The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Talking To Media

Boddy604

I hope they trade Miller before the draft, JB said he could have traded him last summer. I'm thinking, with Miller in net, we don't make the playoffs, with Markstrom in net we do, talking about who gets the most starts. If it were me I'd trade Miller at the deadline.

Just now, aliboy said:

I hope they trade Miller before the draft, JB said he could have traded him last summer. I'm thinking, with Miller in net, we don't make the playoffs, with Markstrom in net we do, talking about who gets the most starts. If it were me I'd trade Miller at the deadline.

I'd rather see Miller stick around with Markstrom getting the bulk of the starts next year. Markstrom has looked good but there's no proof he's ready to be a number 1 already. Nucks are gonna be a faster, heavier team next year. We're gonna need reliable goaltending if next year is going to be an improvement over this one.

5 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Agreed. How about Miller to the habs.  Did Price have a setback on his injury rehab ?

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

I'd rather see Miller stick around with Markstrom getting the bulk of the starts next year. Markstrom has looked good but there's no proof he's ready to be a number 1 already. Nucks are gonna be a faster, heavier team next year. We're gonna need reliable goaltending if next year is going to be an improvement over this one.

Not really worried about next years results... It is again a transitional year.  Development year.  Just wanna see the young guns getting increase minutes  / roles and production.  If Miller traded could get us a  1st or 2nd rounder to add to our young core  -  it would be great for us. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not really worried about next years results... It is again a transitional year.  Development year.  Just wanna see the young guns getting increase minutes  / roles and production. 

Yeah. I think having a reliable back end is important though. If Markstrom crashes and burns, it won't matter how well the kids play. That's gonna kill their confidence anyways. If there was a good #2 like Niemi or something available that could be had for less than Miller then go for it. But not if the #2 is Bachman or Cannata.

If we do lose Hamhuis, either at the deadline or in the summer, I would not be shocked if a trade for a proven defensive defenseman does take place.  It really depends on whether they are sold on one of Sbisa, Biega, Bartkowski, Hutton to take the reigns.  But even then we're talking a #3 or #4 guy to come in instead of just letting one of these guys step up.  A lot of uncertainty there, but it is a rebuild.

I really do welcome the drafting and developing of a #1 though.  Fingers-crossed.  

1 minute ago, Boddy604 said:

Yeah. I think having a reliable back end is important though. If Markstrom crashes and burns, it won't matter how well the kids play. That's gonna kill their confidence anyways. If there was a good #2 like Niemi or something available that could be had for less than Miller then go for it. But not if the #2 is Bachman or Cannata.

Agreed. That is what i was thinking. Trade Miller at the deadline for high pick or high end prospect.      We would then sign an career older backup guy to finish the season.   Over the summer find another 2nd tier guy to back up Markstrom next year.

2 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

If we do lose Hamhuis, either at the deadline or in the summer, I would not be shocked if a trade for a proven defensive defenseman does take place.  It really depends on whether they are sold on one of Sbisa, Biega, Bartkowski, Hutton to take the reigns.  But even then we're talking a #3 or #4 guy to come in instead of just letting one of these guys step up.  A lot of uncertainty there, but it is a rebuild.

I really do welcome the drafting and developing of a #1 though.  Fingers-crossed.  

Completely agree. Canucks will need to trade for a proven D-man for next year if we lose hamhuis.    

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Completely agree. Canucks will need to trade for a proven D-man for next year if we lose hamhuis.    

Why?  Elder, Tanev, Sbisa, Bartkowski all have lots of experience.  Plus, Hutton and Tryamkin!  We are going to be GREAT!!!!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why?  Elder, Tanev, Sbisa, Bartkowski all have lots of experience.  Plus, Hutton and Tryamkin!  We are going to be GREAT!!!!

This year we went with 14 forwards 7 d. Won't be surprised if next year we go with 13 forwards 8 D. Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Hutton, Tryamkin, Biega, Pedan/Fedun/Subban, Free Agent.

3 hours ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

I believe GMJB said he gets called up if scoring is lacking from the top 6 so I'm pretty sure that means he will get a chance in the top 6 bud. And if not then it's back to Utica. Only way Shink makes the NHL is in a top 6 role. That's the type of player he is.

Kinda like last time eh bud..he saw about 3-4 minutes of ice on the 4th line...dont believe everything you hear.

At least JB is not afraid to make changes. Sending Prust down, one of his trades, shows he will admit a mistake or a move that didn't pan out, and move on to the next step.  

One of the summer camp interviews, JB and Linden talked about the playoff loss to flames, and said they needed more emotion and bite, and Prust was one of answers.

I just love all the replies I see on this site.  Jim Benning is not going to tip his hand on anything to the media   Not going to happen.  Everyone on here is an amateur, Benning and co. are professionals.  I would go with Benning and what he is doing.

I would rather keep Hamhuis than Weber, Sbisa or Bartkowski.  IMO Sbisa is a 6 or 7 D man.  Vrbata, hopefully will be traded.

Some posters have some very good ideas and most are wanting to  improve the team.  High draft picks are not the key to future success.  Just look at Edmonton.  The key is to finding those players who are picked further down the list and developing them.  The Canucks have not done a very good job in doing this in the past.  Going forward there is some hope about the guys who are in the pipeline.  Travis Green has done a good job in getting players ready for the NHL.  Unfortunately he may not be around after this season.

What the Canucks need and do not have is a super player who can take over a game.  Just look at Chicago and LA for example.

Finally when the Sedins leave, I would venture that none of the players who were on the team in 2011 will still be here.

Archived