The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Once again, no shame Leafs tank

*Buzzsaw*

The Leafs are an absolute disgrace of an NHL franchise.

They force a coach who had no interest in joining them to join them by throwing the most money a hockey club has ever thrown at a coach.

The coach announces how there will be all sorts of pain before the season starts, and all of a sudden it's just expected by the entire world that the Leafs will suck so everyone in the organization gets a free pass.

The GM trades away anything and everything to try to bottom out and get good picks. The fans applaud it all.

Disgusting. But here's the kicker; you can't just turn a switch to go from sucking to winning. The Leafs are building their house of Sucksville and it has a minimum 10 year warranty. They want the best pick, but Auston Matthews is no McDavid. Even if they do land him, he won't save the franchise.  The Leafs should be penalized by the NHL for such obvious self-sabotage, but luckily, the hockey gods will enforce and uphold the codes that the Blue and White have broken by ensuring years more of missing the post-season.

What gets me is a lot of people think the Leafs are geniuses for doing what they're doing.  Last time I checked, it doesn't take a genius to finish last.  If they don't make the right choices with their picks and development, they will be in for more pain than they could ever imagine, and I will have zero sympathy for them.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

What gets me is a lot of people think the Leafs are geniuses for doing what they're doing.  Last time I checked, it doesn't take a genius to finish last.  If they don't make the right choices with their picks and development, they will be in for more pain than they could ever imagine, and I will have zero sympathy for them.

They had little choice going down this road but at least they're committed to it. They have a whole whack of picks in this draft and some of the best hockey people in the business to evaluate and develop those picks. If I were a Leafs fan, I'd be ecstatic right now.

6 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

They had little choice going down this road but at least they're committed to it. They have a whole whack of picks in this draft and some of the best hockey people in the business to evaluate and develop those picks. If I were a Leafs fan, I'd be ecstatic right now.

Not saying you're wrong, but if the same three showed up here all of a sudden those "best hockey people" would be regarded as someone with zero experience as a President of a hockey organization, a GM that hasn't been relevant in the NHL for a decade, and a top scout that has proven he can project junior talent only.  Beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder.  The reality? As usual, is somewhere in between.

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not saying you're wrong, but if the same three showed up here all of a sudden those "best hockey people" would be regarded as someone with zero experience as a President of a hockey organization, a GM that hasn't been relevant in the NHL for a decade, and a top scout that has proven he can project junior talent only.  Beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder.  The reality? As usual, is somewhere I between.

I think we can both agree on this. Believe me, I don't think they are geniuses at all. Matter of fact, there's not much difference between them and us both on the management side and team wise.

The have Shanny, we have Linden.

They have Lou. We have Weisbrod.

They have Dubas. We have Delorme. :P

Leafs appear to be going full Oilers by trading away everyone that has experience, leadership and even talent for that matter to try and build this thing from the ground up. Although they do have a lot better management/coaching in place. Will this method work for them or will it turn into an Oilers-esque cycle of endless futility? Only time will tell if this amount of rebuild repeats itself.

They're in for a wild ride these next couple of years!

I"m surprised Leafs didn't bite on the Vrbatta/Hamhuis deal and give us JVR. lol

This league is starting to show its colors, it's a frigging joke- half the teams are working for the playoffs and chasing the cup and the other half are chasing first round draft positions on purpose.  I guess after seeing teams like Pitts pick up Malkin and Crosby and becoming cup contenders 3 years later is why Oilers and Sabres (and now Leafs) are trying to get as many first rounders as possible.

The funniest thing is that out of all that they are openly doing to tank. They still are right there with the Oilers who just never seem to put it together.  No one can beat the tank master Oilers.  If they get another first pick I honestly dont know how Ill react....cry...scream...yell...unbelievably they are still going to get atleast top 5 which will be a very good player.

the leafs did an excellent job this year

shedding some horrible contracts, unbelievably bad ones, thought to be unmoveable

stocked up on numerous draft picks

unloaded a lot of middle of the road dead weight

their rebuild will be faster than people realize

they are really well positioned to go after free agents and to trade draft picks for quality players

they may not do that this off season

but they could actually be respectable after the 2016/17 season.. meaning for the 2017/18 season

• 5 weeks later...

The @MapleLeafs have recalled T.J. Brennan, Andrew Campbell, Kasperi Kapanen and Tobias Lindberg from the@TorontoMarlies. #TMLtalk

— Leafs PR (@LeafsPR) March 31, 2016

The @MapleLeafs have loaned Connor Brown, Connor Carrick, Zach Hyman and Rinat Valiev to the @TorontoMarlies. #TMLtalk

— Leafs PR (@LeafsPR) March 

At what point does this become deliberate? Connor Brown is nearly ppg in the 6 or so games that he has been called up. Hyman, Valiev and Carrick have also played very well from what I have read. Meanwhile they get sent down and career AHLers are called up in Brennan and Campbell. We know that the NHL will do nothing as last year they allowed the Sabres to trade a goalie just because he was playing too well. The fans paying for tickets don't care either as losses lead to a better pick. It just seems so disgraceful but literally no one cares at this time of the year.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

The @MapleLeafs have recalled T.J. Brennan, Andrew Campbell, Kasperi Kapanen and Tobias Lindberg from the@TorontoMarlies. #TMLtalk

The @MapleLeafs have loaned Connor Brown, Connor Carrick, Zach Hyman and Rinat Valiev to the @TorontoMarlies. #TMLtalk

At what point does this become deliberate? Connor Brown is nearly ppg in the 6 or so games that he has been called up. Hyman, Valiev and Carrick have also played very well from what I have read. Meanwhile they get sent down and career AHLers are called up in Brennan and Campbell. We know that the NHL will do nothing as last year they allowed the Sabres to trade a goalie just because he was playing too well. The fans paying for tickets don't care either as losses lead to a better pick. It just seems so disgraceful but literally no one cares at this time of the year.

I heard they are in fact going to do something about it

They just suspended Hutton 2 games for Leafs Game management :bigblush:

6 hours ago, Toews said:

I just heard about this and came on to post the exact same thing. It's one thing when there are a handful of games remaining in the season, your team is out of the playoff picture, and you start scratching players due to minor injuries. They've been battling it out all year, playing through injuries that need to heal.

However, when you have someone that is legitimately playing for an NHL roster spot, and succeeding, and you send him down. That's just bad sportsmanship.

Archived