The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

We will get a 5th for him on DLD.  Teams would be nuts to not give up a 5th for him to have as depth for the playoffs. ...Its the playoffs, you need to have call ups and depth.  Prust would be a nice option for teams going for it this year.  His value went up the moment he cleared.

Kassian with 3 points in his last 4 games (3 points in 7 with Edmonton).

Give the kid a chance and he'll produce. He did score at a 20 goal pace for the Canucks last season. What more do you want JB? You wanted hitting, you wanted speed, you wanted scoring, you go out and get Etem and Virtanen yet you essentially get rid of Kassian for nothing?

Say what you want about character issues and behind the scenes things, but it's no place for fans and media to comment on when they don't really know what's going on. All I see is on-ice production and that's all we should be judging. Looks like he's cleaned up his game but more than anything else, he is a pretty damn good player for his cap hit and brings a lot to the table.

I'd much rather have Kassian in our bottom-6 right now than wasted Prust, a 5th rounder and Emerson Etem (who cost us a couple of trading chips). This is how an organization loses value.

Good teams simply don't lose prospects and picks like this for worse value.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He was at the beginning of the season. He was not the same player after his injury though.

No one could have predicted how much he would drop off. If he had played at the level he played at in Montreal, a 5th would have been a great deal. Unfortunately it just didn't seem like his heart was in it here.

I admit he was looking great in the first 9 games of the season with McCann but let's be real - he's an ageing pylon. Kassian is a young powerforward with untapped potential and Prust is at the other end of his career. The percentages add up and JB should have known.

I think he brought Prust in to help teach the kids how to play the right way but it just cost our team far too much for half a season of tutelage, whether it was good or not. We already had Dorsett and Kassian, we didn't need a policeman, and in terms of character we have enough of that in the Sedins, Hansen, Burrows, Hamhuis etc. 

Stupid stupid move trading a project guy who was just about to blossom. I know you can only be patient for so long, but 10 goals in 42 games is almost a 20 goal pace. Not sure what else you want. He was scoring at a higher goals per minute clip than most Canucks, as well as playing physically. Exactly the type of player we want and JB preaches, yet it's our GM's bonehead, stubborn idea of a "good team chemistry" that hurts us again. He's trying to build an atmosphere in the locker room with these Prust/Dorsett types of guys and it's hurting our on-ice production because quite frankly they're not skilled enough.

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I admit he was looking great in the first 9 games of the season with McCann but let's be real - he's an ageing pylon. Kassian is a young powerforward with untapped potential and Prust is at the other end of his career. The percentages add up and JB should have known.

I think he brought Prust in to help teach the kids how to play the right way but it just cost our team far too much for half a season of tutelage, whether it was good or not. We already had Dorsett and Kassian, we didn't need a policeman, and in terms of character we have enough of that in the Sedins, Hansen, Burrows, Hamhuis etc. 

Stupid stupid move trading a project guy who was just about to blossom. I know you can only be patient for so long, but 10 goals in 42 games is almost a 20 goal pace. Not sure what else you want. He was scoring at a higher goals per minute clip than most Canucks, as well as playing physically. Exactly the type of player we want and JB preaches, yet it's our GM's bonehead, stubborn idea of a "good team chemistry" that hurts us again. He's trying to build an atmosphere in the locker room with these Prust/Dorsett types of guys and it's hurting our on-ice production because quite frankly they're not skilled enough.

I think you must have missed the part where he had a substance abuse problem. Vancouver was obviously a toxic environment for him where partying became too much of a problem. Believe it or not they probably traded Kassian for his own best interests.

And you can only say a player has "untapped potential" for so long before it's just lost potential. Either way I've moved on and you should too. We have a young powerforward in Virtanen that if he's willing to work hard and keep his nose "clean", he could be a great player for us.

As far as Prust goes, he was not meant to fill the role Kassian did. Prust was here to stick up for our young guys. That's where his game was lacking the most and why he's on waivers. Kassian should not be compared to Prust though, they fill different roles.

27 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Give the kid a chance and he'll produce. He did score at a 20 goal pace for the Canucks last season. What more do you want JB? You wanted hitting, you wanted speed, you wanted scoring, you go out and get Etem and Virtanen yet you essentially get rid of Kassian for nothing?

Say what you want about character issues and behind the scenes things, but it's no place for fans and media to comment on when they don't really know what's going on. All I see is on-ice production and that's all we should be judging. Looks like he's cleaned up his game but more than anything else, he is a pretty damn good player for his cap hit and brings a lot to the table.

I'd much rather have Kassian in our bottom-6 right now than wasted Prust, a 5th rounder and Emerson Etem (who cost us a couple of trading chips). This is how an organization loses value.

Jensen had ZERO value to the Canucks and we were going to let him walk in a couple months. He was at the bottom of the depth chart, wasn't a key piece in Utica, and likely never makes the NHL. Trading him for Etem was a GREAT deal, I don't know how you can think otherwise. We traded off something we had no use for and got a roster player in return. Kassian was a project that wasn't panning out. They spent three years on him and between injuries and off ice behavior, we got a streaky player who was great at times and completely absent otherwise. And just for the record, Kassian's best season in a Canucks jersey was 14 goals and 15 assists. 3rd line Hansen numbers. And that was with the Sedins. It's funny how when a player is gone we remember them as some All Star MVP when it's the furthest thing from the truth. We may have lost a 5th if Prust can't be traded but a 5th is hardly anything to be concerned over. Tiny chance those ever amount to anything more than an AHL lifer.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Ah yes, Jensen is a future super star, so is the 6th round pick.

This trade ended up in both players being waved. Difference is we got games out of Prust and MTL didn't get any out of Kassian. Plus, if that 5th puts up more points than Prust did for us I will be utterly shocked. 

Kassian needed a wakeup call. He was never going to realize his full potential in Van. Every single team in the league passed on him, I don't really think that is a valued asset. His caps not high either. 

So many people who cant understand why Kassian was dealt. Sometimes you have to hit rock-bottom to truly make a change (see intoxicated car accident with under age drinkers).

Kassian was a liability. Prust had a track record of being a great team mate. Somethings dont work out. At least our GM isnt clinging to the drift wood.

1 hour ago, Realtor Rod said:

So many people who cant understand why Kassian was dealt. Sometimes you have to hit rock-bottom to truly make a change (see intoxicated car accident with under age drinkers).

Kassian was a liability. Prust had a track record of being a great team mate. Somethings dont work out. At least our GM isnt clinging to the drift wood.

To be fair I'm pretty sure there's plenty that Downunda can't understand. Let's ignore all the facts and look at his 3 point in 7 games!...

And this isn't the first time I've thought this about his posts. also Deniro no point in trying to sell Virtanen on him, he's more of a Nylander/Ehlers guy if memory serves

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

wow really

so you are more insightful than all of the 30 gms in the league

none of who saw value in kassian when he was traded

and you point to his present production which is solely based on your ability to know what has transpired since the trade

kassian traded, accident, suspension, lengthy stay in rehab, traded again

if kassian flunked out of rehab i doubt we'd be seeing this post from you

he apparently learned something in rehab, and only attended because he was forced to, because he again breached the league's substance abuse policy

likely none of his present circumstances exist without those bits of history

your view adds very little value to the assessment of the kassian situation over the past year

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

wow really

so you are more insightful than all of the 30 gms in the league

none of who saw value in kassian when he was traded

and you point to his present production which is solely based on your ability to know what has transpired since the trade

kassian traded, accident, suspension, lengthy stay in rehab, traded again

if kassian flunked out of rehab i doubt we'd be seeing this post from you

he apparently learned something in rehab, and only attended because he was forced to, because he again breached the league's substance abuse policy

likely none of his present circumstances exist without those bits of history

your view adds very little value to the assessment of the kassian situation over the past year

Funny story about Nhl and substance abuse. An old acquaintance went to visit Bob Probert while he was rehabbing for substance abuse. When he arrived, Bob gives him a beer and they drink. Old friend asks if this is OK as he is supposed to be rehabbing. Bob says "yeah, don't worry about that. It's all for show" 

RIP Bob.. 

On 11/6/2015 at 2:33 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Trades like these and Kassian-Prust really make me trust in Benning's ability to scout players. He's looking for a certain work ethic and defensive responsiblity that is hard to get an appreciation of by just watching a few highlights and reading stats - Benning's done his home work.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Derp.

The percentages add up and JB should have known..

While you're at it, tell us more about Etem.

The guy's pretty much David Booth-- skilled but streaky.  Good for Zack if it lasts, but we'll see.  

Give the kid a chance and he'll produce.  When he was here he played with the Sedins, which is without a doubt the best opportunity to give a young potential power forward to show his stuff.  While he did have his moments, Hank was one of the people critiquing Zack ( (http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/5/26/8642587/canucks-player-autopsy-zack-kassian), saying how he needs to learn to play in his own end and develop overall consistency in two-way play and just bringing it everyday.  He did give Zack the benefit of the doubt by saying that he struggled with this too as a younger player but facts are facts, in that Zack did have prolonged struggles.  Looks like they ultimately got to the point where the team wanted him gone because of them (struggles both on and off the ice) and I don't blame the team for cutting him loose (the return will remain a hot topic, but I digress).     

He did score at a 20 goal pace for the Canucks last season. Most people who played with the Sedins became scorers and/ or posted career years, and what's a pace if you don't sustain it?   

What more do you want JB?  More like Willie also had him on a short leash and didn't trust him (http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/03/canucks-desjardins-kassian-sedins-fluke/), and when your coach and captain both share the same insights about a guy, and then he has personal issues which cause him to become a problem in the room, I'm not surprised then that they wanted him out of there quick after they had given him chances. 

You wanted hitting, you wanted speed, you wanted scoring, you go out and get Etem and Virtanen yet you essentially get rid of Kassian for nothing?  On paper Kass had the assets to deliver hitting, speed and scoring game in game out, but on the ice he simply didn't show it.  During his hot streak in February he put up 7 G, 2 A in 10 games (was +5), yet from November 1 to Jan. 27 (in a stretch of 15 games) he had 0 G, 2 A and was -8.  At least now Etem is willing to leave it all on the ice to keep his chance, and Jake has always been a hard worker and potential power forward, so if management wants potential with effort and good character you can't judge them for cutting a question mark guy out of the equation to give more proven assets a chance to thrive.      

Say what you want about character issues and behind the scenes things, but it's no place for fans and media to comment on when they don't really know what's going on. All I see is on-ice production and that's all we should be judging. Looks like he's cleaned up his game but more than anything else, he is a pretty damn good player for his cap hit and brings a lot to the table.  Ironic how you think you know better than management, coaches and actual professional players of the sport who come to consensus about a guy and how he would either fit in with or negatively affect the culture they want in the room.  Judging by on-ice production alone places the guy in a vacuum and ignores the other important
consequences of a guy's actions in the room, when negatively affected morale can be detrimental to the team (examples include getting rid of Lu when he became a distraction, when the Flyers moved both Richards and Carter on the same day, the Jets trading Evander Kane, even now when Tampa wants to move Drouin).  Just because a guy brought a lot doesn't mean that their team would automatically keep the guy around if what he brought included baggage, and given the trend of moves being made around these problem guys I'm sure you're the one who's missing out on important facts which are considered in the room.  

Again I do wish him the best in both his playing career and in his personal life.    

Good teams simply don't lose prospects and picks like this for worse value.  If anything, getting NHL-caliber assets for fading "prospects" is good asset management (e.g. Mallet for Pedan, Jensen for Etem) as you get a for-sure asset instead of a guy you hope will pan out, and bottom line Zack was one of those guys.    

Archived