The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott The Province

Stanky Legs

16 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

There are many valid reason to boycott The Province newspaper, this reason is not one of them.  Face it. Virtanen is a big reason Canada lost.

He was a factor but Canada was doomed anyways. 

Goaltending was suspect at best, Lowry was bad and our biggest problem was that everyone on TC thought they were superstars and wanted to do everything by themselves. 

1 minute ago, Delta76 said:

He was a factor but Canada was doomed anyways. 

Goaltending was suspect at best, Lowry was bad and our biggest problem was that everyone on TC thought they were superstars and wanted to do everything by themselves. 

Not mentioning any names, but I do believe there was a very cuddly and cute alien (with a big nose who eats cats) that said a long time ago - when McCann got hit in the summer - that this Canada team was a sulfish bunch who would not do well.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Not mentioning any names, but I do believe there was a very cuddly and cute alien (with a big nose who eats cats) that said a long time ago - when McCann got hit in the summer - that this Canada team was a sulfish bunch who would not do well.  

Cuddly and cute? There's another alien on this board?! 

I recall that as well though. 

IMHO goal tending let the Cdn Team down badly I can't recall seeing a goa;ie giving up so many rebounds. He was never in control of his crease and as a rule was either scrambling or pulling them out the back of the net. In addition far far to much indvidualism the Great Marner never turned up until half way through the 3rd period in the last game. Frankly there was little team play, as one analyist stated quiet emphatically you may play that game in the OHL but it doesn't work here and last Virtanen took ( like some others ) some stupid penalties

Did anyone actually read the articles?

Roughly half of Botch's piece is about how rare power forwards are and how Jake has the potential to be a very special player. A big chunk is quotes from Benning looking at the positives from the WJC. Most of the rest is questioning what's the best next step, in terms of Virtanen's development.

As far as the headline and Virt being the "goat" for Canada's loss, the article is mostly reporting on what was being said across the country on Twitter and other forums.

And while they don't shy away from criticizing Virtanen for his lack of discipline (deservedly so IMO), both Province writers (Botchford and Traikos) devote considerable ink to the fact that scapegoating Jake alone is unfair and that there's plenty of blame to go around for TC's poor showing.

Sorry, but this just isn't boycott worthy stuff.

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did anyone actually read the articles?

Roughly half of Botch's piece is about how rare power forwards are and how Jake has the potential to be a very special player. A big chunk is quotes from Benning looking at the positives from the WJC. Most of the rest is questioning what's the best next step, in terms of Virtanen's development.

As far as the headline and Virt being the "goat" for Canada's loss, the article is mostly reporting on what was being said across the country on Twitter and other forums.

And while they don't shy away from criticizing Virtanen for his lack of discipline (deservedly so IMO), both Province writers (Botchford and Traikos) devote considerable ink to the fact that scapegoating Jake alone is unfair and that there's plenty of blame to go around for TC's poor showing.

Sorry, but this just isn't boycott worthy stuff.

unfortunately the cover is what people have stamped in their heads , thats a scumbag clickbait, who cares about the kid lets make money heinous hot garbage . Editors suck, Botch article wasnt the problem imo

Sports only takes up about 1/6th of the paper, and even with that, I only look at maybe a couple of pages of the sports.Usually the scores/standings recap and any article regarding the local teams, Lions, Whitecaps, Canucks. I need to look at something while im on lunch. God forbid I have to talk to my co-workers while on lunch. 

2 minutes ago, homersexual said:

Sports only takes up about 1/6th of the paper, and even with that, I only look at maybe a couple of pages of the sports.Usually the scores/standings recap and any article regarding the local teams, Lions, Whitecaps, Canucks. I need to look at something while im on lunch. God forbid I have to talk to my co-workers while on lunch. 

What do you do with the paper when you are done eating?  :)

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What do you do with the paper when you are done eating?  :)

As much as I should wipe my a$$ with it, it is a company lunch room paper so it stays in the lunch room for others. I actually read all 4 local dailies. Sun, Province, 24 and metro. I am well informed!

3 minutes ago, homersexual said:

As much as I should wipe my a$$ with it, it is a company lunch room paper so it stays in the lunch room for others. I actually read all 4 local dailies. Sun, Province, 24 and metro. I am well informed!

You could do both: the wiping, and then leave it for the others.  :lol:. If the paper can smear our team, we can....

Just now, Devon Jade said:

What's a newspaper?

OMG!  That, sir, is HILLARIOUS.  thank you.  Where is my medication.  Uh oh!  Where's the Province?  I do believe I need to wipe.  Laughing too hard does that to us weak boweled elderly. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OMG!  That, sir, is HILLARIOUS.  thank you.  Where is my medication.  Uh oh!  Where's the Province?  I do believe I need to wipe.  Laughing too hard does that to us weak boweled elderly. :lol:

It won't be long before kids will be shocked to learn that Disney wasn't the creators of Star Wars.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I laughed.  JV is a pro now, and open to criticism.  The Province can print what they see as okay to print.  If we were extremists, someone would get (12 what?) for doing Botchford.  Fortunately, we live in the best country, and cheer for the team that represents the best city in the world, where we follow rules of modern democracy.  It's okay to laugh, even if a joke may be somewhat distasteful. iMHAO

Virtanen is a pro but when one dons the colours of our nation are they not a volunteer doing a service unto the country?

7 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

As you all know, The Province, a local newspaper came out with an outrageous and disgusting news article blaming Virtanen about the WJC loss.

Im going to be honest, I just saw the headline not the full story but it is my opinion that it is malicious. Virtanen did not have a good tournament but so does most of the team. 

With this article, most of Canada will hate the Canucks more, so I propose, we boycott buying the newspaper until they apologize to Jake and Canucks fans.

Who's with me?

I just read the article.  Botchford never said it was JV's fault for losing the game to Finalnd.  This is what he said "You can make a strong case those penalties are what cost Team Canada, the first of which pretty much derailed what looked for while to be a Canadian locomotive".  There are very few hockey fans that watched the WJC in Finland who would say JV had a good tournament.  IMO he had a poor tournament.  I have said a number of times he isn't NHL ready and needs a year in the AHL to learn the pro game.  That will be next season as he cannot be sent to the AHL until the year he turns 20.  That is this year - 2016.  Time will tell if he will make it as a regular in the NHL.  Finally, I am not with you - you appear to shoot first and ask questions (read the article) later.

Archived