disappointing year but he's played really well some games. It's unfair those few gaffes stand out so much cause he's always been our best shutdown defenseman.

Although, to be fair, Hutton has solidified our pp a lot, and should be kept on there. 

Archived