The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Send Virtanen back to junior

yes we can nucks

19 minutes ago, jdatb said:

Virtanen is the worst player I've ever seen at the wjc. Even worse than Freddy Gauthier from last year wow

I wouldn't go that far. Malcolm Subban was dreadful between the pipes when he was at the wjc. No denying though, Virtanen was a pretty big disappointment this year, and should be on his way back to Calgary fairly soon. 

1 minute ago, jdatb said:

Can you back up your argument? It's more the coach's fault for playing Virtanen on the top line, though. He belonged on the 4th.

Well aside from those penalties by Jake, he wasn't even the worst player on the team. Perlini did nothing all tournament, other than a shootout goal Brayden Point really didn't do much, you'd never know Mitchell Stephens played if you hadn't seen the rosters beforehand, half the Canadian D left a lot to be desired. He'll be crucified for those penalties but aside from that he wasn't nearly as bad as the bitchers and moaners are saying, including yourself. I understand the expectations for Jake but c'mon, the hand-wringing here is painful.

Lets face it even if Virtanen had the greatest world junior of all time both offensively and defensively simultaneously people would still complain about him far more then compliment him that is just the way CDC is :lol:

Do not send him back to junior.

Keep him up with the canucks and then send him to the AHL to grow for 2-3 seasons.  The less expectations people put on this kid the better.

Smells like Shinkaruk all over again.  1 good pre-season followed by a season of declaring him a bust, 1 mediocre AHL season followed by people demanding he be traded.  Now people cannot wait to either trade him or bring him to the big show.

Keep him up, let him grow among men because playing among children might help his scoring touch a little bit but the growth he's had in the NHL will vanish and he'll pick up those bad habits that happen in juniors all over again and after the WJC showing, we cannot have that.

NHL, AHL, NHL.  

imo ive seen a difference in his board work and defensive play.  My biggest knock on him was his intensity.  Just kinda played safe and never took any chances to generate offence.  He only really had 1 dominant game which was vs Sweden in the prelims.  He largely underperformed before that and fell flat after he got passed on for a C or A.  Im not judging his character because of that but I am sure if he was given a letter he might of been more engaged.  

His defensive play has looked better though.  Just played to safe.  Im curious what van management said b4 he left.  He said they wanted him to work on his board battles and d play.  Im curious if he took that msg to litterarly.  

Not knocking his character just making some observations.  He wouldnt purposely not show up.  Just think it might of hit his confidence.  He was the reason we won that first game vs sweden. (player of game too).

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Well aside from those penalties by Jake, he wasn't even the worst player on the team. Perlini did nothing all tournament, other than a shootout goal Brayden Point really didn't do much, you'd never know Mitchell Stephens played if you hadn't seen the rosters beforehand, half the Canadian D left a lot to be desired. He'll be crucified for those penalties but aside from that he wasn't nearly as bad as the bitchers and moaners are saying, including yourself. I understand the expectations for Jake but c'mon, the hand-wringing here is painful.

Let me clarify a bit. It's the coach's fault for putting Virtanen on the top line and #1 powerplay. After the first game he should have been on a line with Stephens and Quenville. But there were countless chances created by Strome that Virtanen blew all throughout the tournament.

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Perlini was hard on the puck and showed a high compete level every shift.  He played Jakes role a lot better offensively.  But.. this is a big but.  When Jake showed up for the odd shift he was clearly the better player.  One thing to consider though folks.  Jake was one of the youngster players in his draft year.  He could of easily been drafted this past summer and thats something we should consider.

Point was ok.  I think Hicketts should of been captain but conflict of interest with coach and him.

Just now, jdatb said:

Let me clarify a bit. It's the coach's fault for putting Virtanen on the top line and #1 powerplay. After the first game he should have been on a line with Stephens and Quenville. But there were countless chances created by Strome that Virtanen blew all throughout the tournament.

Quenneville, right! another guy you'd hardly know even played- how could i forget! Virtanen wasn't nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. He didn't play great, sure, but he wasn't bad. He was prominent through the first half of the game and tailed off (a concerning pattern we've seen). He's a teenager, and a fiery one at that, and it cost the team. Hopefully he grows from this. 

Often times Strome was just as frustrating as virt, by the way, but the grass is always greener in other pastures...right?

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Perlini was hard on the puck and showed a high compete level every shift.  He played Jakes role a lot better offensively.  But.. this is a big but.  When Jake showed up for the odd shift he was clearly the better player.  One thing to consider though folks.  Jake was one of the youngster players in his draft year.  He could of easily been drafted this past summer and thats something we should consider.

Point was ok.  I think Hicketts should of been captain but conflict of interest with coach and him.

Addressed the consistency part in my last post. For a supposed high-skill guy did you see anything from Perlini? Like at all?

And I read Point was given captaincy by a pretty unanimous vote.

2 minutes ago, jdatb said:

The coach dropped the ball.  Keeping blackwood in was a mistake.  But this team looked underwhelming when the roster was announced.  Jake could of been a factor more on the scoresheet but he play on the ice did help the team.  Keeping Jake off the ice for the last min with Barzal out there was a massive coaching mistake.  You dont take out someone whos been on the 1st pp all tourney and stick in someone else new with a min left to come back.

Terrible coaching.  Started to look like Willie with his facial animiation. Heart u willie :P

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Do not send him back to junior.

Keep him up with the canucks and then send him to the AHL to grow for 2-3 seasons.  The less expectations people put on this kid the better.

Smells like Shinkaruk all over again.  1 good pre-season followed by a season of declaring him a bust, 1 mediocre AHL season followed by people demanding he be traded.  Now people cannot wait to either trade him or bring him to the big show.

Keep him up, let him grow among men because playing among children might help his scoring touch a little bit but the growth he's had in the NHL will vanish and he'll pick up those bad habits that happen in juniors all over again and after the WJC showing, we cannot have that.

NHL, AHL, NHL.  

nm

Virtanen needs to go back to junior, from the look I've seen him this season, he has probably real good in a handful of them. I thought Guance, Shinkaruk and even Grenier played better than him when they got called up. Virtanen needs to finish the year in junior and really get to understand how to be a pro. McCann is in a different situation, When you think of a center who can replace McCann in Utica, the list comes relatively short. Also one can argue that McCann has been better than Virtanen.

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Addressed the consistency part in my last post. For a supposed high-skill guy did you see anything from Perlini? Like at all?

And I read Point was given captaincy by a pretty unanimous vote.

He deserved the A Crouse got imo.  Virt had a massive game finally gained some steam then they opt to give it to Lawson freaking Crouse.  Jake really isnt liked on team canada. keeps getting shafted and players dont like passing too him i swear too god. lol.

Hope Virt gets in for 1-2 more nhl games b4 a decision is made.

3 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

I think the real question is r we gonna save a year of RFA or are we burning a year of RFA cause the next game is the teams 40th game.

Expect a decision on Jake by tomorrow afternoon. Has to happen before the game tomorrow though. 

They won't make a decision until after the Jr league trade deadline next week.  They will wait to see if his rights get traded to another team.  Probably won't happen, but there is a slim possibility.

Archived