The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Talking To Media

Boddy604

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

That is a real joke when you look at what has been done in such a short time already.

All you guys screaming for the vets to go are the same people who complain at what comes back, are the same people who complain about losing games, are the same people who then blame the coach and the GM  - and on and on it goes.

The "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW SOCIETY." Well her's a news flash, it doesn't work that way in sport look at the Oilers and half a dozen other NHL teams. Then look at Florida who have 6 guys over 35 years of age.

We need to be patient and there's no value in saying "I've been patient for 40 years" as the present management and coaches have only been here for just over a year and a half.

I usually don't talk Canucks in the workplace for the same reason. The bandwagon fans with no patience who don't even follow the team all wanting instant results. I find myself saying "oh, you think so?" when my minds screaming "S-T-F-U".

Benning has loaded up our club with whats scout project are likely  2nd and 3rd line prospects   and a few   potential  2nd tier  4-5 D men. 

Wow. Very inconclusive  body of work so far

Time is too early to evaluate  Trader Jim  as a GM

I am hopeful for our draft choices and just happy we didn't deal the picks away like previous managment did at the deadline...

This Trade deadline will be a defining moment for what kind of a GM we have. 

I'm on the fence about what Benning should do. On the one hand, making the postseason would really be beneficial for our young players to understand and experience the postseason play, and how difficult it is to make it to the finals. But if we do that, we don't get a high pick, and our chances of getting that top 3 drops drastically. I've resigned myself to believe that we aren't winning the lottery, and we ain't getting one of Matthews, Laine, or Puljujarvi. But I'm still going to give Benning the benefit of the doubt in terms of what he's going to do at the draft. Nothing is impossible, just depends on what the franchise is willing to do to move up the draft, or make moves. 

Benning has made some mistakes as a GM, but this management has only really been around for about 1.5 years. They need more time than they've got so far. I like how Benning has drafted so far. Development of players, we shall see, that's still up for debate, with the exception of Horvat and so far, Baer. But players like McCann, Virtanen, Brisboise, Boeser, etc. None of those guys have proven anyting at the NHL level yet. I'm hoping they are getting there, though! 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Benning has loaded up our club with whats scout project are likely  2nd and 3rd line prospects   and a few   potential  2nd tier  4-5 D men. 

Wow. Very inconclusive  body of work so far

Time is too early to evaluate  Trader Jim  as a GM

I am hopeful for our draft choices and just happy we didn't deal the picks away like previous managment did at the deadline...

This Trade deadline will be a defining moment for what kind of a GM we have. 

I am inclined to agree that this is Benning's defining moment to see what kind of GM we have on our hands. 

He's also under orders from Aquilini's to make postseason. I think if he had it his way, we'd miss, tank, and draft a special talent. 

For sure no one implied that all vets should be sacked although a few posters did.I for one have just one opinion try recoup value from the current UFA 's by selling them at TDL for picks nothing more nothing less.There are only a couple of real asset value vets that could realize some kind of return, other than that the team is moving along nicely developing an picking up parts along the way .

No one is on the war path for JB skin either expections are high that he will do a great job.Perhaps he may get the job done but jury and judgement day is still at least a year away.One can only hope the team can continue to win better than .500 clip 

I have waited my whole canuck life to win a cup from day one an cannot see this for at least two or three years at the very earliest if JB gets lucky an can continue to do a great job this is possible but not this year .It just happens that alot of game breaker talent is at this years draft we may not dip as low in the standings again for a long while after this year.So I understand rational of some fans who want the Mcdavid type game breaker player whom may be available this year it is tough to watch our middleing team come close but not good enough either way to lose or win.

Canucks fans are patient.

Looks at our clubs history, clearly we are the most patient fans in the league. Who else would love a team that teases us every 10 years with a Cup and then crashes in a flaming car accident of a game 7. 

We are patient.  We are giving Trader Jim a fair shot.   We just scrutinize every deal he makes because we love our club and dream of winning the cup.

This draft runs deep this year and as many picks we can get   / plus  a high first rounder  could make all the difference for the next 10 years of our club.

Players that we lose this summer as UFA's  and vets we bring back for another season and watch their value drop to zero will not help our club long term.

I wonder what we could have traded Higgins for at last years deadline ? Probably a 2nd for sure .     Did we really need to bring him back this year and watch his value drop to zero ?  

Asset management is what makes a club become a Tier 1 club. 

We're unlikely to get a Top-3 pick this year, but I have to trust that being a deep draft, if we walk away with 2-3 picks in the top-40, we can land 2-3 cornerstone pieces upon which to build.

In 2003, you saw players of elite talent taken well after the top-5, so hopefully we come away with great value wherever we draft.

Side note: saw Boeser player the other night on TSN, he had a wicked snipe PPG and I'm really excited for him.

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks fans are patient.

Looks at our clubs history, clearly we are the most patient fans in the league. Who else would love a team that teases us every 10 years with a Cup and then crashes in a flaming car accident of a game 7. 

We are patient.  We are giving Trader Jim a fair shot.   We just scrutinize every deal he makes because we love our club and dream of winning the cup.

This draft runs deep this year and as many picks we can get   / plus  a high first rounder  could make all the difference for the next 10 years of our club.

Players that we lose this summer as UFA's  and vets we bring back for another season and watch their value drop to zero will not help our club long term.

I wonder what we could have traded Higgins for at last years deadline ? Probably a 2nd for sure .     Did we really need to bring him back this year and watch his value drop to zero ?  

Asset management is what makes a club become a Tier 1 club. 

I don't disagree with most of this. But I do have to say one thing:

The Linden-led 94 playoff run was nothing short of magical. Game 7 was a masterpiece of heart and effort and epitomizes the meaning of "leaving it all on the ice".

Looking back on it I remember how crushed I was we lost but I don't remember ever feeling they didn't do the best they could against a vastly superior team in terms of on paper talent.

If our current Canucks played that way and lost in the first round I would feel that way about them too.

2011 was a straight choke job as was every playoff series since.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You may have been "crying" for it all year but if the coach had followed YOUR agenda theses young guys would be so f---d they would be in no fit state to play more minutes now. It's called development.

That's the difference between a coach who knows what he is doing and some random Joe on CDC.:P

You spend so much of your time tearing down other peoples opinions than having any of your own. Don't spend too much time up on that pedestal you've put yourself on. 

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't disagree with most of this. But I do have to say one thing:

The Linden-led 94 playoff run was nothing short of magical. Game 7 was a masterpiece of heart and effort and epitomizes the meaning of "leaving it all on the ice".

Looking back on it I remember how crushed I was we lost but I don't remember ever feeling they didn't do the best they could against a vastly superior team in terms of on paper talent.

If our current Canucks played that way and lost in the first round I would feel that way about them too.

2011 was a straight choke job as was every playoff series since.

Which is why that team even to this day is probably the most beloved Canuck team. They weren't expected to go all the way, but they won with heart, and hard work. 

3 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

It should be the only vision, that and to win a cup. Everything they do should be geared towards that goal.

At the stage the Canucks are at, I don't think they are the same thing. Obviously anything can happen but without elite level talent the Caucks won't win the Cup in the future and the odds are against them doing it now. Scraping by and losing in the first round again isn't progress. 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Which is why that team even to this day is probably the most beloved Canuck team. They weren't expected to go all the way, but they won with heart, and hard work. 

Not to disparage the Sedins at all (they are great leaders and people) but I think until the leadership torch is passed we are unlikely to see that kind of never say die, lead by example, and do anything it takes to win type of play. They are just not that type of player. 

I do do think one of the biggest things that needs to change is that fundamental culture though. That is the key no matter what type of roster they build. The sum being more than the parts type of team identity.

At the very least it will be something different to rally us around.

On 2016-02-03 at 4:29 PM, Mrbigyellowbus said:

That sounds like tank talk to me boys! I love having a gm that changes his plans when situations change. Trader Jim seems to have no ego to feed. 

Amazing to me how many fans are rooting for this team to lose. Anyone of you supporters of the 'tank' going to pay the big bucks to buy tickets to any game this year and watch the team lose? Anyone? Or are you going to all stay home for the next 5 years while the new guys develop?

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not to disparage the Sedins at all (they are great leaders and people) but I think until the leadership torch is passed we are unlikely to see that kind of never say die, lead by example, and do anything it takes to win type of play. They are just not that type of player. 

I do do think one of the biggest things that needs to change is that fundamental culture though. That is the key no matter what type of roster they build. The sum being more than the parts type of team identity.

At the very least it will be something different to rally us around.

I think the Sedins are exceptional players. I think you think so too. But sometimes I feel like European players are often misunderstood. Especially Swedes. They don't demonstrate a ton of emotion (i.e. Sedins, Edler, etc). But I don't think that means that they aren't "never give up" type players. Sedins are extremely competitive players. I really believe that they want to win the Cup as badly as any other NHL Canadian bred and born player. 

I agree with you, though, that the fundamental culture of this franchise needs to change. How do you do that? And does the current management begin to shift that cultural change? Do you need a new coach for that culture to change? Has it changed already? 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the Sedins are exceptional players. I think you think so too. But sometimes I feel like European players are often misunderstood. Especially Swedes. They don't demonstrate a ton of emotion (i.e. Sedins, Edler, etc). But I don't think that means that they aren't "never give up" type players. Sedins are extremely competitive players. I really believe that they want to win the Cup as badly as any other NHL Canadian bred and born player. 

I agree with you, though, that the fundamental culture of this franchise needs to change. How do you do that? And does the current management begin to shift that cultural change? Do you need a new coach for that culture to change? Has it changed already? 

Seems like the culture has already changed a lot. Tshis franchise was all about winning the Cup for the last 10 years or so. And now, it's let the players learn at the NHL level, unlike a  Detroit for example, let's forget winning at all costs and see what happens with the kids in a few years. That's very different. Lat year this team was one of the top team in  the league. What a sharp descent into mediocrity. I can't believe this team is embracing the path of Edmonton and Buffalo. It's going to be some dark years ahead.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I would go so far as to say the Sedins are very unique players in that they are both very competitive and very even-keel. 

Despite what many (idiotic) people say about them, I consider the Sedins to be two of the toughest players in the NHL. The style they play, along with the physical nature that goes along with it, are extremely underrated. These are two very tough men. Throwing hits, fighting, etc are not prerequisites for being tough.

I am in no way doubting their desire or their willingness to do what it takes. I just don't think they have the tool set to "set the tone" in a playoff series the same way that this group obviously needs its leaders to do. A big hit, a scrum, etc. The Sedins lead by scoring. If they aren't there is not a lot of other on ice stuff to rally around.

Obtaining a first liner or a top defenceman prospects are harder to come by and is still possible to have them from later round picks.   The main thing is the development program.  If we have a great development program, we can then develop players to become like one even if they were not projected to be like one.   Remember Edler were hyped to be a top defenceman but failed to be like one and is playing as #2 or #3 on most teams.   He failed to reach because we did not develop him properly to be like one.  

We have a great development coach in Travis Green but I am afraid that he could be poached by other teams if we don't promote him and even if he is promoted to be a Canucks head coach, we are left without a top development coach in the farm system is my biggest concern.   I do not know who will be Utica's next coach and whether he would be a great development coach is another issue. 

Drafting is like lottery because if we pick someone, we hope that player will become a top-tier player for us.  Top 5 picks are not guaranteed that he will become like the first liner or a top defenceman potential.   We should stay on course and hope that we make the playoffs and imo, the playoff is a great development tool for our young player no matter how you slice it by claiming that top 5 pick is better than playoffs.   Our priority should be developing our current prospects to become a top-tier players regardless where they came from. 

A late round pick could be a superstar for us if we got lucky.   Scouting is good as long as we pick right type of player.  We could pick top 5 and could get in a messy situation like Drouin.  If we ever got a top 5 in this year draft and we happen to draft a player like Drouin and were forced to trade him away then this year would be considered a wasted year because we tank on purpose and could potential create a losing culture.  I wouldn't want that, just let the course take care of itself and who knows could surprise us with good things. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I would go so far as to say the Sedins are very unique players in that they are both very competitive and very even-keel. 

Despite what many (idiotic) people say about them, I consider the Sedins to be two of the toughest players in the NHL. The style they play, along with the physical nature that goes along with it, are extremely underrated. These are two very tough men. Throwing hits, fighting, etc are not prerequisites for being tough.

I am in no way doubting their desire or their willingness to do what it takes. I just don't think they have the tool set to "set the tone" in a playoff series the same way that this group obviously needs its leaders to do. A big hit, a scrum, etc. The Sedins lead by scoring. If they aren't there is not a lot of other on ice stuff to rally around.

I think the way they set the tone is different than what most people might imagine, or think. 

They control the play. If that's not setting a tone for a game, not sure what would. 

But I agree. Sedins are very tough players (mentally, and physically). Hank was ironman streak for a number of years, no? I just don't understand how people in other markets just don't respect them. They deserve much more respect than what they've received over the years. Much more. 

The NHL's Feb. 29 Trade Deadline is approaching and teams are making decisions on whether to buy or sell and decide which players can make the biggest difference and hold the greatest value. Check out today's trade rumours and speculation from around the NHL beat.

Czech Up

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Calgary Flames have been busy fielding calls on forward Jiri Hudler.

The pending unrestricted free agent has just six goals this season, but LeBrun says he feels the 32-year-old is unlikely to re-sign with the Flames and would be a good fit for a contending team for the right price.

Hudler has just six goals this season after scoring a career-high 31 last season.

HEY read it and weep. Benning will be out dueled by Hudler and the Flames, because gauranteed he is asking to high or he is sitting there saying we are a competitive team and we will make the playoffs, with invisible Vrbata! EVERY year! this organization never will get it right, seems like Calgary knows what its doing. Last year succesfully moved Glencross and got a 2nd rounder. Compared to us? We kept Mathias, Richardson for what? This year Hudler will be traded because the Flames are smart, regardless of there position, Hudler will be gone and us well? Have you heard any rumors yet? NOPE have you heard any hints yet? NOPE

but what we are seeing is morons coming on team 1040 and trying to convince the fanbase that a 1st round exit is great for developing young talent hahaha! OH keep on paying your puppet alquinni! eg PUPPET number 1 Gary Valk, number 2 etc etc now you know why Patterson got fired because he was a fan at heart who asked the same questions the fans who know hockey ask. 

22 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

At the stage the Canucks are at, I don't think they are the same thing. Obviously anything can happen but without elite level talent the Caucks won't win the Cup in the future and the odds are against them doing it now. Scraping by and losing in the first round again isn't progress. 

I probably was not very clear. The longterm goal should be to win the cup. Making the playoffs kind of goes hand in hand with that. I don't think missing the playoffs should be a goal, but sometimes it is inevitable.  This year might be one of those times and I accept that so long as progress is being made toward the ultimate goal.

Archived