The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Avalanche D Brandon Gormley

86Viking

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

You're acting like we let Doughty or Letang go for free. The fact is, Gormley and Rundblad were not the answers, as much as you are mesmerized by the fact that they were former first round picks.

They were unclaimed for a reason - by everyone. Last time I checked, the rest of the Pacific division did too (and they're all doing worse than us, except LA). 

They weren't gonna be difference makers. As good as Pedan was for us, he isn't getting playing time. You're simply making it harder for these kinds of players in your system to make it through the bigs. They've done their time. Has Gormley or Rundblad done that?

No I'm not hung up on the first rounder im hung up on the fact they were  free defencemen . Yeah pedan who Willie won't play might Be as good or better but these are young guys that come at no cost or risk and play a position that this team is horrendously weak at ( depth wise)whats the harm in picking up a guy with no term that doesn't play on the fourth line which seem to be Nonis oops I mean bennings  love. 

The team has no depth at defence none, either of theses two guys would have upgraded at the very least the depth. that's all I'm saying I know neither is a game changer it's just about building  depth with no risk. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Why trade a 7th round pick for a guy Benning could have picked up for free? 

Because if we picked him up we wouldn't be able to send him to Utica without waiving him again.

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Because if we picked him up we wouldn't be able to send him to Utica without waiving him again.

is Gormley any worse than Weber or Biega? take Gormley and waive one of those two guys. Biega in my opinion would pass waivers. other teams have similar players. 

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

is Gormley any worse than Weber or Biega? take Gormley and waive one of those two guys. Biega in my opinion would pass waivers. other teams have similar players. 

Biega is waiver exempt. Hasn't played enough games. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Gormley could very well be worse. Since he can't even make ARZ or COL, what makes you think he would be any better here? Over guys who know the system and have been playing in it for a few years to varying degrees of success.

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Gormley could very well be worse. Since he can't even make ARZ or COL, what makes you think he would be any better here? Over guys who know the system and have been playing in it for a few years to varying degrees of success.

yes. but at least he's still relatively young. with Biega and Weber. you know what your getting and no more than what they're offering. they've peaked. what you see is what you get. but with Gormley. he's still young. there's still some time to turn his game around. I guess Benning didn't see it being worth the time or the risk. which is fine. moving along. 

4 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Biega is waiver exempt. Hasn't played enough games. 

?

Biega signed his entry level contract in 2010 at the age of 22.  His waiver eligibility was 3 years or 70 NHL games.  He doesn't have the games but he does have the years and exemption requires he meet both criteria.  He looks waiver-eligible to me.. 

Further, according to the Canucks' news releases he was waived on October 5, 2015, which seems inconsistent with him being exempt.  http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781748

Since the start of the season, he's played 16 NHL games.  Once he is waived he's exempt for 10 games or 30 days on an NHL roster, whichever comes first.  He no longer is eligible on that score either.

Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Wasn't Biega brought up as an injury replacement? I remember something about that being waver exempt? I could be wrong...................anyone know if that is possible?

You're right that Biega was brought up once under emergency conditions.  That was on November 8.  http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=786956 He was reassigned to Utica on November 13.  http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=787784

He was then recalled to the Canucks on December 1 (http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=790447) and has been with them since.  He's over the 30 days and over the 10 games he'd have to be under to still be exempt following his October 5 waivers.

The emergency on November 8 was that the Canucks were down to 5 healthy d-men (under 6 qualifies as an emergency.)  That wasn't the case December 1.  Pedan was already in Vancouver and injury got the Canucks down to 6 d-men.  In fact, Pedan was reassigned to Utica the next day, December 2.

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Here we go again.

A guy that is Dazzled by someone who has an opinion different than his.  We should have taken a crack at Petter Granberg or Rundblad. Weber has zero goals and 4 points in 32 games getting PP time. We need even just OK options. Just an opinion.  I personally would have passed on Gormley at this stage.

I had met AHL players from Portland who strongly believed Rundblad was an NHL level talent. Obviously it has not panned out.

It's okay to have an opinion, but EXPECT that an opinion will be challenged. That is all.

Here's my opinion, from what I've seen of him, he's slow and soft for the NHL. Statistically, he's produced nothing to suggest that he's this magical 1st round, can't-miss defenseman that everybody else is creaming about. People like to bring up that he was a 1st round pick, but teams like Ottawa and Chicago have dumped him, especially having paid an expensive price to get him. One poster said that Rundblad was the worst piece in ALL the transactions involving him.

He's produced AHL numbers, so he is not a talentless hack. His game just doesn't translate into the NHL, for whatever reason.

Stop crying about hearing facts that you don't want to know about. Gormley and Rundblad weren't going to do anything for the Canucks.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yes. but at least he's still relatively young. with Biega and Weber. you know what your getting and no more than what they're offering. they've peaked. what you see is what you get. but with Gormley. he's still young. there's still some time to turn his game around. I guess Benning didn't see it being worth the time or the risk. which is fine. moving along. 

This is probably the flimsiest reason for picking up someone, considering you haven't seen him play.

Biega is a very good defenseman. If he gets waived, he's gonna get claimed. He's played far too well to not get claimed.

Archived