The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

YES, look at the 5th rounder JIM BENNING gave up for ADAM MCQUAID. lol   JAMIE BENN

Unearthing a good player in the 5th round is mostly luck. A GM with an eye for talent may raise the odds slightly, but it's still mostly luck.

If the Stars (or anyone else) had even an inkling of how good Benn would become, he would have been picked much earlier (even with questions over if he'd choose baseball over hockey). The Stars had 4 picks before Benn that draft, and 3 of them never played an NHL game. The other was Colton Sceviour - not exactly a first-liner. 

The 11 picks made before Benn (stretching into the 4th round) played a combined total of 3 games. Late picks are basically lottery tickets, and with Benn the Stars hit the mega-jackpot. True, you have to have tickets to win, but chances are, any single pick made that late will have zero effect on your franchise.

33 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Don't hate anyone, just  in agreement abouts 5th rounders and just happened to have an excellent example of this with a 5th rounder attached to Benning quite convieniently.   

I DO NOT think our current Regime from the top to the bottom has shown that they have the ability to do what they hope to accomplish which was to make the playoffs and rebuild on the fly. neither of which is reality.   they are faced with full rebuild now, and the playoffs are already past tense.      Its gonna be really interesting what he does at the deadline , losing hammer and vrbata for whatever he can get scares me because his return record is very poor.  

I'm not so sure any big ticket ufas in the off season are going to come here unless they are overpaided.  

Bennings a league wide push over.   Weisbrods a basketball manager , Linden was a Aquilini PR move, they rid the teams management of talent ,I|E Gillman for YESMEN.    The coaching has failed epically for over a year aside from the goalie coach which is the previous regimes guy.  Newell Brown, AV, rick bowness, and even scott arniel were quality coaches and proven to know their trade at the NHL level, these current guys don't and haven't shown any leading edge qualitys.

There current records from this year are going in the books as some of the worst stats, not something to replicate. 

I wish I was overpaided...

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

Well Mr. Blunt , if benning has 5 or 6 overpaided players on the roster because that's the only way he can lure them here, that's going to affect team depth at the bottom, and in a league of PARITY, it can be the difference of making the playoffs or not.

Anyways we gots 3 weeks to find out whats in store for our team.  Hopefully something good long term, but I'm not holding my breath.

You are holding your baited breath. Waiting patiently to unleash your next maelstrom of woe and misery as soon as a trade or signing occurs.

3 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Well Mr. Blunt , if benning has 5 or 6 overpaid players on the roster because that's the only way he can lure them here, that's going to affect team depth at the bottom, and in a league of PARITY, it can be the difference of making the playoffs or not.

Anyways we got 3 weeks to find out whats in store for our team.  Hopefully something good long term, but I'm not holding my breath.

The irony with this argument is that in order to even get started on rebuilding the team Benning had to get rid of all the bloated contracts of players overpaid by the previous regime, including Gilman, who apparently was the chief contract negotiator I believe. All those overpaid NTC contracts.

Benning is not perfect for sure. He has made some mistakes as all GM's do. But he does seem to have a specific plan for the roster and does what it takes to get the guys he wants. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Coaching I would agree is a little bit lacklustre in some areas. But it is what it is. That will not continue forever either imo.

Canucks have a history of drafting good players in the 5th round so losing a 5th does suck. Especially for a prust thrust that only was good for the first 9 or so games before the injury. Then prust rushed because of fear or losing his spot on the roster. Guess that prust thrust didn't help :/

How many GM's in the league are killing it in the trade department?? There's maybe a 1-sided trade with good players once every few years and Canucks fans want one monthly. Get a life trolls. Benning was handed a team with the cupboard bare and a bunch of verterans with term in their contracts.

Kassian was a dud and was waived by Montreal. EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE PASSED ON HIM FOR FREE! The idiocy of Canucks fans is rediculous.

3 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Gillis was contract neg.    Gillman was basically the guy who bought about advanced stats which is being used by every team in the league right now.   The guy was very smart, not someone to let go.    I think he was let go because he disagreed with some of the current regimes moves.   Not a YESMAN

Wrong again.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/m_page.htm?id=40037

Look at what Gilmanwas responsible for in his role. Then look at what a main issue of this team actually has been - bad contracts with NTC, too long of term, and bloated cap hits.

Gilman is smart and did a good job at some things but to say there were not valid reasons to fire him beyond being a Gillis yes man rather than a Benning yes man is revisionist history at its best.

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

People talk of Kassian like he is now cured of alcoholism or something, Kassian has been "dry" for 4 months now

The early morning incident happened in early OCT, He was immediately placed into stage 2 of the NHL program and after 90 days of sobriety in early JAN he went back to stage one and was placed on waivers immediately.

Odds of staying sober after 90 days of sobriety with assistance from AA or other programs are 5% success after 2 years

Good news is those that stay sober for 4 years have good odds of permanent sobriety.

He has a huge mountain to climb to conquer his alcoholism and has only taken a few steps, I hope he makes it.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here, but if it's that 5% of those that reach 90 days sober will go on to reach 2 years sober, that would be on the extremely high end. It's probably closer to half of that, unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

LOL, Its not like Bennings making it hard to come up with FORUM FODDER.    He is overdue for a homerun though I will give him that, but if he strikes out, I'd WAIVE goodbye to him.

Do you think there's an abundance of idiot GM's in the NHL. Despite what you think, this isn't the 80's where they handed out the job. The GM's nowadays are very intelligent. How many one-sided trades involving good young player happen in the NHL? Having troubles naming some?? That's because they rarely happen. So if you're waiting for Benning to pull something out of his ass...... 

His drafting record will shut trolls like yourself up. 

Archived