The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Frank SeravalliVerified account ‏@frank_seravalli  6m6 minutes ago

#Canucks have assigned forward Brandon Prust to the AHL's Utica Comets. They will have ~$1.5 million on their cap in his buried contract.

The Canucks are now paying and taking a cap hit for

Prust $1.55M, Higgins $1.55M and Luongo $800K to not play on the team

Yeah that hurts, but Aqua realizes he has to suck it up in the short term as the house is cleaned.  Basically one more year then most of the big chaffe is off the books.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He really is developing something that some fans need to sit back and look at from a more than one season perspective. 

Looking at each transaction individually doesn't show the overall plan that's being put into place, and that's what so many seem to miss when they cry, "Only a third for Lack!  Second round picks being given away for prospects!  "Extra" pick given up in trade!  Big contract for Sutter!"  It's all about getting what you need to create the model you want.  Anything outside of that is disposed of, even if just for capspace if necessary.

11 minutes ago, Yotes said:

this probably was posted here, and it is the 4th period afterall but they say washington might have had interest in Prust. SO of course cue the Hamhuis Prust package to washington right?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van160202.html

I can believe contender might have interest in Prust.  However most of them don't have cap space, so they would probably try and dump someone back on JB.  I wouldn't mind till the end of the year, but hopefully no one with extra year on their contract, unless the return is golden.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Hate to say it but he's far more likely of a buyout candidate... 

I thought so a month ago as well, but he really has picked up his game playing with Vey and Etem, and he provides lineup versatility like Hansen.  As well, he is probably one of the few vets they may choose to keep on for what he provides in leadership, as the kids have all commented on what he's brought for them.  He only has one year remaining, and we already have a good amount of capspace coming this year.  But if they figure he's holding up someone's spot (e.g. Shinkaruk) then they may move him alright.

7 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I can believe contender might have interest in Prust.  However most of them don't have cap space, so they would probably try and dump someone back on JB.  I wouldn't mind till the end of the year, but hopefully no one with extra year on their contract, unless the return is golden.

I don't know where we're at cap-wise now, but by retaining salary and bringing in ELC-level callups, we can provide increased flexibility to take on expiring contracts as well, taking back something ugly in return to make deals fit.  Same goes for October should we not use all our cap on UFAs and teams find themselves in compliance trouble, especially if the cap doesn't go up or by much.

JB could have us in a pretty good position to get assets at a discount.

31 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I thought so a month ago as well, but he really has picked up his game playing with Vey and Etem, and he provides lineup versatility like Hansen.  As well, he is probably one of the few vets they may choose to keep on for what he provides in leadership, as the kids have all commented on what he's brought for them.  He only has one year remaining, and we already have a good amount of capspace coming this year.  But if they figure he's holding up someone's spot (e.g. Shinkaruk) then they may move him alright.

That mirrors my thinking as well. I honestly don't mind either scenario. Still, he's not cheap to be playing in your bottom 6...

Then there's the underlined. It's getting awfully crowded without even adding a UFA winger (Okposo, Boedker, Lucic etc)...

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
Shink/McCann, Vey, Etem
Gaunce/Virtanen, Zalewski, Dorsett

Grenier, Kenins

Already two of Shink, McCann, Gaunce or Virtanen will be in Utica despite arguably being good enough to be up on the Canucks (and with more upside than Burr at this point, short of the aforementioned leadership). Unless we're only carrying one spare D, one of Grenier/Kenins will also either be traded or risked on waivers. 

And still, no room for Burrows...

Add in a UFA and...

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That mirrors my thinking as well. I honestly don't mind either scenario. Still, he's not cheap to be playing in your bottom 6...

Then there's the underlined. It's getting awfully crowded without even adding a UFA winger (Okposo, Boedker, Lucic etc)...

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
Shink/McCann, Vey, Etem
Virtanen, Gaunce , Dorsett

Zalewski, Kenins

Grenier down on the farm.

Already two of Shink, McCann, Gaunce or Virtanen will be in Utica despite arguably being good enough to be up on the Canucks (and with more upside than Burr at this point, short of the aforementioned leadership). Unless we're only carrying one spare D, one of Grenier/Kenins will also either be traded or risked on waivers. 

Add in a UFA and...

Made the changes for you. 

I don't think Grenier is going to be picked up. He hasn't really done anything for us. So not sure if any other team will pick him up if he's exposed to waivers. Kenins I think should be kept. He can bring a physical element to the team. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Made the changes for you. 

I don't think Grenier is going to be picked up. He hasn't really done anything for us. So not sure if any other team will pick him up if he's exposed to waivers. Kenins I think should be kept. He can bring a physical element to the team. 

Yeah... I don't agree with most of your changes, especially LW'er Gaunce at 4C but regardless... Still doesn't address where the heck Burrr would slot in.

Just now, J.R. said:

Yeah... I don't agree with most of your changes, especially LW'er Gaunce at 4C but regardless... Still doesn't address where the heck Burrr would slot in.

Well, it really depends on Virtanen's showing in training camp and preseason. If he doesn't show well, send him down to the AHL and work with Green for a bit. 

Ideally. Burr has a good season next season, and he's value bumps up, justifying his contract. Might be able to ship him out at the trade deadline 2017. 

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Hate to say it but he's far more likely of a buyout candidate... 

As a  buyout we pay 1.5mil against the cap for 2 years.... so 3 mil in cap penalties.

If we traded him and retained half his salary we only pay 2.25 in cap penalties 

Also himas a rental at half price at next years deadline is a nice chip.

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

As a  buyout we pay 1.5mil against the cap for 2 years.... so 3 mil in cap penalties.

If we traded him and retained half his salary we only pay 2.25 in cap penalties 

Also himas a rental at half price at next years deadline is a nice chip.

IF, you can find a trade partner. And I don't know, they might take the extra $750k of cap next year with the buy out.

It also doesn't solve the problem of where to play him as I posted earlier:

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
Shink/McCann, Vey, Etem
Gaunce/Virtanen, Zalewski, Dorsett

Grenier, Kenins

Add in a UFA and...

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

IF, you can find a trade partner. And I don't know, they might take the extra $750k of cap next year with the buy out.

It also doesn't solve the problem of where to play him as I posted earlier:

No sense in crippling the team by eating salary longer than one year.  Gillis has already done enough damage.

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

this probably was posted here, and it is the 4th period afterall but they say washington might have had interest in Prust. SO of course cue the Hamhuis Prust package to washington right?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van160202.html

The Caps are at 49 of 50 contracts, and are at the cap apart from the LTI they get from Orpik. I'd have to think they'd want to move someone back our way if they take both Hamhuis and Prust on, and that someone would likely carry some cap with them. Laich is an easy choice from their end - not that we'd take him - but they'd have to move something even if we retain cap in a larger deal like that.

Archived