The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

definitely not trying to pump kassian,s tire,s just pointing it out because of an earlier post saying he was sent down thats all.

Personally, I really hope he gets his career together.

When he was here, there were nights when he really looked "on" and was flashing that talent that made him a high draft pick and I found myself thinking, Kassian could easily become the type of player that Bertuzzi was.

Then, there were other nights when he looked completely disinterested, ineffectual and totally floating all over the ice with no real engage level or back check and I found myself thinking, Kassian could easily become the type of player that Bertuzzi was! 

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I really hope he gets his career together.

When he was here, there were nights when he really looked "on" and was flashing that talent that made him a high draft pick and I found myself thinking, Kassian could easily become the type of player that Bertuzzi was.

Then, there were other nights when he looked completely disinterested, ineffectual and totally floating all over the ice with no real engage level or back check and I found myself thinking, Kassian could easily become the type of player that Bertuzzi was! 

Lol so true

3 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I just don't think Benning is qualified to be our GM and nothing says otherwise.    I guess you can go all in on Sven.

But Gillis is overqualified compare to Benning right? 

I guess you went all in on Derek Roy? Or the Weise trade?

Oh and on your previous post. I do love Horvat and Markstrom. But i rather have an established elite goaltending in Schneider who can be your number 1 guy for the next 5 years or so. 

7 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

The 5th isn't going to hurt as much as Kassian.  And yes, it was an absolutely terrible trade.

No it wasn't.

Kassian had alcohol problems and wasn't responding to what the team wanted him to do. Montreal didn't want him either. Put on waivers also.

Edmonton picks him up.

The Grabner trade on the other hand was an 'absolutely terrible trade'. Called it the day that it happened. Grabner + 1st. Terrible.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No it wasn't.

Kassian had alcohol problems and wasn't responding to what the team wanted him to do. Montreal didn't want him either. Put on waivers also.

Edmonton picks him up.

The Grabner trade on the other hand was an 'absolutely terrible trade'. Called it the day that it happened. Grabner + 1st. Terrible.

Pretty much this. Although drafting Grabner wasn't exactly the greatest move either. 

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No it wasn't.

Edmonton picks him up.

Pretty much this. Although drafting Grabner wasn't exactly the greatest move either. 

4 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Gillis definitely had his issues in the trading department. I still think he would have been better suited to doing more of Lindens job and bring in a good horse trader. I think the big failing of Gillis was not recognizing his own limitations. Be and administrator and bring in a good solid horse trader to build the team.

Benning is a good horse trader, but sometimes you're trying to trade a horse that has demonstrated that it just can't pull the cart. Never a good position to be in.

I am happy Kassian is gone. I am happy they are making room for youth and see Prust as the weakest link.

I am happy that we have better players than Prust.

Overall, it sucks on paper to lose Kassian (big forward with potential), Prust (a leader and guy that will stick up for his team), and a fifth.

In reality, Kassian was a distraction, ask Montreal. Two points in 6 games with 18 PIMS (including his game misconduct and numerous stupid penalties) isn't something we can't replace. 

Prust doesn't seem to want to be here. Benning can't help that.

We should be excited that the depth in Utica has surpassed expectations. We aren't handcuffed to make due with players that don't want to be here. Those guys in the AHL would give their shirt off their back to be riding with the Canucks.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If thats right about Higgins,.  What would happen if he retired and was offered a coaching position under T Green, and collected his last year that way. Does he come off books?

If he retires then yes his contract will come off the books. Either way we will have lots of cap room after this season and Higgy only has 1 year left anyhow.

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Well that's pretty sane commentary to some of what's been said above.  But Benning's rationale at the time was that he would protect the kids so they could learn on the job, not that he would be insurance for them if they didn't work out.  You're right though, Prust was decent before the injury.  It's the stuff he said afterwords that wore out his welcome here.

Well I also think a big part of it is this year our team has shown team toughness.  That wasn't apparent last season and Dorsett was completely relied upon in that role.  I think again Prust was just insurance for something that we realized as the season went on, we didn't need.  If he could still skate well, he'd have a roster spot

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Moves like this must put pressure on guys like Burrows. There is a growing line of hungry players who could easily replace his contribution. 

If you really think about it, this waiver and the Higgy one, is a very clear statement to the team and organization as a whole. 

Put out or get out. 

I love it. 

That's what she said

1 hour ago, LarsEller said:

He was a pretty good pick, in hindsight, when you look at the other players drafted in that 1st round.

(See poorly formatted chart below)

There were quite a few misses that round, even though the ones in bold ended up being pretty good to really good. Grabner wasn't a bad pick.

They really mishandled him though. It's kinda like the Sven Baertschi situation really.

1 14 Vancouver Michael Grabner R Spokane Chiefs [WHL] 363 101 65 166 62 2015-16
1 15 Tampa Bay Riku Helenius G Ilves Tampere [SM-liiga] 1 0 0 0 0 2008-09
1 16 San Jose Ty Wishart D Prince George Cougars [WHL] 26 1 5 6 10 2011-12
1 17 Los Angeles Trevor Lewis C Des Moines Buccaneers [USHL] 391 32 52 84 83 2015-16
1 18 Colorado Chris Stewart R Kingston Frontenacs [OHL] 504 136 142 278 585 2015-16
1 19 Anaheim Mark Mitera D U. of Michigan [CCHA]            
1 20 Montreal David Fischer D Apple Valley H.S. (Minn)            
1 21 NY Rangers Bob Sanguinetti D Owen Sound Attack [OHL] 45 2 4 6 8 2012-13
1 22 Philadelphia Claude Giroux C Gatineau Olympiques [QMJHL] 543 158 331 489 256 2015-16
1 23 Washington Semyon Varlamov G Yaroslavl-2 [Russia] 302 0 6 6 16 2015-16
1 24 Buffalo Dennis Persson D Vasteras IK [Swe-1]            
1 25 St. Louis Patrik Berglund L Vasteras IK [Swe-1] 525 121 132 253 172 2015-16
1 26 Calgary Leland Irving G Everett Silvertips [WHL] 13 0 1 1 0 2012-13
1 27 Dallas Ivan Vishnevskiy D Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL] 5 0 2 2 2 2009-10
1 28 Ottawa Nick Foligno L Sudbury Wolves [OHL] 587 122 183 305 503 2015-16
1 29 Phoenix Chris Summers D US National Under 18 Team 70 2 7 9 51 2015-16
1 30 New Jersey Matt Corrente

Archived