The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Talking To Media

Boddy604

Another reason for JB to be non-commital about whether he's moving Hamhuis and Vrbata is to maintain bargaining power with prospective suitors.  It's all part of the dance.  At this stage, teams are reluctant to make moves that involve cap because for many of them, the margins are very fine.  So it's fine if JB plays hard to get until we get closer to the crunch.

Benning on radio this morning

Omar A ‏@omarcanuck  3m3 minutes ago

Benning says it's hard to trade for defencemen now, so team will need to draft and develop good defencemen. #Canucks

Benning says Shinkaruk "could" get a chance to play w #Canucks. Says if team needs top-6 scoring, he'd be the one called.

Benning says he's talked to some teams on Prust and he's waiting to hear back from one more team on him this morning. #Canucks

Benning asked how he reacts to stats showing #Canucks have 24% chance of making P/O. "I don't pay attention to any of that stuff."

Benning said teams'll be watching Hamhuis but "he's an important guy for us." #Canucks

Benning on if phones ringing on Vrbata Hammer says he's had a couple calls.

Other thing Benning said is they'll be meeting w #Canucks pro scouts in next few weeks to decide on UFAs and where team's going.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

I just listened to an interview with TL who, when asked about the trade deadline, said they are taking it week to week. I find the response very disconcerting but obviously very much in line with GMJB. Obviously they are on the same page but if true, the lack of a long term plan and the determination to implement is disappointing. 'Make the playoffs' is an incredibly narrow vision imo. 

Oh there's a plan.  This is small stuff when you look at the big picture.  Development is King.

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How can you say a 2nd round pick is not much ?   Brett Hull was drafted 117th his year...   

Draft picks are essential for us to turn our club around.  We need every pick we can get our hands on.   Hamhuis and Vrbata for draft choices is critical for our club...

Where did I say anything about a 2nd round pick? Vrbata might get that, hamhuis coming off a severe injury might not.  On top of that I don't think Banning is looking, primarily, for draft picks......nor should he.  I'm betting he's looking for guys in the 20-22 range.  

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

So, while I think that Benning should move Vrbata at the very least because his on ice play can be replaced from within the system.  His mentorship has been invaluable to the development of Baertschi but t's time to cash in this chip.  A bigger chip would be Hamhuis, and they could get more for him but he is also more use to the team both on and off the ice.  He would also have to be replaced in the line up, they already need top 4 help.

i agree with all that you said, about the young guys getting valuable experience with any playoff experience,if for only the young guy's to see how the sedin's, hansen,burrow's ratchet up as well how the opposition kick,s it up .both hamhuis and elder have ntc,s with some conjecture that hamhuis would waive, thats the part i some what disagree with ,if hamhuis were to stay and resign ,(2 year 's) ,and try to move elder,albeit probably harder to convince to waive, i would like to see elder moved instead of hamhuis.unless before tdl elder miraculously turn's his game around. however if hamhuis is the only one of the 2 to waive i'll be  good with that. hanging on to either one of these guy's to long would be a mistake, both seemingly in decline. but both still having value,with the immergiance of the two russian's and maybe a good acuistion along the way. the canuck's d could look a whole lot better as soon as next year.

7 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

I think we can still be sellers n still make the playoffs it happens almost every year a team sells n ends up making or just missing playoffs. 

Yeah, for sure. Most people here agree that replacing Prust with Virtanen only made the team better. Same with replacing Higgins with Etem. It could be a similar story if Vrbata is dealt, because he's been very underwhelming so far, despite playing on a hot line.

34 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Benning says it's hard to trade for defencemen now, so team will need to draft and develop good defencemen. #Canucks

Benning says Shinkaruk "could" get a chance to play w #Canucks. Says if team needs top-6 scoring, he'd be the one called.

Benning says he's talked to some teams on Prust and he's waiting to hear back from one more team on him this morning. #Canucks

Benning asked how he reacts to stats showing #Canucks have 24% chance of making P/O. "I don't pay attention to any of that stuff."

Benning said teams'll be watching Hamhuis but "he's an important guy for us." #Canucks

Other thing Benning said is they'll be meeting w #Canucks pro scouts in next few weeks to decide on UFAs and where team's going.

So WD could play Shink on the 4th line and bump up Dorsett to the top 6

25 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

I just listened to an interview with TL who, when asked about the trade deadline, said they are taking it week to week. I find the response very disconcerting but obviously very much in line with GMJB. Obviously they are on the same page but if true, the lack of a long term plan and the determination to implement is disappointing. 'Make the playoffs' is an incredibly narrow vision imo. 

That is a real joke when you look at what has been done in such a short time already.

All you guys screaming for the vets to go are the same people who complain at what comes back, are the same people who complain about losing games, are the same people who then blame the coach and the GM  - and on and on it goes.

The "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW SOCIETY." Well her's a news flash, it doesn't work that way in sport look at the Oilers and half a dozen other NHL teams. Then look at Florida who have 6 guys over 35 years of age.

We need to be patient and there's no value in saying "I've been patient for 40 years" as the present management and coaches have only been here for just over a year and a half.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

If JB can't make these kinds of decisions he should not have accepted the job.. It is called .. 

in·teg·ri·ty
[inˈteɡrədē]

NOUN

1. the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness:
    "he is known to be a man of integrity"

So you're suggesting that not only is Jim Benning bad at his job and incompetent, but also lacks integrity, based on things that have yet to happen?  Might want to take a bit of a step back here.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Most canucks fans i know , don't care if this years team is competitive.

And how many of those are season ticket holders?

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

If JB can't make these kinds of decisions he should not have accepted the job.. It is called .. 

in·teg·ri·ty
[inˈteɡrədē]

NOUN

1. the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness:
    "he is known to be a man of integrity"

That's the wrong word for the wrong situation, bud.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

That is a real joke when you look at what has been done in such a short time already.

All you guys screaming for the vets to go are the same people who complain at what comes back, are the same people who complain about losing games, are the same people who then blame the coach and the GM  - and on and on it goes.

The "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW SOCIETY." Well her's a news flash, it doesn't work that way in sport look at the Oilers and half a dozen other NHL teams. Then look at Florida who have 6 guys over 35 years of age.

We need to be patient and there's no value in saying "I've been patient for 40 years" as the present management and coaches have only been here for just over a year and a half.

On the off-topic way of getting better AND older possibly, Jagr was a very shrewd pick-up for the Panthers. They're getting great performance from an older player most everyone didn't want anymore. One of their best forwards. Canucks picking up a player like that could also be a key to a playoff run.

Yeah I always find it amusing how so many who never buy a ticket think about tanking and playing to loose. It's OK if you're sitting watching on the TV, you can always turn to a selection of another 300 channels but for those that have dropped a spectacular amount of money to attend in person, you want to see your team win and do well...or chnaces are they won't be back next season. Remember this the Canucks almost left Vcr. The Pacific Coloseum was only 50% full ( 7000 paying cistomers) and you could fire a cannon in there and not hit any one. Now think about it do you really want to see the Canucks move ?

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah I always find it amusing how so many who never buy a ticket think about tanking and playing to loose. It's OK if you're sitting watching on the TV, you can always turn to a selection of another 300 channels but for those that have dropped a spectacular amount of money to attend in person, you want to see your team win and do well...or chnaces are they won't be back next season. Remember this the Canucks almost left Vcr. The Pacific Coloseum was only 50% full ( 7000 paying cistomers) and you could fire a cannon in there and not hit any one. Now think about it do you really want to see the Canucks move ?

Agreed it's realities like that that make the Linden, Benning, WD, Hank, Daniel, and all the way down the roster say "we are in it to win it" this season.

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

You forgot to mention The Bro asked about McCann not playing for about two weeks (and possibly not tonight) and Benning explained it's all part of the development plan they have for him.

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

So WD could play Shink on the 4th line and bump up Dorsett to the top 6

I believe GMJB said he gets called up if scoring is lacking from the top 6 so I'm pretty sure that means he will get a chance in the top 6 bud. And if not then it's back to Utica. Only way Shink makes the NHL is in a top 6 role. That's the type of player he is.

1 minute ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

I believe GMJB said he gets called up if scoring is lacking from the top 6 so I'm pretty sure that means he will get a chance in the top 6 bud. And if not then it's back to Utica. Only way Shink makes the NHL is in a top 6 role. That's the type of player he is.

One key difference between the best teams at developing players and the rest of the pack is clearly defining and utilizing those players in situations that help minimize their weaknesses while taking advantage of their strengths. That and the wisdom to accept a few bumps in the road.

I have zero doubt in my mind that Desjardins would put Shinkaruk on the 4th line if he was called up despite anything Benning says in the media. 

Archived