The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 20 best countries in the world

higgyfan

2 hours ago, inane said:

'Best'?

LOL I open the article, it's from the 'Reputation Institution'. 

I wonder if they give out awards for excellence in the field of being awesome too. 

Having a good reputation in the world is not a bad thing, especially if you want to travel.  Of course, as a Canadian, I recommend we stay away from Australia.  They think we're all a bunch of hosers.

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

Or do you believe the lies Harper told you......

Well I know that because of the Liberals I have taken a pay cut.  Not that I would care so much if it didn't cost the taxpayer a tonne of money overall.  Though that really has nothing to do with this thread. So Canada is number 1 despite the fact we were led to believe we were dropping like a stone on the world stage because of Harper.  So who was lying?

12 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Example of American arrogance.  Being approached by an angry one abroad, because I had a Canadian flag sewn on my backpack.

"Grrr, git that off, you traitor!  Be proud of where you're from!"

"I am."

"Whaddaya mean?"

"I'm from Canada, dumbass."

"No yer not, traitor."

Frack me...

Where the hell were you for that to happen? A drunken hostel party? Or was he some madman on the street?

You probably won't find much difference in the quality of life through the top 10-15 countries.  There will be subtle differences, maybe one country has better healthcare, one has better education, but overall they will be pretty interchangeable.

Still very happy to know that we made it, but I think that for all the complaining we do we all know how lucky we are.

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Having a good reputation in the world is not a bad thing, especially if you want to travel.  Of course, as a Canadian, I recommend we stay away from Australia.  They think we're all a bunch of hosers.

Not my point, the reputation institution?? Who would take that seriously? 

16 minutes ago, inane said:

Not my point, the reputation institution?? Who would take that seriously? 

The naming of the company is incredibly cringeworthy and I'm sure the poll may or may not be the most scientific, but I don't think the results are necessarily untrue. On most objective metrics (low crime, prosperity, freedom, etc.) all of the countries named are among the best in the world.

13 minutes ago, etsen3 said:

You probably won't find much difference in the quality of life through the top 10-15 countries.  There will be subtle differences, maybe one country has better healthcare, one has better education, but overall they will be pretty interchangeable.

Still very happy to know that we made it, but I think that for all the complaining we do we all know how lucky we are.

Outside of Canada and the U.S. the average person's effective buying power is quite low however. You'd have to make good money to live what we'd consider an average middle class lifestyle.

12 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Well I know that because of the Liberals I have taken a pay cut.  Not that I would care so much if it didn't cost the taxpayer a tonne of money overall.  Though that really has nothing to do with this thread. So Canada is number 1 despite the fact we were led to believe we were dropping like a stone on the world stage because of Harper.  So who was lying?

You're basing this off of a poll done by a place called the reputation institute or some such bull droppings.

Take one look at the real international stage and yes, we've dropped indeed.  We're still a nice place to visit, we've nice social programs and on paper we're a darling when compared to our neighbours to the south.

but it really isn't a nice place to try and live anymore, and blaming the Liberals for something like that after 2 whole months in office is really very poor.  So poor in fact I will use some real Conservative advice for you.  

If you don't like it move, or find a better job.  Don't whine about it and don't blame the management

12 minutes ago, Electro Rock said:

Outside of Canada and the U.S. the average person's effective buying power is quite low however. You'd have to make good money to live what we'd consider an average middle class lifestyle.

Please post facts for that.  because you say buying power, the smarter person knows for a fact you mean consumer identity, which is to say credit driven consumer economy.

Buying power means the ability to buy, not purchase via credit.  Outside of canada and the US in the G-20; we're not even in the top 10

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Please post facts for that.  because you say buying power, the smarter person knows for a fact you mean consumer identity, which is to say credit driven consumer economy.

Buying power means the ability to buy, not purchase via credit.  Outside of canada and the US in the G-20; we're not even in the top 10

I'll let Captain Obvious handle that, just compare the cost of just about anything in those countries, then compare it to the average after tax income, done.

Admittedly I don't know about Singapore but I've lived in Europe, have many relatives there, and can tell you that living there makes Vancouver look inexpensive in comparison.

23 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Hmm I wonder why Singapore made that list, not like I've been there but it doesn't seem too appealing to me.

Form what I remember, it's a major business hub in Asia, clean (strict enforcement of pollution laws, use of reclaimed water, etc), and advanced (top rated airport, top rated airline, engineering marvels including the Petronas Towers and the Marina Bay Sands).

1 hour ago, Haikara said:

Form what I remember, it's a major business hub in Asia, clean (strict enforcement of pollution laws, use of reclaimed water, etc), and advanced (top rated airport, top rated airline, engineering marvels including the Petronas Towers and the Marina Bay Sands).

Petronas Towers are in Kuala Lumpur.

I've been to Singapore. It's boring as shart. Just a big boring western city in the horrible heat. 

7 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

I'll let Captain Obvious handle that, just compare the cost of just about anything in those countries, then compare it to the average after tax income, done.

Admittedly I don't know about Singapore but I've lived in Europe, have many relatives there, and can tell you that living there makes Vancouver look inexpensive in comparison.

Very true..

I have noticed that Canada, USA, UK, and maybe Australia have it good in terms of consumer buying power.

These countries have decent wages and relatively low taxes compared to say the Scandinavian countries or even Switzerland where they have high wages,high taxes, and high living costs... 

Simple things we take here for granted are much more expansive there.. like electronics, food, etc..

It's even worse in places like India or China where one has to work 300+ hours to afford an iPhone 6.. Which essentially means no chance of ever buying it unless you want to not eat for awhile or sleep on the streets.. 

On 1/5/2016 at 2:27 PM, Tre Mac said:

Hmm I wonder why Singapore made that list, not like I've been there but it doesn't seem too appealing to me.

In the article given, take talked about reputation scores. Not sure entirely sure what that actually constitutes, but when I visited recently I saw many mainland Chinese and many other foreigners there. They chose to go there as it is economically vibrant and education is very good. On the other hand, in general, the people there aren't too friendly. 

Archived