The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal)A quick turn around

So here is my long winded story of how I would approach this upcoming trade deadline and off season.

Trade Deadline

Deal #1

Edler and Vbrata (retained salary) to the Panthers for Gudbranson and a 2nd round pick

Spoiler

Why Panthers do this?

Panthers have right handed D in Petrovic and Ekblad.  They are taking a hit in the summer as two top 4 left handed D, Mitchell and Campbell who will be 39&37 at the end of the season are both UFA's.

Edler becomes there replacement and fills in that gap.  Next year the Panthers have the following as their top 4.

Edler Ekblad

Kulikov Petrovic 

They'd still have cap savings (6.39) from dumping both Mitchell and Campbell for Edler, and an additional 2.5 saved from Gubranson, meaning they'd have 8.9 million total saved, enough to be in the market for another D if they wanted. 

Panthers are a known team to be in the market for a goal scorer.  They are also a team that doesn't get many shots even durting in their winning streak they haven't been getting many shots,  they are also looking for goal scoring.  Vbrata shoots from everywhere and is a known goal scorer, two bird, one stone.   

Both Vbrata and Edler are two pieces that fills current and future holes for the panthers, Sure it costs them a young D, but Edler isn’t that old either.  We need a right handed shot, they need left. With Ekblad, Edler doesn’t have to be that go to guy and his play likely picks up to where he is comfortable again.

Why Canucks do this?

We need another top 4 RHD. One with size is ideal. After tanev we don't have much and our only real prospect (subban) is a ways away.  We complain about Weber, but that's because we have no other right handed shots.  Gudbranson fits this spot.  He's young enough to grow with our young core and good enough to slide into our top 4.  Looking ahead into the draft this year, it is loaded with left handed shots.  Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi, Bean.  Fabbro is the best right handed option.  Looking to the UFA's this year and Yandle, goligoski are left handed shots.  It's much easier to pick up a left handed D. 

Moving Edler would mean we lose a big minute muncher...This season..but we likely pick higher improving our chances for Juolevi or Sergachev.  Moving Edler saves us cap and allows us even more $ to be a big player In the off season, so we can go after a top 4 left handed replacement (Yandle).  And finally we also start to build our D core to match our young forward core..

The only hang up here is would Edler waive his NTC. Sure two years ago it was rumoured he said no, but things have changed, new mgmt, new direction with the team, different roster.  I have a hard time believing a player wouldn't lift the clause if the team is willing to work with the player to find a suitable team.  Aka, i'm going down with the ship, Bieska.  At least he's familiar with Luongo and Mitchell.

Deal #2

Hamhuis + Tryamkin + conditional CBJ 2nd round pick (becomes a 3rd , 2016 if caps make it past the 2nd round) to the capitals for Bowey + Laich (cap dump)

Spoiler

Capitals will be in the market for a depth left handed shot.   Last year they picked it up Gleason.  Currently the Capitals have a log jam on the right side of their D core.  Carlson, Niskanen and Orlov.  Right now all three of those players are ahead of Bowey on the depth chart.   Both Niskanen and Carlson are locked up long term.  Orlov is a RFA this summer, and he becomes the question mark but is likely to resign.  On the left size Orpik has been out, but is ready to return to the line up soon.  Alzner is a strong top 4 leaving Chorney and Schmidt as solid depth players (with Schmidt having some upside).  With that all said, it’s well known that the caps will be looking to upgrade before post season.   

The other thing the caps are going to be looking for is cap space.  Laata, Wilson, Johanssen, Orlov are all due for raises, and in the following year Kuznestov is due for a huge raise.  With the CND dollar being so weak, the cap is likely to not rise near as much as was expected, the caps are going to be looking to open up some space, while still improving their team.   Dumping Laich helps open up that space.    

This is where the deal comes in.  Hamhuis is UFA. Hamhuis not having term, works to the benefit of the caps.  He gives the caps an upgrade for their playoff run and can come off their books next season if they choose.  Tryamkin helps replace the D depth pool and adds size to the cap as Orpik will be 38 at the end of his (3 year remaining deal).  Tryamkin also has the Russian influence and could fill into the caps depth as early as next season.  He does have potential to be a solid NHLer as well.  The pick becomes added insurance.  Caps have yet to make it past the second round since drafting Ovi.  This is a team desperately pushing to have some playoff success.  An conditional pick adds value to the rental deal.

Another thing to note is.  Caps really don’t have any need for our young forward prospects.  They are loaded with young talent, and anything we have to offer them really isn’t a upgrade.  Wilson, Laata, Burakovsky, Johanssen, Vrana, Kuznetsov are all under 25 (imagine that team with Forsberg still). Backstrom, Ovi, Oshi are under 30. 

Canucks get a stud right handed D prospect, since out right handed pool is extremely weak.  He’s also close to being NHL ready and would likely fill in our top 6 next season.  Canucks will have the cap room to eat a bad contract, at the price of a, A prospect. 

Deal #3

Prust + Weber to the predators for 3rd round pick

Draft Day

Deal #1

Trade Burrows (retained cap) + Kenins to Ottawa for 3rd round pick

Canucks would have 1st, 2nd(2X), 3rd(3X), 4th, 6th, 7th(2X).

Draft Sergachev or Juolevi in the first round.

UFA

Sign Lucic

Sign Yandle

Bring Rodin over

To start the next season, I would look at starting McCann and Virtanen in the AHL, letting them play top line minutes alongside of Shinkaruk.  That would give Canucks some time, to not rush players but also to see how Rodin, Grenier (no longer waiver exempt) and Etem fill into a full time role on our roster.

2016-17 roster

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Lucic Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Vey Dorsett

Grenier

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Bowey

Pedan

Miller

Markstrom

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

2016-17 roster

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Lucic Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Vey Dorsett

Grenier

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Bowey

Pedan

Miller

Markstrom

I like the roster except we need a good faceoff guy as 4C over Vey as possibly Virtanen over Rodin to start anyway... 

Gudbranson is a Tallon favorite. I have seen first hand that when Tallon falls in love with a player, the likelihood of a deal around that player becomes incredibly slim. Gudbranson has also been stellar this year, and is much younger than Edler. He fits Florida's young core of Ekblad, Bjugstad, Barkov and Huberdeau much better than an aging Edler. They would deal Petro before they move Guds.

Assuming the Caps want Hamhuis they will likely offer a 1st. Adding additional assets on top of him likely won't entice them to make that trade. CBJ's 2nd will also likely be a 2018 pick making it less valuable to the Caps. Keep it simple Hamhuis for a 1st.

The rest I think looks fine.

So on the way out are:  Edler, Vrbata, Burrows, Kenins, Prust, and Weber from the current roster

In are:  Gudbranson, Laich, and I assume Bowey stays in the minors for now

What does our current lineup look like while Henrik and Sutter are out?

Sedin-McCann-Hansen

Baertshi-Horvat-Virtanen

Etem-Vey-Laich

Gaunce-Cracknell-Dorsett

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson

Bartkowski-Biega

Are you sure you don't want us to tank? LOL.

2016-17 roster
Sedin Sedin Hansen
Lucic Sutter Rodin
Baertschi Horvat Etem
Gaunce Vey Dorsett
Grenier

Yandle Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Sbisa Bowey
Pedan

Miller
Markstrom

Virtanen, McCann and Boeser don't make the team. Gaht it.

Just now, Me_ said:

2016-17 roster
Sedin Sedin Hansen
Lucic Sutter Rodin
Baertschi Horvat Etem
Gaunce Vey Dorsett
Grenier

Yandle Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Sbisa Bowey
Pedan

Miller
Markstrom

Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Boeser don't make the team. Gaht it.

Horvat is on the 3rd line.

Id make the deal for Gudbranson.

Trading Miller is an optional thought at draft table.

let everything else go to attrition,. Ice our current prospective team. Sign Lucic and Buff as UFA's.  

We keep our prospective team and if we do move anyone else, its for draft picks.  Keep the developing system alive.

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

2016-17 roster
Sedin Sedin Hansen
Lucic Sutter Rodin
Baertschi Horvat Etem
Gaunce Vey Dorsett
Grenier

Yandle Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Sbisa Bowey
Pedan

Miller
Markstrom

Virtanen, McCann and Boeser don't make the team. Gaht it.

I really don't expect Boeser to make the team next year either.  Doubt he signs a contract and leave university at 19 years old, because he would have to play in CHL if he doesn,t make the team.  Doubt the team signs him during training camp and thus guaranteeing him a spot in the Canucks.

Reasonable, but I don't think we quite get enough back in the Gudbranson deal, especially with us retaining salary for them on Vrbata. It has the right elements though.

I'd think the Capitals are more likely to move Orlov (and avoid some of that cap pinch) than move on from Bowey. They might like Tryamkin, but I'm not sure if they'd have too much worry over Hamhuis and his injury as a pure rental.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So here is my long winded story of how I would approach this upcoming trade deadline and off season.

Trade Deadline

Deal #1

Edler and Vbrata (retained salary) to the Panthers for Gudbranson and a 2nd round pick

Reveal hidden contents

Why Panthers do this?

Panthers have right handed D in Petrovic and Ekblad.  They are taking a hit in the summer as two top 4 left handed D, Mitchell and Campbell who will be 39&37 at the end of the season are both UFA's.

Edler becomes there replacement and fills in that gap.  Next year the Panthers have the following as their top 4.

Edler Ekblad

Kulikov Petrovic 

They'd still have cap savings (6.39) from dumping both Mitchell and Campbell for Edler, and an additional 2.5 saved from Gubranson, meaning they'd have 8.9 million total saved, enough to be in the market for another D if they wanted. 

Panthers are a known team to be in the market for a goal scorer.  They are also a team that doesn't get many shots even durting in their winning streak they haven't been getting many shots,  they are also looking for goal scoring.  Vbrata shoots from everywhere and is a known goal scorer, two bird, one stone.   

Both Vbrata and Edler are two pieces that fills current and future holes for the panthers, Sure it costs them a young D, but Edler isn’t that old either.  We need a right handed shot, they need left. With Ekblad, Edler doesn’t have to be that go to guy and his play likely picks up to where he is comfortable again.

Why Canucks do this?

We need another top 4 RHD. One with size is ideal. After tanev we don't have much and our only real prospect (subban) is a ways away.  We complain about Weber, but that's because we have no other right handed shots.  Gudbranson fits this spot.  He's young enough to grow with our young core and good enough to slide into our top 4.  Looking ahead into the draft this year, it is loaded with left handed shots.  Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi, Bean.  Fabbro is the best right handed option.  Looking to the UFA's this year and Yandle, goligoski are left handed shots.  It's much easier to pick up a left handed D. 

Moving Edler would mean we lose a big minute muncher...This season..but we likely pick higher improving our chances for Juolevi or Sergachev.  Moving Edler saves us cap and allows us even more $ to be a big player In the off season, so we can go after a top 4 left handed replacement (Yandle).  And finally we also start to build our D core to match our young forward core..

The only hang up here is would Edler waive his NTC. Sure two years ago it was rumoured he said no, but things have changed, new mgmt, new direction with the team, different roster.  I have a hard time believing a player wouldn't lift the clause if the team is willing to work with the player to find a suitable team.  Aka, i'm going down with the ship, Bieska.  At least he's familiar with Luongo and Mitchell.

Deal #2

Hamhuis + Tryamkin + conditional CBJ 2nd round pick (becomes a 3rd , 2016 if caps make it past the 2nd round) to the capitals for Bowey + Laich (cap dump)

Reveal hidden contents

Capitals will be in the market for a depth left handed shot.   Last year they picked it up Gleason.  Currently the Capitals have a log jam on the right side of their D core.  Carlson, Niskanen and Orlov.  Right now all three of those players are ahead of Bowey on the depth chart.   Both Niskanen and Carlson are locked up long term.  Orlov is a RFA this summer, and he becomes the question mark but is likely to resign.  On the left size Orpik has been out, but is ready to return to the line up soon.  Alzner is a strong top 4 leaving Chorney and Schmidt as solid depth players (with Schmidt having some upside).  With that all said, it’s well known that the caps will be looking to upgrade before post season.   

The other thing the caps are going to be looking for is cap space.  Laata, Wilson, Johanssen, Orlov are all due for raises, and in the following year Kuznestov is due for a huge raise.  With the CND dollar being so weak, the cap is likely to not rise near as much as was expected, the caps are going to be looking to open up some space, while still improving their team.   Dumping Laich helps open up that space.    

This is where the deal comes in.  Hamhuis is UFA. Hamhuis not having term, works to the benefit of the caps.  He gives the caps an upgrade for their playoff run and can come off their books next season if they choose.  Tryamkin helps replace the D depth pool and adds size to the cap as Orpik will be 38 at the end of his (3 year remaining deal).  Tryamkin also has the Russian influence and could fill into the caps depth as early as next season.  He does have potential to be a solid NHLer as well.  The pick becomes added insurance.  Caps have yet to make it past the second round since drafting Ovi.  This is a team desperately pushing to have some playoff success.  An conditional pick adds value to the rental deal.

Another thing to note is.  Caps really don’t have any need for our young forward prospects.  They are loaded with young talent, and anything we have to offer them really isn’t a upgrade.  Wilson, Laata, Burakovsky, Johanssen, Vrana, Kuznetsov are all under 25 (imagine that team with Forsberg still). Backstrom, Ovi, Oshi are under 30. 

Canucks get a stud right handed D prospect, since out right handed pool is extremely weak.  He’s also close to being NHL ready and would likely fill in our top 6 next season.  Canucks will have the cap room to eat a bad contract, at the price of a, A prospect. 

Deal #3

Prust + Weber to the predators for 3rd round pick

Draft Day

Deal #1

Trade Burrows (retained cap) + Kenins to Ottawa for 3rd round pick

Canucks would have 1st, 2nd(2X), 3rd(3X), 4th, 6th, 7th(2X).

Draft Sergachev or Juolevi in the first round.

UFA

Sign Lucic

Sign Yandle

Bring Rodin over

To start the next season, I would look at starting McCann and Virtanen in the AHL, letting them play top line minutes alongside of Shinkaruk.  That would give Canucks some time, to not rush players but also to see how Rodin, Grenier (no longer waiver exempt) and Etem fill into a full time role on our roster.

2016-17 roster

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Lucic Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Vey Dorsett

Grenier

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Bowey

Pedan

MillerChim

Markstrom

I don't think trading Edler is the answer this season. He likely wants to stay a Canucks for life along with the Sedins, even in a lesser role. Trading him would leave an incredibly large hole in our already abysmal defense core. Rushing Hutton into top-pairing minutes would be unfair, and nobody between Bartkowski, Pedan and Sbisa is close to capable of playing those minutes. It would accelerate the tank, but that hole would be left even after this season. Throwing money at a problem isn't the best way to fix it.

I like the Bowey deal, but I'm not sure if it's enough to get him. Maybe one more later pick would do it. This deal I would be all for though. Hamhuis would likely waive for a shot at the Cup if Benning informs him he is not apart of future plans. I would rather retain salary on Hamhuis and receive and Chimera as the cap dump, as he is a UFA at the end of the year.

Sure. Trade Prust and Weber for whatever we can get. Free depth for the Playoffs.

If Burrows cannot get at least a 2nd or a prospect equivalent, then I think it's better if he stays. He is a great veteran presence in the room and truly cares about his teammates. Maybe look for a deal at the deadline next year or in the offseason. Also, if we have all those later picks, I would like to us package them up to move up the highest pick possible. We might be able to move into the top-10 by moving 5 later round picks. Imagine walking out of the Draft with 2 of Fabbro, Sergachyov and Juelovi.

In the offseason, we have to resign Baertschi, Etem, Cracknell, Pedan and Biega. Bartkowski and Vey should also get looks as well. That takes up about half of our cap space. From there, defense is our biggest need. Yandle would be a great addition to our blue line, but I don't think his contract would be worth it. We need to be freeing up as much cap as possible over the next 2-3 years. I would only look at Lucic if he agrees to less than 4.5 million for no longer than 4 years.

First off, excellent post ForsbergTheGreat.  Well thought out, well reasoned, well written.

With that said, I would be willing to do both the Washington and Florida deals however I'm not sure either the Caps or Preds would trade their top prospect without getting blown away by a deal.  Gudbransson isn't too much worse than Edler right now, and he's in the core age bracket with guys like Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad.  I just don't see Tallon parting with him.  As for Bowey, I think it's possible, however with Hamhuis being injured and a UFA, his value must be a lot lower than a couple years ago.  I honestly think the conditional pick would need to be a first rounder if they don't get past round 2.

Since we are rebuilding, there is little to no chance Yandle would sign here.  Might as well stay with/go to a contender.  Maybe Lucic wants to come home, but I doubt it for a rebuild.  Also, LA gave up a first rounder and Martin Jones for him so I doubt they easily let him walk away.

I'd be more than happy if Benning pulls this off.  I just don't think any of it would quite be good enough to happen.

1 hour ago, underrated said:

First off, excellent post ForsbergTheGreat.  Well thought out, well reasoned, well written.

With that said, I would be willing to do both the Washington and Florida deals however I'm not sure either the Caps or Preds would trade their top prospect without getting blown away by a deal.  Gudbransson isn't too much worse than Edler right now, and he's in the core age bracket with guys like Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad.  I just don't see Tallon parting with him.  As for Bowey, I think it's possible, however with Hamhuis being injured and a UFA, his value must be a lot lower than a couple years ago.  I honestly think the conditional pick would need to be a first rounder if they don't get past round 2.

Since we are rebuilding, there is little to no chance Yandle would sign here.  Might as well stay with/go to a contender.  Maybe Lucic wants to come home, but I doubt it for a rebuild.  Also, LA gave up a first rounder and Martin Jones for him so I doubt they easily let him walk away.

I'd be more than happy if Benning pulls this off.  I just don't think any of it would quite be good enough to happen.

Good points, thanks for the opinion.

I’m in the mind that the Edler deal would make Canucks defense a wash.  Edler goes out but Gudbranson and his 20 min/game help reduce that hole.  Rather than having one solid pairing Tanev/Edler, we’d split it to two lines with Tanev leading one and Gudbranson leading the other.   Our left side would take a bit of a hit, but ideally we wouldn’t put Hutton into a spot he’s not ready to handle.  We’d still have Bart, Sbisa, Hutton and Pedan for the remaining 21 games to finish the season off.  

The biggest area of need in my mind is a right handed top 4 D.  A young D (22-25) that can grow without new core.  The reason I put so much emphasis on the right handed shot is that, left handed shots are much more available to acquire (ufa this summer and the 2016 draft), and that our own defensive depth, is filled with lefties.  That’s why I would be comfortable with moving Edler if we can get a piece to fill that future hole.  I can see Edler not wanting to move but I think players are starting to see the writing on the wall.  Bieska, Luongo, Garrison, Kesler, Higgins, likely Hamhuis and Vbrata are all players with NTC that have been moved.  Even home town players have moved on.  It’s a transition and I’m sure Edler is thinking about it.

I see a move like this as a lateral move in with our D core.  But I think we will be picking in the 8-15 range anyways.  If it does make us worse than is just insures that we get one of Sergachev or Juolevi.  Either would make a scary good paring with Bowey in 4 years’ time. 

I don’t think Caps make the deal and give up on a prospect without the much needed cap dump.  Without moving the extra cap next year they are going to have a hard time resigned all their RFA’s, especially with the cap likely not going up.  They would likely end up losing one of their young players.  Chimera still plays an important part on the caps roster, Laich since his injuries has been invisible, but since we are moving out so much cap, It’s something we can afford to take, even if it becomes a buyout. 

Burrows in my mind only has another year left before he retires.  So it’s really up to him whether he wants to spend a year being a mentor or if he’d like a last kick at the can.  His latest interview gave me the impression that he’s ok either way.  I would like a second but don’t know if he’s get it.  I also don’t know if he’s worth the roster spot he would take up.  If he’s on the team that means someone who’s not waiver exempt will likely have to clear to make space.  I don’t know if that’s worth it too risk losing a young player just for ¾ of a season from Burrows. 

Edler (5), Vbrata (5) Hamhuis (4.5), Prust (2.5), Burrows (2.25), Higgins (1.8), Weber (1.5) all gone puts us at around 22.55 opening in cap space.  I think we only likely sign 5 of the 7 players you mentioned with Baertschi being the only real raise so their salaries are just a wash from year to year. (It doesn’t take away from our newly acquired cap)  Sven’s raise + Laich’s cap would give us around 16 mil to go shopping.  I would be ok with throwing 6-7 at Lucic for 4 years, and 5.5-6.6 to years for the same amount of term.  Miller will be coming off the books at the end of next season (or earlier) along with the remaining on Burrows and Higgins. 

1 hour ago, Green Goblin said:

We don't have to trade Tryamkin to get Bowey. I'd rather let Hamhuis walk for nothing than involve Tryamkin in a deal. 

Hamhuis (50% retained)
2nd (unconditional)

for

Bowey

48 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I want to see Tryamkin play in a Canucks jersey first, though. He could turn out to be a good, sizable defenceman for us. 

Tryamkin could be good, but at this point Bowey has more promise and is more likely to be a NHL regular. Tryamkin could become the next chara or he could never come over to the NHL (it's more likely he comes to NA is he's a capital). It's a risky move and although I'd like to see what he can possibly bring to our team, if he's what it takes to get a top right handed prospect like Bowey, then I make that deal.

That line-up isn't any better than what we have right now. Also, what makes you think Rodin is a top 6 guy, when he could barely play a North America style type of game? He never put up impressive numbers in the minors, and if I recalled he had very lacklustre training camps, when he was with us. 

Also I doubt Washington would make that deal, considering Hamhuis' health is still in question and he will most likely be a rental player for them. If Hamhuis were to be traded, teams will probably offer up draft picks, not their top prospects.

11 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Good points, thanks for the opinion.

I’m in the mind that the Edler deal would make Canucks defense a wash.  Edler goes out but Gudbranson and his 20 min/game help reduce that hole.  Rather than having one solid pairing Tanev/Edler, we’d split it to two lines with Tanev leading one and Gudbranson leading the other.   Our left side would take a bit of a hit, but ideally we wouldn’t put Hutton into a spot he’s not ready to handle.  We’d still have Bart, Sbisa, Hutton and Pedan for the remaining 21 games to finish the season off.  

The biggest area of need in my mind is a right handed top 4 D.  A young D (22-25) that can grow without new core.  The reason I put so much emphasis on the right handed shot is that, left handed shots are much more available to acquire (ufa this summer and the 2016 draft), and that our own defensive depth, is filled with lefties.  That’s why I would be comfortable with moving Edler if we can get a piece to fill that future hole.  I can see Edler not wanting to move but I think players are starting to see the writing on the wall.  Bieska, Luongo, Garrison, Kesler, Higgins, likely Hamhuis and Vbrata are all players with NTC that have been moved.  Even home town players have moved on.  It’s a transition and I’m sure Edler is thinking about it.

I see a move like this as a lateral move in with our D core.  But I think we will be picking in the 8-15 range anyways.  If it does make us worse than is just insures that we get one of Sergachev or Juolevi.  Either would make a scary good paring with Bowey in 4 years’ time. 

I don’t think Caps make the deal and give up on a prospect without the much needed cap dump.  Without moving the extra cap next year they are going to have a hard time resigned all their RFA’s, especially with the cap likely not going up.  They would likely end up losing one of their young players.  Chimera still plays an important part on the caps roster, Laich since his injuries has been invisible, but since we are moving out so much cap, It’s something we can afford to take, even if it becomes a buyout. 

Burrows in my mind only has another year left before he retires.  So it’s really up to him whether he wants to spend a year being a mentor or if he’d like a last kick at the can.  His latest interview gave me the impression that he’s ok either way.  I would like a second but don’t know if he’s get it.  I also don’t know if he’s worth the roster spot he would take up.  If he’s on the team that means someone who’s not waiver exempt will likely have to clear to make space.  I don’t know if that’s worth it too risk losing a young player just for ¾ of a season from Burrows. 

Edler (5), Vbrata (5) Hamhuis (4.5), Prust (2.5), Burrows (2.25), Higgins (1.8), Weber (1.5) all gone puts us at around 22.55 opening in cap space.  I think we only likely sign 5 of the 7 players you mentioned with Baertschi being the only real raise so their salaries are just a wash from year to year. (It doesn’t take away from our newly acquired cap)  Sven’s raise + Laich’s cap would give us around 16 mil to go shopping.  I would be ok with throwing 6-7 at Lucic for 4 years, and 5.5-6.6 to years for the same amount of term.  Miller will be coming off the books at the end of next season (or earlier) along with the remaining on Burrows and Higgins. 

That all makes sense from the Canucks perspective, however it's through the lens of the Panthers and Caps GM's perspectives that I think this deal falls through.  I'm all for trading Edler for Gudbranson if we can make it happen, I just don't see Tallon doing that.  It's like asking us to part with Horvat or Virtanen, we would want an exceptional return to even bother considering it.

Archived