The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Higgins | #20 | LW

Toyotasfan

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Higgins will be a bonus call up if we make the playoffs, or if we tank, he may even net something at the deadline with salary retention and as part of a bigger deal.

Yep.  The best thing Higgins and now Prust can do is to play well.  They're auditioning.  As the TDL approaches, teams needing depth for a playoff run may come knocking.  Now they don't have to be called up until the playoffs start and teams aren't restricted by numbers of players on their rosters.  Also, Higgins has a year left on his contract, if a team wants him beyond this season, Van can retain some of the salary (as opposed to when he was on waivers).

This opportunity is why they reported.  I'd be surprised if either of them would subject themselves to riding the busses next season.

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Higgins will be a bonus call up if we make the playoffs, or if we tank, he may even net something at the deadline with salary retention and as part of a bigger deal.

Higgins is done. They will call up other prospects first, unless they get into serious injury problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather move Vrbata at the deadline for a 3rd and bring Higgins up than keep Vrbata. Maybe the AHL will help Higgins get his game together. He had 36 points and +8 with pretty much zero powerplay time last year. Hard to imagine he has really fallen as hard as his numbers indicate this season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I'd rather move Vrbata at the deadline for a 3rd and bring Higgins up than keep Vrbata. Maybe the AHL will help Higgins get his game together. He had 36 points and +8 with pretty much zero powerplay time last year. Hard to imagine he has really fallen as hard as his numbers indicate this season. 

WHAT he was on the 2nd PP unit all of last year. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

You don't say you're trying to trade a player, put him on waivers, demote him to the AHL, then call him back up.

Weber?

I don't generally disagree but a lot depends on injuries and organizational depth. In the case off Higgins you're probably right though. 

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

Weber?

I don't generally disagree but a lot depends on injuries and organizational depth. In the case off Higgins you're probably right though. 

They never said they were trying to trade Weber, that's the main point.  In addition, it was specified that Higgins was sent down in order to make room for the kids; that was not the reason given for Weber's demotion.  Thus, Higgins is not coming back unless all the kids they wanted to give his time to become injured.  i.e. He's not coming back up, he will be gone from the organization.

Nice SH Goal by Higgins tonight in the win. He played hard and looked good. Sounds like he has taken the demotion well and is putting in the effort. His skating looked good to me. I hope he gets traded for his sake.

Is it a a for sure no way we recall him and have him back in our line up? We have weber here yes he never played in utica. I would waive cracknell and have higgins back up here myself. He is a veteran. I know it may be sentimental of me but I think he deserves to be here, this year is his first down year since being a canuck and its very much due to his ankle injury to begin the year.

Sure he has lost a step but he is still effective, he is showing it now, yes its the ahl i know that.

• Upvote 1

Just got back from the Comets game and watched Higgins a lot. I kept saying to my buddy that I don't think he will be down here for long. I can see a playoff team trading for him for depth. He looked really good, has great speed and hands (the shorthanded goal was very nice) and is just an all around solid player. I knows it's the A, but a playoff team that thinks it can go deep would be wise to spend a 6 or 7th rounder on him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Just got back from the Comets game and watched Higgins a lot. I kept saying to my buddy that I don't think he will be down here for long. I can see a playoff team trading for him for depth. He looked really good, has great speed and hands (the shorthanded goal was very nice) and is just an all around solid player. I knows it's the A, but a playoff team that thinks it can go deep would be wise to spend a 6 or 7th rounder on him. 

ya I wonder if the Canucks would ever consider recalling him? we did with weber, albeit he never played in utica. I just think that higgins could still be used. He is 2m less than burrows. We likely move out vrbata, maybe another forward and can also waive or move cracknell also.

I think he will help a team a lot and likely wont cost much at all and we will be retaining. I dont see how the acquiring team really loses much at all by taking a chance on him

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

ya I wonder if the Canucks would ever consider recalling him? we did with weber, albeit he never played in utica. I just think that higgins could still be used. He is 2m less than burrows. We likely move out vrbata, maybe another forward and can also waive or move cracknell also.

I think he will help a team a lot and likely wont cost much at all and we will be retaining. I dont see how the acquiring team really loses much at all by taking a chance on him

Why was Higgins demoted?  To open up a roster spot for the kids.

He's not getting recalled.

18 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

i whole heartedly agree, but why was Weber recalled when we have Pedan who wont be waiver exempt next year so y not spot him in the rest of this season to see what he can do instead of weber?

3 minutes ago, Yotes said:

i whole heartedly agree, but why was Weber recalled when we have Pedan who wont be waiver exempt next year so y not spot him in the rest of this season to see what he can do instead of weber?

Because with Edler down we still had Hamhuis, Hutton, Sbisa and Bartkowski as left shot defencemen. Sbisa and Bartkowski can and have played the opposite side, but why not have another right handed shot as cover versus bringing up yet another left shot D? And obviously since they were concerned about the PP enough to give Weber a twirl there right away (perhaps also due to the loss of Edler) it makes even more sense.

Now Friesen got the call over Higgins, but that's because of a few things. For one, Friesen can play center and could help with Sutter being the injury he's covering for, but he could fill in at wing as needed (and did). They're letting Higgins find his game again (as evidenced by the recent thread posted where he's getting the passion back for playing) and he may still get a call up, but they didn't rush him either. It's pretty clear Weber's game is what it is, so he won't find more of it down in Utica.

18 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's not impossible he gets a call up. If he continues to play well (he's been pretty good from what I can tell) in Utica, an NHL team might want to see him back in a Canucks game before trading for him. He could just be our first call up in the event of injury later in the year too.

15 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

It's not impossible he gets a call up. If he continues to play well (he's been pretty good from what I can tell) in Utica, an NHL team might want to see him back in a Canucks game before trading for him. He could just be our first call up in the event of injury later in the year too.

Considering the Canucks told him to "stay away from the team", a recall would be quite uncomfortable... and embarrassing.